walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Marsco - bit of a drag on the way up, but the views!

Marsco - bit of a drag on the way up, but the views!

Postby Milo12 » Sat May 07, 2022 10:37 pm

Route description: Marsco from Sligachan

Fionas included on this walk: Marsco

Date walked: 07/05/2022

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 14.9 km

Ascent: 720m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Perfectly fine May day with blue sky and sunshine - this was calling for something with good views. I had read about Marsco a few times and since it was close by, I thought I give it a go.

Sligachan was as usually very busy. I just about managed to find a parking by the Mountain Rescue Centre and headed off. I was the only one in hiking gear and within no time the only person who seemed to be going for a walk. I can't deny I was grateful for it. The views at the surrounding mountains were fantastic and Marsco towered impressively ahead - hard to miss the very steep slopes - I was in for some proper exercise, that was for sure.

The trail along the river is in excellent quality. Rocky in places, but perfect to make quick progress. There were lots of little streams to cross and I was glad I had given my boots a good treatment ahead of the walk. I reached the turning point in no time. The trail leading towards Marsco starts rather faint and boggy - it is a Graham after all and with all the munros around expectedly not the most frequented hill in the area.

The trail became a bit more distinct after a while, but the boggyness remained. In places it gets rather deep and the trail requires a lot of attention. It is washed out or worn out frequently, sometimes turning into a little river, sometimes crossing them.

It leads up gently towards a saddle from where the trail leads up towards the top of Marsco. I decided to leave the trail and follow a grassy stretch to the left of a stream that was coming down from the long ridge of Marsco and, while steep, should take me to the top of the ridge. I turned slightly towards the right and started the climb. It quickly got steep and then very steep and I found myself taking breaks almost every 10 steps in places. You may be laughing, but I am quite a fit walker and this was definitely not what I expected. Luckily the views over towards Broadfoard, Applecross and Skye Bridge became more and more impressive - what a perfect excuse for the breaks!

I finally reached the ridge and turned right towards the Sligachan end of the ridge. The weather was clear and the views perfect. there is a little cairn on the wide grassy ridge - I had reached the lower top of the ridge. The views over to Sgurr nan Gillean are breathtaking and farther in the distance I can see Loch na Creitheagh and Elgol.

I can also see the climb up to the top of Marsco ahead of me. Of course it comes with another steep incline, but it is grassy and solid to walk on. what starts off as a broad grassy top quicly turns into a narrow ridge - nothing that's not doable, but you do need a bit of a head for heights here. Within no time I reach the top. I can see a photographer in the distance - apart from two French hikers I overtook on the way up the only other person I see all day. Time for a quick break and time to enjoy the views. They really area something, especially with the Bhla Bheinn range now being right in front of me.

From the top, I can now pick up the path that is leading slightly downhill for a bit before turning off the ridge to the left. I decide to quickly check out the end of the ridge that is leading towards Bhla Beinn. It is only a short extension, but the views are well worth it.

Returning to the turnoff of the trail, I start the descend. While the first few hundred metres are steep but easy enough to do, the trail quickly turns extremely boggy and disappears completlely. I roughly follow the old fence posts watching my steps carefully so as not to slip on the grass or the wet and mossy rocks.

Upon reaching the saddle it gets a bit easier, but the worn out and boggy trail does require lots of attention. I am glad once I reach the good quality trail at the bottom of the trail again. It is past mid afternoon and I am overtaking lots of long-distance walkers with big backpacks on the way back to Sligachan. There are little purple orchids along the way - despite it being early May these are the only spots of colour in what is still a very brown surrounding.
Attachments

2022-05-07_761532602_Marsco.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_20220507_180056.jpg
Off towards Marsco - hard to miss it as it towers in the distance
IMG_20220507_180310.jpg
Reached the saddle...
IMG_20220507_180927.jpg
The broad grassy end of the ridge towards Sligachan
IMG_20220507_180751.jpg
View towards Sgurr nan Gillean
IMG_20220507_180950.jpg
Another short climb towards the top of Marsco
IMG_20220507_181124.jpg
The ridge gets quite narrow in places
IMG_20220507_181232.jpg
View towards Skye Bridge and Torridon in the distance
IMG_20220507_181510.jpg
The little extended ridge seems to be leading directly to Bhla Bheinn
IMG_20220507_181624.jpg
View towards Elgol
IMG_20220507_181720.jpg
Probably one of the view better sections on the way back to Sligachan
IMG_20220507_181858.jpg
The only spots of colour - and it is early May already!
IMG_20220507_181940.jpg
Looking back at Marsco
IMG_20220507_182001.jpg
Almost back in Sligachan
Milo12
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:13
Fionas:10   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:8   Islands:3

Re: Marsco - bit of a drag on the way up, but the views!

Postby Anne C » Sun May 08, 2022 8:42 am

What terrific photos - love the one of Sgurr nan Gillean with its slopes looking like the hide of a rhinoceros. Stunning. Only ever climbed Marsco from the Red Cuillin side. Fantastic mountain but we had a bit of clag and didn't get the clear views you had. :clap:
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby Yorjick » Sun May 08, 2022 11:07 am

Going directly up the NW ridge is very steep but a delight! It is one of the finest Grahams.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Milo12 » Sun May 08, 2022 8:53 pm

Anne C wrote:What terrific photos - love the one of Sgurr nan Gillean with its slopes looking like the hide of a rhinoceros. Stunning. Only ever climbed Marsco from the Red Cuillin side. Fantastic mountain but we had a bit of clag and didn't get the clear views you had. :clap:

Sorry to hear you did not manage to get the view when you were up. I do have to say that I love the Grahams - they often come with the most stunning views. Marsco certainly is a fine example of that.
Milo12
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:13
Fionas:10   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:8   Islands:3

Postby Verylatestarter » Sun May 08, 2022 9:18 pm

Great report and lovely photos. For anyone wanting a shorter walk in, there is a route up from near the waterfall at the end of Loch Ainort. We combined it with Garb Bheinn and could have included Belig without much greater effort. It has the added interest of including a Red Cullin and a black gabro peak. Both peaks were superb viewpoints.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland