walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and no more - compleation on Mull

Ben More and no more - compleation on Mull

Postby snowdonia7 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:49 am

Route description: Ben More (Mull) from Dhiseig

Munros included on this walk: Ben More (Mull)

Date walked: 21/04/2022

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 997m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After 12 years our Munro journey was finally compleated after summiting Ben More on Mull. In that time Neil and I had climbed 263 of these peaks together, thanks for making the journey with me mate. Also thanks to the girls with putting up with us spending so much time away from home on this pursuit.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On the big day we woke to fairly heavy winds, but at least there was no sign of any rain. We followed the normal route and en route were overtaken by a young chap speeding upwards - that was us when we started our Munro quest - maybe not as young but a lot quicker that we now were 😁

Nearing the summit we reached a plateau I had ran as far as during a training run almost 20 years ago. At the time I had no thoughts of doing the munros and only didn’t go to the summit as I had a ferry to catch.
The final few hundred metres has a bit of a kick, especially into a fierce headwind. The strong winds also meant that once we reached the summit shelter we quickly hunkered down. The walls of the shelter were fair low and we moved a few large stones to create more of a windbreak and in doing so I dropped one on my walking pole and snapped it, much to Neil’s amusement. Well it had served me well.

Once we were comfortable we enjoyed a little celebratory drink and even had some phone signal so we could FaceTime the wives to join in the celebration.

FA0DDF85-12CB-42E6-BB4F-619E68335C9E.jpeg
Ben More

89282458-0049-477B-B61A-89A24552F390.jpeg
Celebratory compleation champers

On the way down the hill was starting to get a little busier, but eventually we stopped telling everyone we met that we had just compleated😅
Last edited by snowdonia7 on Sun May 01, 2022 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Re: Ben More and no more - compleation on Mull

Postby munrogimp » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:59 am

Diolch Dave, as they say on Britain's Got Talent: it's been a journey. That's a lot of miles walked and driven together over those years. During which time we sometimes spoke to each other. When we did speak it was usually about kit you'd forgotten to bring/buy/find/return.
Your dietary habits, low fluid intake and propensity to sweat just doing up your boots make it a wonder you managed some of those very long days out.
If you fancy another walking challenge sometime I have the telephone numbers of a few people who might be interested in joining you.
Thanks for making memories matey. Diolch eto hen ffrind. Neil
munrogimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby IreneM » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:35 pm

Huge congratulations on your Compleation! :clap: :clap: :clap:

What next.........Corbetts perhaps? :wink:
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:198
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:01 pm

Congratulations both of you - as you say quite a journey! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:08 pm

Congratulations and well done :clap: - a great way to finish.
Two compleations on this hill in the same month - it's getting busy - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland