walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monamenach - short walk/steep climb

Monamenach - short walk/steep climb

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:48 pm

Route description: Monamenach, Glen Isla

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Date walked: 22/04/2022

Time taken: 1.6 hours

Distance: 5.8 km

Ascent: 482m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday was such a nice day that I just had to get out to the hills. The previous evening sunset was spectacular and so the plan was to start this walk at around 8pm allowing me to get to the top of Monamenach before the sun was down. Great plan but by 3.30pm I couldn't wait any longer so grabbed some gear and headed off on the fairly short drive over to Glen Isla.

It was just before 5pm I started walking so definitely no sunset pics but a beautiful early evening none the less. It's 9 years since I last climbed this hill and all I could really remember was that it was a short and steep climb and nothing has changed in the intervening years - it's still short and it's still steep!!

I parked at the bridge over the Isla, a few hundred yards beyond Auchavan and walked back to the road to start the climb.

1.jpg
View into the Cairngorms following the River Isla and Monega Hill route

Bearing right past the buildings and sharp left at the turning area I was quickly clear of Auchavan and after taking a left on to a grassy track I quickly hit the main track that heads steeply uphill.

3.jpg
Grassy track heading away from Auchavan

Head down time and try and keep the legs moving as I trudge up the ever steepening slope till I reach the bealach between my intended hill and Creagan Caise.

4.jpg
Good track to follow

5.jpg
First view of Mount Blair at the bealach

At this point there is a fairly obvious wide grassy track heading off to the right and up to the top of Monamenach and fairly quickly I'm at the top with fantastic views into the Gorms and to the south. There is the odd cloud around and when the sun is blocked out and the wind is fairly strong it's a reminder that it can still be quite cold at this height even it it's fairly warm back down in the more sheltered glen.

6.jpg
Summit of Monamenach

7.jpg
View into the Cairngorms

8.jpg
And again

9.jpg
The summit with Mount Blair beyond

I stayed at the summit for about 15 minutes which was enough time to eat two dairylea cheese and raspberry jam rolls and a white chocolate Kit Kat. A wander round the summit and a few photos bagged and it was time to head back down the hill. Back at the bealach I considered wandering over to Creagan Caise but decided to leave it for another day.

It didn't take long to get back down the hill and as I approached Auchavan I turned left after the grassy track to head towards the woods and then down to the bridge where the car was parked.

And the reason for this was as follows..............

13.jpg

10.jpg
Excuse me Mr, can I have a shot?

11.jpg

12.jpg
Monega Hill route

It was 6.30pm and there was nobody about (I don't think there was anyone about when I started just before 5pm either) so a good chance to get up close to some of these machines and get some photos. The trees are all stacked right beside the Monega Hill route. The actual felling seems to be taking place on higher ground but there could well be logging lorries being loaded directly on the path on any given day.

From the forestry works it's only about 100 yards back to the bridge over the Isla and the start of the walk.

Looking over to the parking area from the forestry works.jpg
Looking over to the parking area from the forestry works

14.jpg
View from the bridge

15.jpg
Decent parking area although the forestry workers may use this when they are on site

In terms of Corbetts this is about as easy as it gets. My actual walking time was 1 hr 26 mins with the remainder taken up with eating and taking photos.

Really nice night to be out (even if it was way too early to see the sunset).

Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Monamenach - short walk/steep climb

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm

Nice to see what it looks like minus the clag! My memories of this one are of clammy opaqueness, relentless midges and picking up seven ticks between us... so probably my least favourite Corbett. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:43 pm

dogplodder wrote:Nice to see what it looks like minus the clag! My memories of this one are of clammy opaqueness, relentless midges and picking up seven ticks between us... so probably my least favourite Corbett. :wink:

Yip, you single handedly put me off the Monega Hill circuit with that report (although I was checking out the route when I was on the top of Monamenach).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Don't be put off... .Minus clag, midges and ticks it would be a great round. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland