walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long hard slog up Loch Earn

A long hard slog up Loch Earn

Postby martin1909 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:42 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 14/03/2022

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 1120m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nothing to merit a full report on this one. A not so enjoyable day on the hills. From the moment I left the car to the moment I returned I felt fatigued and sluggish. The walk up Ben Vorlich was a slow slog. I lost count how many times I had to stop. it was wet and cold and for some reason, despite being bone dry, my mentality was that of someone who was soaked to the bone.
I plodded onwards however and summited Ben Vorlich. No views whatsoever at the top and rather windy. Had some food and thought this would fuel me onwards to Stuc a Chroin but it had not. I reached the base of the steep climb up Stuc a Chroin and a combination of a deep snowfield and near crippling fatigue forced the decision not to continue on.
Not a totally wasted day, one Munro in the bag and will be back up these 2 at some point in years to come.
I wonder if it had something to do with the libations at Gill's flat warming on the Saturday night, or perhaps the fact that someone in attendance tested positive for the Covid (which I only found out between Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin), who knows.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_2716.JPG
Ben Vorlich in the mist

IMG_2719.JPG
A ford on the way up

IMG_2727.JPG
Looking back down to Loch Earn

IMG_2738.JPG
Climbing a snow field with the summit of Ben Vorlich in view

IMG_2745.JPG
Looking back at Ben Vorlich
martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland