walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A windy one on Creag a' Chliabhain again

A windy one on Creag a' Chliabhain again

Postby gld73 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:28 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creag a' Chliabhain

Date walked: 11/04/2022

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 465m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MWIS had predicted arduous conditions for hillwalking with high winds, but dry. By lunchtime there was still no sign of high winds in Inverness, so I decided to do a hill walk after all, and headed out to do Creag a' Chliabhain as it's a nice local one with a variety of ways up and down and no problem parking. Anyway, turned out MWIS predicted correctly! Dry, but very strong winds.

On this occasion I went up the north end; fortunately there's an ATV track avoiding the new forestry, though it's quite wet in places. I've only been down this end before, not gone up it. Eventually came to the deer fence across the 'plateau' and followed it a short distance right to get to the gate at the same time as a guy and his dog were coming down through the gate - first time I've ever met another person when doing walks on the Dunmaglass hills. Turned out he also lives in Inverness and thought it was so nice in town that a hill would be okay ... he told me I'd have trouble standing at the summit, and he was right.
20220411_145508.jpg
Crossing the causeway at the north end of Loch Conagleann to ascend the hill from this end

20220411_151623.jpg
Heading across wet flatter ground towards the summit (a higher bump hidden by the one ahead here)

20220411_154859.jpg
Summit cairn looking east

20220411_155423.jpg
Descent route going down this west side beside a stone wall

So a brief visit to the summit with a hastily snapped photo taken kneeling down for stability. I stood up, intending to do a full traverse of the hill by going down the south end (I've come up that way a couple of times), and quickly found myself being blown west. So that was my dictated descent this time; so windy, I didn't even bother trying to get over to the track which heads down the west side a bit further north, but just went a more direct route alongside a stone wall / fence. A combination of heather, gorse, tussocks and bog, but nothing too bad, and I came out on the track and followed it round again past the artist's studio etc and back along the wind-tunnel glen of Conagleann before rejoining the inward route and retracing my way back to the car.
Today's route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland