walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Is there an easier option to get three munros in one go?

Is there an easier option to get three munros in one go?

Postby Milo12 » Sun May 01, 2022 6:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 01/05/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 17.7 km

Ascent: 1210m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As the map indicated that there would be a trail for these three munros and given that they are sitting close to a main road, this should make for an enjoyable and easy enough outing. I did not expect that the trails were in very good quality, no bog as far as the eye can see and whenever it got steep there was even a nice little zigzag to help you make progress! I was clearly in for a Sunday treat with this outing.

I parked at Lundie and made my way up an old military road, It must have got a makeover recently as there are sections with large rocks that haven't quite settled in yet. So while making good progress, I did have to watch my step every now and then. Soon enough, the trail veers off to the right, now getting more grassy and making its way gently up the hill. The views are nice enough and I was hoping that the noise from the road would disappear once I was a bit higher up.

The trail never gets really steep and in the only section where the mountainside gets steep there is very good zigzags. More time to enjoy the views across the surrounding mountain ranges and Loch Cluanie which are getting better the higher I get. The top of Carn Ghluasaid is the first to come up and it seems to be hiding a bit. The trail levels out quite a bit and there are a number of cairns all looking like they could be it given the flat top of the munro. I even had to check the map to make sure I did have the real top which is a bit farther off. I wouldn't be surprised if some just miss it, tempted by the clear ridge to the left that is leading up towards Sgurr nan Conbhairean.

Onwards and upwards off to Sgurr nan Conbhairean. The top looks beautiful and I can see other walkers ahead having reached it already. The last bits of snow add to the charm and the steep section up to the top is quickly done. The cairn is really big and almost like a shelter. The views are well worth it - not sure I would want to be up here with no views and on a really windy day. But with a dry and warm May day it is a lovely place to be.

I make my way slightly down along the snow covered edge and head towards Sail Chaorainn. The trails goes down for a while before gently leading up towards Sail Ghaorainn. Of the three munros, this is probably the nicest viewpoint and the one that feels most remote. There is ample big rocks to sit on and the May Bank Holiday weekend has attracted a number of walkers. So my stay here is brief and I move on to enjoy the solitude again.

I trace my way back (not that you could really loose it on the good quality trails up to here...) and take a right at a small cairn towards the big ridge that should take me all the way down towards the road again. The ridge while grassy is rather steep and you do need a bit of a head for heights if this is your preferred route. While this is only for a short section of 200 or 300m leading above a small loch below, some may choose a different route because of it.

After that the trail across the ridge turns into a bit of a gamble. From around 650m it tends to disappear in places or to turn boggy and from around 400m you really are lucky if you manage to stay on it. The hillside here is very steep and it does take a good level of care to make it down safely. Soon enough and as the hillside levels out a bit, the path is more distinct again and now takes me all the way down to a small river crossing (big boulders, nothing to worry about) and to the turnoff of the old military road. What used to be a road is now a trail with big rocks and lots of low heather. I decide to take the option to follow the busy road - so I turn to the right, reaching the road in some 100m. The walk along the road is not very spectacular and the cars coming a full speed can be scary at times. There is enough space to walk along the road on the grass.

I would still take the old military road next time around - it is safer and the actual stretch that is more challenging to walk on shouldn't be more than a kilometre.
Attachments

2022-05-01_755633271_Carn Ghluasaid & Sgurr nan Conbhairean & Sail Chaorainn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_20220501_170303.jpg
View back to the parking at Lundie
IMG_20220501_170414.jpg
Even when the hillside gets steep, there is good quality zigzag trails to help you up
IMG_20220501_170627.jpg
View back at Loch Cluanie on the way up to Carn Ghluasaid
IMG_20220501_170819.jpg
View towards Sgurr nan Coinbhairean
IMG_20220501_171013.jpg
Looking back at Carn Ghluasaid
IMG_20220501_171349.jpg
Looking back at Sgurr nan Coinbhairean
IMG_20220501_171443.jpg
View from Sail Chaorainn
IMG_20220501_171650.jpg
View at the ridge and the ridge to the left leading down towards the road
IMG_20220501_171725.jpg
Looking back at the ridge and Sgurr nan Conbhearian
IMG_20220501_171809.jpg
View at Loch Cluanie from the lower part of the ridge on the way down
IMG_20220501_171909.jpg
View at Loch Cluanie and the mountain range from the road
Milo12
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:13
Fionas:10   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:8   Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland