walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carnan Cruithneachd from Morvich - great viewpoint

Carnan Cruithneachd from Morvich - great viewpoint

Postby gld73 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:06 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Carnan Cruithneachd

Date walked: 19/04/2022

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finished my shift at 9am with no overnight call-outs thank god (the 2 days had been busy), so a good breakfast at the Kyle Hotel before checkout and then off to find a hill to do on the way home. I'd abandoned my plans to do the grahams across the bridge in south Skye as they were in cloud, and the forecast was pretty mixed on the west coast generally - but along the A87 looked better weather than the Strathcarron road, so I headed in that direction. I've done most of the baggable summits from the A87 through Kintail, Glenshiel and Cluanie, but there was a graham I'd never really noticed which could be done from Morvich. Read a couple of walk reports giving the most straightforward route to it, so parked by the Kintail Mountain Rescue building (the landrover which had been at the Glenelg job with us a couple of days earlier was parked there) and did the initial route I've done 3 times for other hills, before branching off on the Glomach Falls path, through the forestry, then onwards to Carnan Cruithneachd. A nice looking hill when it comes into view.
APDC8376.JPG
Looking back

APDC8377.JPG
Back to Beinn Fhada and part of Five Sisters ridge

APDC8378.JPG
Carnan Cruithneachd appears ahead

APDC8379.JPG

An enjoyable walk, a lot of it on clear (if wet) tracks and paths before hopping a stream and heading up the pathless hill. After rain and snow melt I thought it would be wetter than it was, but I didn't need the wellies I'd taken with me, walking boots were absolutely fine. Think I may have been helped by muirburn on the lower slopes, the charred vegetation was very low and so easy to walk up the grassy ramps which avoided the craggy rocks. Fantastic viewpoint when I got to the top, and a nice summit cairn on the obvious high point. Returned the same way. Got lucky with the weather given the mixed forecast, 2 or 3 very light showers, but cloud always stayed above the hill - no midges or clegs at this time of year either.
APDC8380.JPG

APDC8381.JPG

APDC8382.JPG

APDC8383.JPG

APDC8384.JPG

APDC8385.JPG
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland