walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aoineadh Mor hair raising clifftop walk

Aoineadh Mor hair raising clifftop walk

Postby litljortindan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:21 am

Date walked: 23/04/2022

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 753m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is a slow but beautiful drive along the west shore of Loch Linnhe. Several stops to wait for lambs, deer, sheep and pheasants to get out of the way.

Moonrise or moonset.

I had a memorable winter walk/scramble up Sgorr Bhan's east ridge in1992.

Sgurr na h-Eanchainne.

Bidean nam Bian prominent to the east always makes my mind cast back to a memorable bivvy on Stob Coire nan Lochan.

Early light on Loch Sunart.

Arriving in time for the 7am ferry and being the only customer is a slightly surreal experience. No-one there to wave me on so do I drive aboard anyway? I decide to comply with the 10 minute check-in rule and drive aboard. No-one seems to mind,

I have fond memories of Ben Tallaidh. Climbed it twice and got the same sunset inversion conditions on both occasions. The first time there I slept on the summit and the second time was a case of hunt the bothy in the drizzly dark that had descended with us.

Ben More looking good in the sun.

I recall that it took me an hour to drive from Fishnish to the start of the walk the last time I was here and so it proved again.
No hardship to have to drive slowly through such splendid scenery. I parked opposite the track that contours to the sheep dip that is marked on the map where there's room for one small car.

Easy start along the track but you have to exercise some judgement as to when to cut off for the cliffs. It is also not easy to spot for the return.

I had spent quite a lot of time imagining a return here after my first overcast visit, alternately telling myself that it would be disappointing and not worth the effort and that it would match my imaginings and map interpretations of dramatic cliffs above the sea. At the very least, I thought, I am getting a good view of Scarba.

The unusual weather vane marks the point where it is worth starting to think about cutting off the track and heading directly for the cliffs.

Carsaig Bay.

Sron nam Boc and the Paps of Jura. I'll never forget climbing Ben an Oir with my wife, Jill. She had decided to wait just below the summit because of various concerns but then popped up on the summit ridge as I was making my way back from the southern end.

View east from Sron nam Boc.

View south from Sron nam Boc to Islay and Jura.

Sron nam Boc, Rubha Dubh and Laggan Deer Forest.

Scarba again with Garvellachs in front.

Looking back at Sron nam Boc from about 500m north east of Nuns' pass.

The relatively easy slopes of Nuns' pass, my farthest point west last time I was here.

And I have to say that there is life beyond Nuns pass!

On the way up again.

Photos don't really do justice to the scenery.

There are many dramatic gullies along the way to the corner above Malcolm's Point.

At the next rise I see that I still have a fair way to go.

At this point I consider whether or not I have enough time to continue and still catch the 2.50pm ferry. I decide to continue, knowing that I can be a bit quicker on the return leg. In theory at least!

For anyone who likes scrambling there is a sort of ridge topping part of the cliffs for some distance.

Each slight change in direction of the cliffline opens up a new perspective, if that isn't too obvious a thing to state.

Laggan Deer Forest -more Mull cliffs for future exploration.

I think this is the first waterfall whose source is Lochan an Aoinidh.

Fly-past.

Solitary deer takes flight.

Lochan Codh' an Dunain.

Could be the burn that feeds the waterfall just east of Carsaig Arches.

I think this is the point immediately above Carsaig Arches; not that it matters, just trying to get my bearings.

Definite turning point in the cliffline. I should probably have carried on a bit further from here but I wanted to get the 2.50pm ferry so I stopped.

Bottom right is probably the shelf above Carsaig Arches.

Interesting terrain.

Reconnaissance photo.

Vortex.

An entertaining scrambly edge in parts.

All in all a good workout for the new boots and the old legs.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Aoineadh Mor hair raising clifftop walk

Postby Anne C » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:06 pm

What a terrific walk, litljortindan! Those views to Jura and so clear too. 👍Will need to look at that walk next time we're headed to Mull.Only walked along the coast there, not the tops.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:52 am

Anne C wrote:What a terrific walk, litljortindan! Those views to Jura and so clear too. 👍Will need to look at that walk next time we're headed to Mull.Only walked along the coast there, not the tops.

Highly recommended but definitely one for good weather to get the views of the islands.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby denfinella » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:26 pm

Fantastic! I wonder... do you think the slope / cliffs above Carsaig Arches (directly below where you turned back) are scalable (as a walker, not a climber)? I quite fancy the idea of going out along the the coastline and back along the clifftops.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby onsen » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:25 am

Great looking walk. Stunning views. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby litljortindan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:01 pm

denfinella wrote:Fantastic! I wonder... do you think the slope / cliffs above Carsaig Arches (directly below where you turned back) are scalable (as a walker, not a climber)? I quite fancy the idea of going out along the the coastline and back along the clifftops.

There's a suggestion here that this is possible:
https://kinleyhazel.wordpress.com/2017/12/30/brolass-and-malcolms-point-20th-december-2017/

I'd say the gully just east of Carsaig Arches would be ok but with a little bit of scrambling at the top. I guess you could also ascend a couple of miles west of Carsaig Arches. That would be quite a walk.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:03 pm

onsen wrote:Great looking walk. Stunning views. :thumbup:

It is a good walk but the weather made it. When I was there is the mist previously it didn't seem quite so good.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby denfinella » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:15 am

litljortindan wrote:There's a suggestion here that this is possible:
https://kinleyhazel.wordpress.com/2017/12/30/brolass-and-malcolms-point-20th-december-2017/

I'd say the gully just east of Carsaig Arches would be ok but with a little bit of scrambling at the top. I guess you could also ascend a couple of miles west of Carsaig Arches. That would be quite a walk.

Thank you. That sounds promising. Yes, I was thinking of the gully too, or perhaps a few hundred metres of there if the OS contours / cliff bands are accurate*. The next potential break in the cliffs to the west looks quite a distance away - probably a bit far for a day given all the pathless terrain.

*Edit: actually, maybe not the latter option as I think one of your photos shows that location and it doesn't look viable.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby litljortindan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:26 am

Confirmation: http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?rf=1321
So the gully east of Carsaig Arches would work but I also see someone has ascended via the gully next to Binnein Ghorrie.
litljortindan
Ambler

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland