walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Who will be the Bidey-in on Bidean?

Who will be the Bidey-in on Bidean?

Postby kevsbald » Sun May 31, 2009 11:41 am

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian

Date walked: 31/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was superb; so good in fact that I left any sheep-like material in the car. Andrew, my future brother-in-law was joining me and was keen to tackle one of the 'wee hills' in Scotland - he is American and he had thrown down the gauntlet. I was keen therefore for him to enjoy a typical 'wee' Scottish hill. We hit the car park at 0830 in order to beat the hordes and began our walk up to Coire nan Lochan. It was a pleasant meander but I was probably not walking to my partner's comfort - well, it was only a 'wee' hill. Andrew revelled in the shites for shore eyesh and was snap-happy with new camera. We eventually got onto the ridge up to Stob Coire Nan Lochan and once we topped out, the view was utterly amazing.
IMG_2323.JPG
The view across to BIdean Nam Bian
The steep buttress of Bidean ahead, a sweep round to Loch Linnhe and beyond and Sgreamhach in the distance. We decided to have lunch here and I brought out 2 cans of root beer - how good was that. Andrew had sandwiches but he obviously wasn't aware of the 'lunch du jour' competition. My pasta, cajun chicken-rice concoction won hands down. We got going and began the last steep climb towards Bidean. We took our glory shots,
df (74).JPG
Poser!
headed down the ridge towards Sgreamhach, then the slippery descent to the Hidden Valley. It is rather an awkward wee gully that you have to descend off the bealach and care is needed. We both 'glissaded' down the snow slope just below this, which was much fun and then once at the foot of the Hidden Valley, Andrew decided to take a skinny-dip in a wee pool. I knew he was daft but allowed him to proceed. As he submerged himself, he shouted "Aaaah, this is just.......freaking freezing!" He departed the lochan tout de suite with no lack of haste and no crotch. After I had tested the watter (fecking baltic), we dried off and headed back to the car. It truly was a majestic day and one to remember. BTW, Andrew was bushed in the car and took him a 'wee' while to recover..... 8)
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Who will be the Bidey-in on Bidean?

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Always a favourite hill - interested to see how much snow is left... bet it's nearly gone now.

Poser!
:lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:20 am

Amazing that you got an American up a mountain from the ones I've seen! My American ex was the size of a house and expanding all the time - a 5 minute walk used to bring on total collapse! I suppose there must be some fit ones though... LOL to his swim in the lochan! What temperature was he expecting? :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Alan S » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 am

well done on that

im sure i recognise that posing shot from a previous report
or is that your trademark shot :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Michelle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:47 pm

When we Americans see water we think we're to swim in it... good for you Kev holding your silence as your future in-law took a dip in the nice 'pool'... myself, I'd have been laughing too hard and spoiled his chilly surprise :lol:

This was my first munro, though I wish I'd hit it on so nice a day. As for the views, I must live vicariously through photos... that's the trouble with living so far away from these great hills, takes some planning to get to, so (to an extent) I have to take what I can get with the weather/views while I'm there.
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland