walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall na Leitreach - small hill, big view

Meall na Leitreach - small hill, big view

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun May 01, 2022 3:48 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Leitreach

Date walked: 19/03/2022

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a very pleasant walk, with some stunning views, on a perfect spring day.

I missed the WH parking spot - didn't turn left immediately after leaving the A9. But there was a large parking area beyond some cottages, with a fine view of A'Mharconaich.

ImageIMG_9257 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Railway bridge over the Allt Coire Mhic-sith. The recommended parking area is just to the left-hand side of this view, next to the level crossing.

ImageIMG_9261 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Sgàirneach Mhòr above pools on the Allt Dubhaig, which flows from from the Drumochter summit. There are some geese on the water, Greylags maybe.

ImageIMG_9274 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Sow of Atholl from the sluice dam

ImageIMG_9281 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The outflow of Loch Garry, from the next dam

ImageIMG_9295 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back to Dalnaspidal. The prominent hill just right of centre is the southern 900m summit of A'Bhuidheanach Bheag.

ImageIMG_9301 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The ascent is quick and easy. About half-way up the slope, this pool of melted snow caught my eye.

ImageIMG_9315 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

At the top of the slope, a track branches off to the right to the 748m summit, which gave me views of the Drumochter hills - this is Sgàirneach Mhòr and A'Mharconaich.

ImageIMG_9352 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The Cairngorms from the same spot. From left to right I think the main summits are Braeriach, the Angel's Peak, Cairn Toul, Ben Macdui just to its right with Monadh Mòr below it, the sharp scarp of Stob Coire Sputan Dearg, and Beinn Bhrotain.

ImageIMG_9356 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Just beyond the 748m cairn, there was a fantastic full-length view of Loch Garry in its deep glacial trench. I think the very distant peak on the left of the first photo is Stob Ghabhar (above the building on the shore of the loch).

ImageIMG_9365 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9364(3) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9362 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Drumochter. The geese are now on the loch, directly below the Sow.

ImageIMG_9360 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From there, it was a relaxed stroll, with wonderful views in every direction, to the main summit of Meall na Leitreach. This is the cairn from the point at which a small path leaves the track, with Ben Vrackie behind.

ImageIMG_9368 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The eastern Drumochter hills.

ImageIMG_9387 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Apart from the cairn, the only landmark on the flat summit is a pond which probably looks like a dull puddle most days, but today was rather attractive, with Schiehallion in the distance.

ImageIMG_9369 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Hazy view of Ben Lawers above Càrn Gorm, and the Tarmachan ridge on the right, with a glimpse of Loch Rannoch below it.

ImageIMG_9394 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking south-west - I think the distant skyline is Beinn a'Chreachain on the left, Beinn Mholach in the middle distance, then Stob Ghabhar just right of centre, and Creise catching the light to its right.

ImageIMG_9398 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view to the west - I think the pointed peak is Sgòr Gaibhre, and Ben Alder dominates the view.

ImageIMG_9407 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Descending to Drumochter

ImageIMG_9445 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Back at Dalnaspidal, a last glimpse of Loch Garry.

ImageIMG_9470 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Meall na Leitreach - small hill, big view

Postby Hillbeback » Mon May 02, 2022 6:38 pm

Hi Tim,

You got reasonable weather for this. A nice shorter hill to do. I am taking a note of this one as it may be ideal for me if l am up to it in June. Not too taxing and good views from the summit.

Thanks for sharing.

Hope you enjoyed your Easter break in Scotland.

Moira.
Moira
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland