walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Here we go gathering subs in. . . March

Here we go gathering subs in. . . March

Postby thepigguy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:27 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dirrington Great Law, Sell Moor Hill, Spartleton

Date walked: 21/03/2022

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 548m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Spartleton
Distance: 5.4km
Ascent: 268m
Time taken: 2hr 30min (including breakfast)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was up very early, setting off from Edinburgh to visit my old mum in Cambridgeshire, and had got as far as Haddington on the A1 when I got a phone call. The care home was on lockdown after a Covid outbreak - trip postponed/cancelled.

So instead of staring at miles and miles of flat sugar beet fields, I took a swift detour into the Lammermuir Hills, following the diversion around Gifford and stopping just before 8am at the small car park by Whiteadder Reservoir.

spartleton1.jpg
Early morning on Whiteadder Reservoir

It's a very straightforward walk and the track moves alongside the end of the reservoir where geese were protesting at my presence so early. The sunshine was bright, but there was still a fair bit of frost around as I gently climbed towards Gamelshiel Castle.

spartleton2.jpg
The track leading away from the car park

spartleton3.jpg
Frosty going

Gamelshiel Castle was, apparently, one of a chain of forts guarding the route between Duns and Haddington. There's very little of it left, but it's certainly atmospheric and provides a highlight on the way up.

spartleton4.jpg
Gamelshiel Castle remains and Spartleton

spartleton5.jpg
Ruins of Gamelshiel Castle

Hopping over the burn near the ruins, the track rises around the hill, reaching a gate where I (following the WH route) turned right straight uphill, making my way through heather and along animal tracks. In hindsight it would have been easier to stroll up the track.

spartleton6.jpg
Lammermuir scenery

spartleton7.jpg
Time to turn uphill - best to stick with the track, which I didn't

The top of Spartleton came soon enough and I made myself comfortable in the increasingly warm sunshine and enjoyed breakfast and hazy views over South East Scotland, trying hard to ignore the banks of windmills here and there.

spartleton8.jpg
Top of Spartleton

spartleton9.jpg
Breakfast in the sunshine

I followed the track down from the top, picking up my outward route at the gate and heading back to the car. A really nice short hillwalk.

spartleton10.jpg
Heading back down

Dirrington Great Law
Distance: 5.17km
Ascent: 201m
Time taken: 1hr 45min

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The drive down to Dirrington Great Law took a bit longer than expected and I managed to overshoot the start point by about half-a-mile, having been looking for a tree plantation when the green patch on the map is actually an area of very young trees.

dirrington1.jpg
Dirrington Great Law from the road

It's a simple matter to set off along the track around the base of the hill, turning uphill alongside a wall and then crossing short heather towards the top.

dirrington2.jpg
Track through the plantation

dirrington3.jpg
Heading up across managed grouse moor

dirrington4.jpg
Muirburn - the whole walk was blighted by the smell of smoke

dirrington5.jpg
Dirrington Great Law summit

It was becoming surprisingly hot and I made slow progress, cutting away from the track through the heather and going directly to what looked like the high point (it's either that or another high point the other side of the toppled trig point).

Spending a while with a cup of tea at the top, I headed back down roughly the way I had come up.

dirrington6.jpg
The well-known toppled trig point

Sell Moor Hill
Distance: 2.24km
Ascent: 79m
Time taken: 45min

I headed down towards Duns and then turned back towards Edinburgh and decided to take a short detour at Lauder to "earn" another tick/blue balloon at Sell Moor Hill.

I parked by the cattle grid and walked across the rough grass to the corner by the small tree plantation. Here there's a wall that's in poor condition and a fair bit of wire (including an old electric fence obviously not live) that's even worse so it was easy to climb over into the field. I suspect there'll come a time fairly soon when the farmer will do some repairs so it may not always be as easy.

sellmoor1.jpg
Looking "uphill" from the road

sellmoor2.jpg
Most difficult part of the walk

sellmoor3.jpg
ATV track through the field

From here it barely qualifies as a walk, let alone a hill, as an ATV track through the field goes straight to the top where I hung around for five minutes before going back to the car.

sellmoor4.jpg
Sell Moor Hill summit
Attachments

thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland