walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Discretion over valour and the birth of a cunning plan

Discretion over valour and the birth of a cunning plan

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:57 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Fraoch Bheinn

Date walked: 18/04/2022

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 1030m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I got precious little sleep in A'Chuil bothy. Luna had clearly decided that up on the sleeping platform with me was a better option than the floor in front of the fire and then spent much of the night trying to create a space to occupy between my legs to lie in comfort.

I nipped out at 5am to answer an urgent call of nature and didn't particularly like what I saw. It was wall to wall grey behind a curtain of thick drizzle. I retreated back to the sleeping platform after a quick check of the fire confirmed that it was pretty much dead and seemingly beyond resuscitation.

A few hours later and I was back up getting coffee and porridge on the go. The weather looked like it had picked up marginally with signs that the sun was at least going to make some sort of effort again today to burn through. After packing up, sweeping out, taking the spade for a walk in the trees and bidding farewell to Ryan, we were off through the flat boggy meadows in front of the bothy heading back to the rickety old footbridge, from where we climbed up onto the track and turned right for the walk back out to the car.

I had decided last night (the decision being apparently vindicated at 5am this morning) to give Sgurr na Ciche and Garbh Cioch Mhor a miss today in favour of the Corbett of Fraoch Bheinn. More faffing around on Corbetts, procrastinating and time wasting on my efforts to hit 22 new Munros in 2022. However, there was reason and a cunning plan behind my thinking. Apart from the fact that the weather still looked to be in the balance, I had cooked up a plan last night as I perused the OS sheet by headtorch light to do these two Munros via a kayak trip down Loch Quoich. Whether it will be sometime in 2022 or after that remains to be seen.

IMG_2222.JPG
Looking back across the meadow to A'Chuil

IMG_2223.JPG
Fraoch Bheinn across the River Dessary

IMG_2224.JPG
The bothy from that bridge

IMG_2226.JPG
Off the hill path and onto the track at the house at Upper Glendessary

IMG_2233.JPG
Looking back to Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoidh

Back at the car I pulled my little daypack out from inside the big overnight pack and proceeded to retrace my steps back past Strathan and into Glen Dessary to the point where the Right of Way signposted for Tomdoun branches off and climbs up beside the Dearg Allt on its way between Fraoch Bheinn and Sgurr Mhurlagain into the depths of Glen Kingie.

The grassy track rose steeply and round a few sharp bends before I was forced to pull myself away from it and take to the steep, pathless, rugged terrain of the southern spur of Fraoch Bheinn.

IMG_2240.JPG
Up Glen Dessary

IMG_2246.JPG
I do believe Luna has managed to achieve lift off!!!???

The views soon opened up in most directions, west up Glenn Dessary, east down Loch Arkaig, south across the Glenfinnan hills and north up the relentless broad Corbett ridge.

IMG_2248.JPG
East - Loch Arkaig and Mullach Coire nan Geur-oirean

IMG_2254.JPG
South - Streap, Glenfinnan Munros, Monadh Gorm and the long ridge running up to Carn Mor

IMG_2257.JPG
North - Dog thinking "Stop taking photos and hurry up you ridiculous two-legged fool!"

IMG_2267.JPG
West - Up Glen Dessary to Carn Mor and Bidein a'Chabhair

All was well with the world, at least around these parts it was! My knees were not cracking up under the stress of a steep, rough descent (no doubt that would come later!), the 5am rain was a distant memory, the weather was experiencing its best spell of the past 24 hours and my situation was altogether more satisfactory and appealing than it usually is at this time of a Monday morning!

IMG_2268.JPG
Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoidh - flashback to yesterday

IMG_2270.JPG
Across the western extremity of Loch Arkaig to Gaor Bheinn and Braigh nan Uamhachan - two hills that owe me a more favourable return visit

IMG_2271.JPG
Braigh nan Uamhachan, Streap and Sgurr Thuilm

IMG_2276.JPG
Ridge narrowing

IMG_2277.JPG
Sgurr Mhurlagain and the long arc of Loch Arkaig

IMG_2278.JPG
Luna loving life in the hills

IMG_2279.JPG
Not too shabby for a Monday morning

IMG_2283.JPG
Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoidh and Knoydart peaks beyond

IMG_2281.JPG
The money shot from just below the summit

The cairn was eventually reached with the weather looking like it was about to let me down. A bit of low cloud was starting to barrel in from the west and the temperature was dropping. The joys of hill walking in April in Scotland!

IMG_2284.JPG
Summit looking north

IMG_2286.JPG
Summit looking south

IMG_2290.JPG
Summit looking west

IMG_2291.JPG
Summit looking at an old geezer with dodgy knees and a dog with her arse in the air

From the summit I figured the best course of action was to drop as quickly and directly as possible more or less due east into the glen running from Strathan north north east into Glen Kingie. It might be steep and brutal as far as my knees were concerned, but it should be fairly short and sharp. As I left the summit spring suddenly became winter and a series of April showers blew in and out, back in and back out again, seemingly alternating every couple of minutes between spring and winter.

IMG_2294.JPG
Gairich and Sgurr Mhurlagain

IMG_2295.JPG
Loch Arkaig across the southern ridge of Sgurr Mhurlagain

IMG_2296.JPG
North across the Sgurr an Fhuarain/Gairich bealach to the northern arm of Loch Quoich and Gleouraich with the South Glen Shiel Ridge beyond

IMG_2300.JPG
Another squall passing away down Loch Arkaig and the crags below which I had just tried to take shelter from it

IMG_2302.JPG
Sgurr Mhurlagain now wearing a slight dusting of white

IMG_2306.JPG
Another squall sweeping in from Glen Kingie

IMG_2309.JPG
And back to glorious spring sunshine

IMG_2311.JPG
Next squall about to hit

Eventually made it back down into the glen and the weather calmed itself down. Flat and easier going on the knees but a monumental bog trot in places. The grassy/boggy track eventually joined up with a more substantial track that led down to the Tomdoun RoW signpost and then back past the old barracks to the car at the end of Loch Arkaig.

IMG_2317.JPG
Fraoch Bheinn from the east

IMG_2320.JPG
Gaor Bheinn, Braigh nan Uamhachan and Streap

IMG_2321.JPG
The Glenfinnan gang

IMG_2325.JPG
Dropping back down alongside the Dearg Allt into the glen

Then it was just a case of facing the rollercoaster Loch Arkaig road and the rest of the 3 hour journey back home to face the music of a new term and ponder where on earth all these Munros that I'm supposed to be doing this year are going to come from. And to dream about one day kayaking down Loch Quoich to reach Sgurr na Ciche and Garbh Cioch Mhor.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Discretion over valour and the birth of a cunning plan

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 am

I do love reading your "slowest way to get the hills done" reports :lol: It's the antidote to the hustle and bustle of modern day living/hillwalking. Of course the fact that Sgurr Mhurlagain was just a wee hop skip and jump from Fraoch Bheinn wouldn't tempt you at all. I'm thinking 21 more Munros this year is looking...um...unlikely :)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Graeme D » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 am

weaselmaster wrote:I do love reading your "slowest way to get the hills done" reports :lol: It's the antidote to the hustle and bustle of modern day living/hillwalking. Of course the fact that Sgurr Mhurlagain was just a wee hop skip and jump from Fraoch Bheinn wouldn't tempt you at all. I'm thinking 21 more Munros this year is looking...um...unlikely :)

20 more. I don't need folk like you making it any more challenging than it already is! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby snowdonia7 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:49 am

This discretion over valour notion makes sense, so why did Neil and I set off that morning into the wall of mist and drizzle to do four munros from the parking area at the head of the loch (your car must have been one of those there when we arrived).
I too like the idea of approaching a hill via kayak, but allowed the fact that I didn’t have one, or couldn’t face transporting one up from north Wales to stop me doing this.
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland