walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Hill from Earlston

Black Hill from Earlston

Postby thepigguy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Hill (Borders)

Date walked: 26/03/2022

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.13 km

Ascent: 290m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday morning in Edinburgh was bright and sunny and a walk seemed like a good idea, but I was restricted to bus routes and just fancied a short outing, so I settled on the 51 bus from Waterloo Place, getting off at Earlston at ten to ten.

Looking at local websites, there seem to be a few ways of extending the walk to something longer, but, with a time limit two-and-a-half hours I decided to head straight up the road from the bus stop in the middle of the small town.

The road isn't too busy, but some care is needed as there is little in the way of verge or pavement for much of the way.

I came out of woodland and saw the parking area ahead (room for three, maybe four cars) where I went through the gate and up the clearly signposted walkers' track, turning right after a few hundred yards to head straight to the hill.

blackhill1.jpg
Looking back to the car park from the walkers' path

blackhill2.jpg
Black Hill from the walkers' path

blackhill3.jpg
Signposting is clear

blackhill4.jpg
Track up to Black Hill

Once at the base of the hill there's a choice of walking round and gently up or attacking the thing head on. I went for option B and followed a faint path straight uphill. I was glowing nicely by the time I clambered up to the top.

blackhill5.jpg
Taking a direct(ish) route

blackhill6.jpg
Height is very quickly gained

Views weren't the greatest on such a hazy, sunny day, but it was still a smashing place to be on such a beautiful, warm morning so I hung around and sunbathed for about 30 minutes before setting off back down, this time taking the grassy path down the gentle side of the hill before turning left near the bottom to rejoin the track to the road.

blackhill7.jpg
If you can't see the Eildons, there's a good chance you're not in the Borders

blackhill8.jpg
Top of Black Hill

blackhill9.jpg
Earlston

blackhill10.jpg
Path back down

blackhill12.jpg
Looking back on the way down

Not a spectacular hill, but absolutely worth a couple of hours of anyone's time and one I shall be visiting again.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland