walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion & the suicide Owl! My 1st Munro is in the bag!

Schiehallion & the suicide Owl! My 1st Munro is in the bag!

Postby erin_niamh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Date walked: 20/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1083m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The time had come and I was as excited as a kid on christmas day! After a couple of call offs for different reasons, today would be the day I would climb my first munro.

My dad wanted to do a bit of fishing at his usual spot at Kenmore, Loch Tay, so it was agreed that myself and Donnie...and Teo of course! would climb 'Schiehallion' and leave my dad in peace (probably means he slept most of the time we were away lol) to do a bit of fishing.

With no charge left in my phone and therefore nothing to wake me up :lol: I slept longer than planned, which meant a later start (given the heat, this turned out to be a good thing). Shorts, t-shirt and flip flops on, bag packed and I was on my way just after 1pm.

A few stop offs at several fishing shops to try and buy some maggots and we were on the motorway, Kenmore bound around 3pm.

Not yet reached Callender and the wildlife begins, first a buzzard then pheasant after pheasant as well as a few roe deer grazing in the passing fields. After a nice drive via Falls of Falloch, we arrive at Kenmore and drop my dad off at his favourite wee spot before the short drive to Braes of Foss Car Park to begin our walk.

Swap my flip flops for my boots and just after 5.30pm we begin our walk. Weather is perfect, warm, dry and no wind on the ground.

We made good progress and climbed the first part of the walk, which is a good but steep path in 1 hour. Stopping only briefly for a rest and to take in the beautiful scenery all arounds us. The wildlife was really good from this point also, we saw red deer, red grouse and ptarmigan. The second part of the walk is a pathless scree, steep at times but once I was confident Teo would be ok, I really enjoyed it. The summit looked far in the distance, but it didnt take long (45 mins) and we had reached our destination. The views were stunning but im sure they would have been even better if we had reached the summit an hour or 2 earlier, as the mist was starting to come down.

A short break for a rest, some photos and a cup of Tea and we set off for the descent, making sure we would reach the clear path before dark. The descent took just as long as the ascent, 1 hour 45 mins. but we did stop several times for photos, to take in the views and a look at the wild life. We saw a ring ouzel, a mountain hare and more red grouse and ptarmigans.

The short drive back to Kenmore to collect my dad and his 3 rainbow trout :D and homeward bound we went.

Not long after leaving Kenmore and i'm faced with 2 big eyes staring straight at me on the road, turns out to be a tawny owl on a suicide mission :shock: , making no effort what so ever to get out the way. Luckily enough it was on the other side of the road and lives to fight another day! Not long after 1am and i'm back in the house with my first munro safely in the bag!

12 hours. 1 munro. 1 buzzard, several pheasant, many grouse, lots of ptarmigans, 2 red deer, 1 mountain hare, 1 ring ouzel, 3 rainbow trout and a suicide tawny owl. Not a bad day out in my book. Where next???
Attachments
Who's bed is this i wonder.JPG
the descent.JPG
Teo.JPG
steps on the ascent.JPG
Schiehallion from the start.JPG
Neil & Teo on the scree with the summit in the background.JPG
Looking towards Loch Rannoch (i think).JPG
Looking towards Ben Lawers from the summit.JPG
Looking towards Ben Lawers.JPG
Looking at the summit.JPG
Donnie and Teo at the start.JPG
Donnie & Teo making their way back down the scree.JPG
can you spot the ptarmigan lol.JPG
adding my stone to the cairn.JPG
A knackered Neil with Teo at the summit.JPG
Last edited by erin_niamh on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Schiehallion & the suicide Owl! My 1st Munro is in the bag!

Postby jools » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:28 pm

looks like a good 1st munro, glad to see further down your report you changed flipflops for boots. :lol:
jools
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:71
Fionas:21   Donalds:3

Postby monty » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Excellent first report. Looks like the weather was kind to you. Nice photos. Now you have bagged one there will be no stopping you :lol: apart from the price of petrol. :lol: 8)
monty

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Congratulations on bagging your first, got to say I think Teo is registering a 9.7 on the cute puppy scale :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Great first report - well done on your first munro :D .. .............and some interesting patterned shorts there :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Great choice for your first Munro, did this last summer, great fun clambering over the boulders :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby skuk007 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Congratulations on your first Munro, hope the excited feeling continues on the next 282.
Did you plan to start that late in the day, I'm usually thinking of a snooze around then. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland