walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Millstone Hill Walk, near Bennachie

Millstone Hill Walk, near Bennachie

Postby Real Relaxing Nature » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:02 am

Route description: Millstone Hill, near Bennachie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Millstone Hill

Date walked: 08/04/2022

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4.75 km

Ascent: 320m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Distance: 4.75 km/3 miles
Time: 1.5-3 hours
Ascent: 320 m
Terrain: Good waymarked paths, rocky and very steep at times..
Recorded on 8th of April 2022

This is a fine circular walk ascends Millstone Hill, a southern neighbour of Bennachie. According to the walk webpage, this route offers a gradual transition from conifer plantations, through birchwoods, to heather hill-top and gives excellent views. I recorded the walk in 4K, and I would like to share a short preview of this walk with you. Please find below the YouTube link:

The full version of this video is also available on Sunday this week in my channel.

I hope you enjoy watching it. If you would like to support me, please subscribe my YouTube channel. All support is hugely appreciated, and it all goes to helping me keep the channel going! Your support also helps me for things like petrol, car maintenance, overnight stays in places, parking tickets, admission, and entry fees to different places.

Please find below the walk description:
Attachments
1.png
1. I started this walk from the Donview car park located south of Bennachie. The is waymarked in green so it is easy to follow. However, I suggest you download the GPX route file and open it in a GPX viewer app.
2.png
2. Higher up, the path becomes rocky and climbs much more steeply. Waterproof hiking shoes are highly recommended.
3.png
3. You reach a point that there is a large slab which provides you with a perfect location to rest. The view is spectacular at that point.
4.png
4. When the summit is reached, you have an amazing view of Mither Tap. It was a windy day, and it was difficult to walk when I reached there. I do not recommend that you reach the summit when there is weather warning in place.
5.png
5. I followed the path as it descended northeast from the summit. The view was amazing.
6.png
7.png
6. As the path crossed three forest tracks, there were some locations that the path was blocked (6 locations). You can find diversions, but it was a bit challenging for me to find the main path. Therefore, i believe it may be challenging for people who wants to complete the route by children.
8.png
9.png
10.png
11.png
12.png
Real Relaxing Nature
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland