walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Calkin Rig - go now, more forestry planned

Calkin Rig - go now, more forestry planned

Postby Jaywizz » Fri May 06, 2022 7:02 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Calkin Rig

Date walked: 01/05/2022

Distance: 8.7 km

Ascent: 366m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following other reports, I parked at the end of the track, plenty of space. The walk up the track was straightforward - the cattle were the most peaceful I have ever encountered and hardly batted an eyelid as I passed, never mind raising their heads. (I won’t take this as true of all cattle ……)
The walk up the fence line was as expected, bit damp (there had been a smirr when I arrived but that soon lifted). Nearing the summit area, the gate was down, and an ATV (or similar) track was just about visible across the wetter tussocks ground to the summit stakes.
20220501_131922.jpg
I didn’t linger at the summit, no view and just a hint of midges on the sheltered ground between the trees.

Retracing my steps to the gate, I then walked over Shaw Hill before dropping down to the ‘settlement’ as marked on the map. This is well worth the short detour - much larger and more complex than I had anticipated.
20220501_142459.jpg
Part of the circular ditch and rampart. The extensive area also includes cultivation terraces and some later (Medieval?) earthworks.

The site is of national importance (ancient monuments website) - I just hope this saves the area from the extensive forestation planned by Buccleugh Estate. More wind turbines also expected.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Calkin Rig - go now, more forestry planned

Postby Skyelines » Sat May 07, 2022 12:40 am

Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Jaywizz » Sun May 08, 2022 11:29 am

Not sure, Skyelines. I got the impression (from the local gentleman who stopped to chat) that it would affect the south side of the Boykin Burn, maybe slopes of Calkin Rig and Shaw Hill. He definitely said that access along the track would be restricted (closed?) once planting started.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Postby Skyelines » Sun May 08, 2022 1:07 pm

Jaywizz wrote:Not sure, Skyelines. I got the impression (from the local gentleman who stopped to chat) that it would affect the south side of the Boykin Burn, maybe slopes of Calkin Rig and Shaw Hill. He definitely said that access along the track would be restricted (closed?) once planting started.

That was the only bit of bareland planting that I could find on the register in the area.

The areas of activity south of the Boyken Burn (scroll the map ) are all in existing woodland so not affecting the Settlement.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland