walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quinag - have you met its gorilla?

Quinag - have you met its gorilla?

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Wed May 04, 2022 3:29 pm

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 01/05/2022

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1102m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

May Bank Holiday weekend saw us up at our favourite corner, and May 1st brought superb weather, so an all-day-soaking-it-up on Quinag was in our sights. I've walked up Sail Garbh before in pelting rain and thick cloud, so I'd abandoned the rest that time. This time, we were both really looking forward to what promised to be a gorgeous day taking in all three summit tops (and the many nameless tops in between).

It started a bit claggy, but that meant it unfolded as the day went on, which I think actually made it better! The morning saw cloud rolling over from Glen Oykel way, and obscured the tops ahead of us as we walked up the delightful stoney slabby shoulder towards Spidean Coinich.

Image001 Will it wont it - our starting view

Image003 Up to Spidean Coinich first

Image004 Cloud rolling over Breabag

Canisp played peek-a-boo, and when we rose enough to look down into the corrie it looked all the more magnificent for the cloud hiding the top of Sail Garbh. It was also heartening to be able to see the descent route for the end of the day. :lol:

Image005 Loch Assynt and Canisp nearly hiding

Image006 Looking at our return route for later

We both like our wildlife, so the presence of ptarmigan poo and (let me get this right) prostrate :) juniper was another welcome sign.

Image007 Lots of creeping juniper

And soon we were walking up into the clag, confident it was going to clear, just not quite yet...

Image008 Loch Assynt starts to disappear

Image012 620m cairn

Image013 Strata and Canisp

We were early up, so for a time had the hills to ourselves. There wasn't a breath of wind and so far the racket of motorbikes on the NC500 hadn't started, so we soaked up the peace while we had the chance. (It's the one drawback of Quinag on a windless day, I'd say, that it's so close to blatting tourist hell.)

Image014 Peaceful puddley reflections

By now the cloud was coming and going. Moments of clarity gave us beatiful glimpses of a sapphire blue Loch Assynt, while ahead of us the top of Spidean Coinich remained in mystical obscurity...!

Image015 Loch Assynt reappears

Image016 Up to Spidean Coinich top

The summit of Spidean Coinich reached, with us and it still wrapped in cloud, we then had to work out how to get off. :shock:

Image022 Spidean Coinich summit cairn

We walked carefully in what we thought must be the right direction, but found we were just looking out over the vertical buttress. We tried a few other directions, with equally gingerly steps, and finally I yanked out map and compass. It gave me the direction, but without seeing the actual ridge, it was flipping disconcerting until I suddenly spotted the path round the back of a rocky outcrop. Euan took a bit of convincing, but then he saw it too and as we started down it, the ridge at last came into view as the cloud lifted. Yikes to small summits with massive drops all around!

Image024 Safe if scrambly descent to the ridge

About now, the cloud started to clear all over Quinag, and we were treated at last to its real beauty. So many twists and turns on this first two Corbetts section, I was really thrilled to be up on a much better day than my first ascent six years ago.

Image025 Twisty turny view from the ridge

Euan's not mad for exposed hill sections, and his look at the map with its names (Windy Ridge, Bucket Buttress, The Wind Pipe, The Waste Pipe, Rickety Ridge etc) the night before had him raising an eyebrow. So once down off the first airy scramble, I renamed Bucket Buttress :wink:

Image026 The real Bucket Futtress

Image027 Glad thats over - Sail Gorm still under cloud

Time to enjoy the views out west for a bit...

Image029 Stoer peninsula

Image030 Over to Coigach peninsula

... though Suilven had yet to show off its curves.

Image031 A bit more Suilven and Coigach

Soon we were down at Lochan Ruadh, and we stopped there to take in the (hazy) sights while a little group of walkers descended behind us.

Image032 Lochan Ruadh below 714m

Image033 North Skye on the horizon

Image034 Trotternish hills with South Harris behind

Image035 Skyes Quiraing would-be spectacular eastern side

Image036 Suilven and tip of our BMC ridge

Image037 People on pointy gorilla head

Oh yes, the GORILLA. Well, I didn't actually notice this til looking at photos that evening, but a later view of Spidean Coinich, with the sun where it was... well, I think it looks like a gorilla anyway :D , so here's a sneak preview:

Image075 Euan and the gorilla

[I have also shoved that photo in the Wildlife sightings forum (ridiculously, I know) , but under the title of the snow bunting we were later to find up here as well.]

We had a quick hello with the group once they were down and as they headed off for Sail Garbh, we decided to head to Sail Gorm first and sort of tag Sail Garbh on the end. But first we had to go up to the nameless 714 point, which I think is considered the north top of Spidean Coinich. (And I trust you to correct me if I'm wrong!)

Image040 Me on Spidean Coinich north top

Image042 Sail Garbh to right - Sail Gorm beyond - bealach out of sight

And down off it again. We were beginning to lose count of the ups and downs!

Image043 Looking back from descending north top

From here, the little lochan we'd stopped at looked tiny now.

Image044 Tiny Lochan Ruadh below -bigger Loch an Leothaid to west

Juniper and poo delivered. I'd seen a ptarmigan take flight as we were walking up, and here at last, it (or another one) had settled for a (re)pose.

Image045 Ptarmigan

We waited for a while to see if her mate would appear, but no cigar, and set off up towards Sail Gorm again, now with another little group of folk on their way below us.

Image046 Next steep climb up with tiny people below

From up here, we were at last far enough away from Spidean Coinich to really get a good view of its two first tops in all their weird majesty. (And of course, now, I can't help but see a gorilla :lol: )

Image047 Spidean Coinich and Lochan Bealach Cornaidh

Things were clearing Coigach-way too :D

Image048 Canisp - Cul Mor - Suilven

Image049 Suilven - Stac Pollaidh - BMC

It doesn't have to take you 10 hours to walk the circuit, but it was turning into such a gorgeous day we were obsessed with making the most of being up Assynt-high in the sun, never quite sure when you're going to get another day like this on Quinag. So this isn't so much a rest-stop as just a sheer happy-stop! And we were later to find there were three other folk with the same idea in their own blissful corners of these hills.

Image050 Above Bealach a Cornaidh

Basking over, (and now intermittently interrupted by motorbike racket) we could see destination Sail Gorm ahead, and off we toddled.

Image051 Lump and Sail Gorm top ahead

Image052 Kylesku Bridge from 687m cairn

Image054 People below between 687 and 650m

Much posing is done on those impressive jutting crags. Not my thing, but I was thoroughly enjoying how Suilven was doing its posing thing now.

Image055 Suilven in full hussy

On we went up the next up (650 on map), and then down t'other side with a bum shuffle manoeuvre.

Image056 Scramble down from 650m

And soon we were looking at Arkle and pals in all their glory, nearly a year after I'd had another gorgeous day up there.

Image057 Ben Stack - Arkle - Meall Horn over Loch Glendhu

Image058 Arkle zoom

And we still hadn't lost sight of Suilven and co.

Image059 Eilean an Sgudain in Loch Assynt

Gone were the grey clouds and it was full-on blue'n'fluffy from here.

Image060 A truly improved weather-day

Image061 Looking back at the latest scrambly bits

As we walked, we kept hearing a loud bird call that sounded like a buzzard mew but longer and drawn out. It was flying around, but out of sight, and we wondered if it could be peregrine, or maybe a wader. I'd seen greenshank here last time down at the foot of Quinag, but I really didn't know what we were looking for. Then the bird flew over us and I snapped a quick shot to ID it, and it was golden plover. I'm used to seeing them standing on a rock and calling, or more recently, we've seen them sitting silent or making short burst flights in groups, so this circling one was a new behaviour to us both. I wonder if it was distressed, e.g. had its eggs or chicks nicked by a corvid. We did later get a quick glimpse of (I think golden) eagle, so maybe that was disturbing it.

Image062 Calling golden plover in constant flight

Anyway, as we deliberated on what it might have been all about, we found ourselves at Sail Gorm's summit. A couple of folk were up here too and had heard the bird, but then seen a pipit... put two and two together... and, well, y'know.

Image063 Sail Gorm summit with Arkle behind

Another couple turned up, while we were lunching and shedding a layer now the day had warmed up, so we chatted, and the fella offered to take our photo. Euan's got so used to me not liking the selfie-thing, he's given up with us-two shots, but I don't mind the old concept of a someone-elsie, so here it is. (There was a red admiral up here too, so I did get distracted by that instead of looking at the camera, but you can't have everything! :wink: )

Image064 Us two at Sail Gorm summit

We parted company as they headed off, and the two of us drank in the views again.

Image065 Stoer and Oldany Island from Sail Gorm summit

Image066 Euan with Assynt view from Sail Gorm summit

Image067 Arkle - Ben Hope - Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill

And finally it was time to head off for our last Corbett of the day, Sail Garbh. Back we went, up and over, enjoying every moment of Quinag's twists, turns, ups, downs, shapes and quirks. The eagle made a brief appearance, then disappeared behind one of the tops,not to be seen again.

Image069 Back up and over to bealach 703m point

And now we could see the view we hadn't seen in the morning, to Glas Bheinn, Ben More Assynt and Conival.

Image070 Glas Bheinn - BMA and Conival

Image071 BMA and Conival

(That view brought memories of another cracking sun-dramatic day five years ago, timed to get off the ridge before the storm cloud and lightning reached it from its racing advance over Quinag.)

Image072 Tiny people coming off Sail Garbh

Image074 Gorillas if you keep the photo small
(Just saying...)

And again, as we walked up Sail Garbh, we were rewarded with new views out to the south...

Image076 Beinn Dearg to Fisherfields behind Canisp

Image077 ConaMheall to Beinn Dearg

Image078 Sgurr Mhor very faint behind Canisp

Image079 Seana Bhraigh with Am Faochagach behind

... til soon we were up at the trig.

Image081 Sail Garbh summit with Arkle

On the flat rock behind was a fella sunbathing, so we left him in peace.

Image084 Canisp - Cul Mor and Suilven from Sail Garbh summit

It's a fine sunbathing spot on the right day!

Image085 Out to the Minch from Sail Garbh summit

Image086 Sail Gorm from Sail Garbh summit

Image087 Happy Euan with BMA beyond

And down we went for the walk out beside the lochan.

Image089 Gorilla and Suilven

A white flash caught our eye and we found a snow bunting. I've seen them all year round on Cairngorm, and the North Norfolk coast, where it's cold for much of the year, but Quinag?

Image093 Snow bunting

As we descended, wondering whether our snow bunting had any buddies up here, strange haunting calls rose up to us from either the lochan or from over the rock beyond. Human, geese, crows, maybe divers? Two tiny white dots on the loch confirmed it was divers, though they were too far away for a decent picture with my camera. We were joined by another couple of walkers who'd seen us stop and asked us if we knew what the sound was. When we pointed at the divers, the fella produced the call from the excellent Collins Bird Guide app, and all four of us satisfied and delighted by their super-weird calls, on we all went. (They too had lounged around somewhere on the hill for a good hour and a half, also in no hurry and also enjoying the wildlife.)

Image097 Black throated divers heard more than seen

At the end of the well-laid path, a bit boot-sore now, we took a last look back as the clouds folded Quinag up for the evening again, and wended our way away.

Image104 Farewell deer

Image105 Cloud rolling back in

Image106 Last look back
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Re: Quinag - have you met its gorilla?

Postby Mal Grey » Wed May 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Enjoyed that! Have only done the main top, as it was a proper claggy day. Must go back!

As you describe, sometimes you just want to stay up there, gazing at the view.

Love the wildlife images and tales. Guess the gorilla is a mountain gorilla rather than lowland.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Thu May 05, 2022 7:01 am

Mal Grey wrote: Guess the gorilla is a mountain gorilla rather than lowland.

Without a doubt! :lol:
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 05, 2022 8:15 am

Ahh, what a fantastic day, and a great report! Just how I've always wanted to view Assynt (ie without the clag). Planning a foray this year - how do I order up clag-free weather? - do tell!

It took me a while to see the Gorilla, but once I did, that was all I could see!

Snow bunting: I've seen small groups of them on Beinn Eighe at this time of year....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Anne C » Thu May 05, 2022 8:36 am

What a great report Emma! :clap: :clap: Some cracking photos too. I've always loved Quinag, a stunner of a mountain and those views...!
I didn't see the gorilla in the first photo but definitely in the second :lol: What a day you had.

Funnily enough, I remember much of the same wildlife on a traipse across the summits years ago...a golden eagle flew just below Spidean Coinich, there was a male snow bunting on Sail Gharbh and passing close by the moorland lochan on the return, we heard the otherworldly cry of what I later learned was a diver.The wildlife adds so much to the memories of a walk, I always feel.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Thu May 05, 2022 9:33 am

Anne C wrote: Funnily enough, I remember much of the same wildlife on a traipse across the summits years ago...a golden eagle flew just below Spidean Coinich, there was a male snow bunting on Sail Gharbh and passing close by the moorland lochan on the return, we heard the otherworldly cry of what I later learned was a diver.The wildlife adds so much to the memories of a walk, I always feel.

That is very much snap! I know you get great pleasure from the wildlife too, Anne... :D

... as do you and Mal, Alteknacker.

Alteknacker wrote: Planning a foray this year - how do I order up clag-free weather? - do tell!

Wish I knew! The day before was claggy, so we stayed low and east and were rewarded with an osprey snatching up a flounder on Loch Fleet.

Image037 Osprey turning its flounder
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sat May 07, 2022 3:47 pm

Confess I'd not spotted the gorilla when I was there... but when I looked back at my photos there he is, in exactly the same pose as in yours! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu May 12, 2022 5:00 pm

dogplodder wrote:Confess I'd not spotted the gorilla when I was there... but when I looked back at my photos there he is, in exactly the same pose as in yours! :lol:

What wonderful photos, both scenery and wildlife. Great to see the snow bunting.

The "2 gorillas" one made me laugh out loud. Like dogplodder, I looked back at my old photos https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58407. Of course I didn't notice them at the time - but they are hiding in there too, albeit snow-camouflaged!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland