walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ghabhar and Meall nan Eun from Glen Etive

Stob Ghabhar and Meall nan Eun from Glen Etive

Postby Gareth M » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:35 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Eun, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 24/07/2021

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1770m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I’d used so many user reports planning trips, I thought I’d give it a go in case my report is useful to someone as so many other reports were useful to me.

My last backpacking trip to the Highlands was way back in 2005. Back then it was a complete traverse of the main Mamore ridge. Unfortunately, while camping on the Stob Bàn, unforecasted thunderstorms rolled through in the night, including one directly above. Zero sleep happened but I emerged from the tent above the clouds in a wonderland, happy to have survived and able to complete my traverse to Binnein Mòr.

16 years later I'm not really sure why I hadn't planned another trip to the Highlands. Turning 40 I thought it's perhaps time to change that. Luckily my wife kindly gave me a birthday present of time and petrol for a trip when the weather and life allowed.

The forecast for the weekend was excellent, warm and sunny. The only drawback was that I was at my in-law’s golden wedding anniversary party in mid Wales on Friday night. So, I left the house at 6am on Saturday to walk the three miles to the train station, an hour and a half on the train and a 30-minute bus ride I was home in northwest Shropshire frantically packing my camping stuff. Then I was on the road, stopping at the supermarket to get supplies. Walking out of the shop I realised that I'd forgotten to pack my camera, I considered just using my phone, but I love taking photos and knew I'd regret not having my proper camera so a 20-minute drive back to get my camera and 20 minutes back to where I was, and I was once again on my way. All was going well until the M74 was closed and the sat nav took my on a detour with the rest of traffic heading north. After a 2-hour delay, I finally arrived in Glen Etive at 8pm excited by what lay ahead.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Leaving behind the busy roadside, full of people camping, I paddled across the river and headed into the hills past cascading waterfalls. The temperature was a warm 25 and my heavy pack was feeling all the more heavy in the heat. My target for the night was Aonach Mòr, and, given the time, it was simply a case of getting as high as I could as quick as I could before sunset. The climb was torturous with steep grassy slopes threading through the crags. I managed to get to a sort of summit at 575m and called it a night there. I set the tent up and watched the sunset behind Bidean nam Bian. To the east dark clouds were gathering and I was having flashbacks to the thunderstorms of 2005, my complete exhaustion meant I soon got to sleep and didn't worry too much about the weather.

IMG_5787 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5802 - Copy.JPG

In the morning I awoke to clear skies and packed the tent up while providing the midges with a nice breakfast. Tent packed up I got moving. As I climbed Aonach Mòr cloud started forming below me and the view gradually became more and more spectacular. Soon enough I was on top of the broad, rocky, undulating ridge above the clouds heading for Stob Ghabhar.

IMG_5828 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5851 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5861 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5879 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5886 - Copy.JPG

The summit of Stob Ghabhar was sensational, every direction presented amazing views of mountains emerging from a layer of cloud. After taking it all in for a while I headed off on the easy walk to the west across a few tops until I got to the steep descent into Lairig Dhochard. By now the low cloud had lifted slightly and made visibility poor once I started to descend into the gloom. As there was no path and many crags, I decided to play it safe and sit around in the sun waiting for the visibility lower down to improve.

IMG_5913 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5930 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5942 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5948 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5968 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5973 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6021 - Copy.JPG

After about an hour the cloud pushed back to the east slightly and I could see a safe route down. Safely down I collected some water and contemplated my plan. I had planned to complete a route all the way to Ben Starav, but the heat and my waning energy levels convinced me to abandon another night in the tent and cut the route short. First though I would climb Meall nan Eun. Initially the climb was tough up steep grassy slopes but the gradient eventually reduced significantly making a pleasant walk to the summit. The cloud had now lifted a bit obscuring the views slightly in some directions. It was here I met the only person of the trip, a paraglider waiting patiently for the cloud to lift. I thought about how quick it would be to glide back to my car before I also thought about how scary I would find it, personally I'd rather walk.

Now it was mostly downhill to the car, how hard can that be? As it turned out it could be quite a slog in the afternoon heat! First stop was a bit more climbing over Meall Tarsuinn before descending to the northeast over large rocky slabs. This part was good fun and easy going, then I reached the bottom of the slabs. Here the going was harder with long grass and hummocky ground, but I was optimistic there was a good track through the pass to the east of Stob Dubh as I'd seen one ascending from the opposite side from my camp the previous night. A seemingly endless trudge ensued through the pathless terrain spurred on by the thought of the easy track and the bottle of Coke that I'd left in the car. I eventually reached the track I'd seen the night before which was welcome relief even though it was far shorter than I'd hoped. A quick dip in Allt a' Chaorainn to wash the layers of sweat off and then back down to the relative hustle and bustle of Glen Etive. The bottle of Coke I'd cleverly left in my car to perk me up for the long drive home was now the temperature of the sun and undrinkable. Never mind, it wasn't too much of a disappointment after a brilliant, albeit exhausting, time in the hills. I was glad I'd made the effort (and returned for my camera) and it definitely won’t be another 16 years before I return.

IMG_6062 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6072 - Copy.JPG
Gareth M

Munros:24   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:7
Hewitts:183
Wainwrights:43   

Re: Stob Ghabhar and Meall nan Eun from Glen Etive

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:07 pm

Stunning photos and an interesting way to approach this hill!

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Stob Ghabhar and Meall nan Eun from Glen Etive

Postby Grisu » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:47 pm

Just as Tim said: stunning pictures and a real pleasure to watch! :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland