walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A landmark achieved - Lochnagar

A landmark achieved - Lochnagar

by ChrisW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 20/04/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 1083m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A landmark achieved - Lochnagar

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Briliant stuff Chris, well done on your landmark :thumbup: Hope the leg is well and truly healed now
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 pm

trailer wrote:Super shots. Well done!

Thanks trailer - the pics hardly do justice to the place, its stunning.

by kinley on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Cracking pics of a cracking hill

Was looking nice from the NW at the weekend

Cheers

Cheers kinley, really great hill with seemingly endless horizons all around - loved it :D

by Merry-walker on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:26 pm

That was a superb report Chris, with terrific pictures especially at the edge of the corrie (that rock looked fab...!) Glad you got up there, how's the legs today?

Thanks MW - so many people came up there walked past the corrie edge (only 300 yards away) and never looked over :wtf: - the legs are ready for another big 'un, I think I'm back :D says me touching wood and squeezing a rabbits foot :lol:

by Graeme Dewar on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Brilliant pics Chris and well done on the landmark. A personal landmark is a personal landmark, as they say. Celebrate it loudly!

Thanks Graeme - I felt like shouting from the top of the trig point, I didn't realise that I had lost hope until I reached that summit and got it back :D

by morag1 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Congratulations Chris - I know how much that meant to you

So pleased that your leg has now healed

"England thy beauties are tame and domestic
To one who has travelled the mountains afar.
Oh for the crags that are wild and majestic,
the deep haunting beauty of dark Lochnagar"

Thanks Morag - I turned to kipling in the final stages...

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on

believe me at the top of the ladder my sinew was long gone :lol:

by Magoo82 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Cracking photos Chris - looks like you got the weather for good views aswell. I'm hoping to do Lochnagar in May so those pics should ensure i don't get lost!

Cheers magoo82 - its a fantastic walk with stunning views, but that ladder will leave you blowing like a steam train :lol:

by LeithySuburbs on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Nice Chris . Brings back some great memories of this hill. Like Stretch, I did the 5 but will be back soon to do this route . Also love the vertical pano shots - think I'll be giving them a go this weekend

Thanks Leithy, first time I've tried the vertical pano but it won't be the last, seems an excellent technique for getting the scene as viewed.... I'll be watching out for your report.... :D

by rockhopper on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Very enjoyable Chris and some fantastic photos particularly like the vertical panoramas

Well done on achieving your landmark - now, what's next...?

Thanks rockhopper - I really don't know what's next as I didn't really expect to get up Lochnagar so soon, just fitness for now I think...a few months of good walks and the MTB out again :D

by lomondwalkers on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Briliant stuff Chris, well done on your landmark Hope the leg is well and truly healed now

Thanks lomondwalkers - I've at least got to the stage where I feel I can rely on my own legs to carry me as far as I want to go rather than as far as they want to go, all I need now is fitness :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Left Behind » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Looking good, Chris! I'm planning the Lochnagar 5 for this friday, I hope the weather stays as good. :)
Left Behind
Hill Bagger

Postby yokehead » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 pm

An absolute cracker Chris, real stunning. And yeah the vertical pano is real fine. 8) 8)

Congrats as well in getting the day done as you'd wanted. :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Well done on this one Chris,could really feel your sense of acheviement in your report,hope the leg still feels good
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby houdi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Brilliant stuff Chris and absolutely cracking photos. I've done 55 Munros so far and all of them in the West. Lochnagar is the only one I fancy doing in the East and I'm hoping to get there this month when I'm in Scotland. Pleased the leg held out. I wish I could say the same for my knees!
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby pruney84 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Well done Chris some absolutely amazing photo's and a great report on what looked a superb day, just makes me want to get back in the hills sooner rather than later!!!! :thumbup:
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Great pics Chris !! and congrats on your recovery from injury. I know how much of a PITA it can be when you have one and it starts to feel like its never going to go away.

Eddie

Edit: I just noticed you have a 5D too, I know this aint a photography forum but what lens were you using? (And are you a member on POTN?)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby chrisgrieve » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Well done on your landmark.
I dont really do hill walking, more of a flat land walker and mainly just for photography, but the views from up Lochngagar look fantastic so maybe one day i will head up it.

Some great pictures you got from up there too, especially the vertical pano's.
chrisgrieve
Ambler

Munros:18   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alan S » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Excellent report and pics Chris 8) well done
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby kev_russ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Fantastic walk report Chris and superb pictures. Need to put Lochnagar in my diary for the future. Maybe even turn it into an expedition. Cheers :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:05 am

Left Behind wrote:Looking good, Chris! I'm planning the Lochnagar 5 for this friday, I hope the weather stays as good. :)

Thanks LB - MWIS say 80% chance of cloud free munros for friday, will cross my fingers for you. I've done broad cairn and lochnagar now but have to do 'em one at once cos we don't have many munros out here in the east :lol:

by yokehead on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 pm

An absolute cracker Chris, real stunning. And yeah the vertical pano is real fine.

Congrats as well in getting the day done as you'd wanted.

Cheers yokehead - onward and upward from here I reckon :D

by gammy leg walker on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Well done on this one Chris,could really feel your sense of acheviement in your report,hope the leg still feels good

Thanks Gammy, the leg is still fine and looking back at my report makes me smile even wider...what a great day :D

by houdi on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Brilliant stuff Chris and absolutely cracking photos. I've done 55 Munros so far and all of them in the West. Lochnagar is the only one I fancy doing in the East and I'm hoping to get there this month when I'm in Scotland. Pleased the leg held out. I wish I could say the same for my knees!

Thanks houdi, Lochnagar is worth the journey - we've got so few munros out here I'm having to do 'em one at a time...I envy you guys in the west for the choices you have.....don't envy your weather so much though :D

by pruney84 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Well done Chris some absolutely amazing photo's and a great report on what looked a superb day, just makes me want to get back in the hills sooner rather than later!!!!

Cheers pruney84 - it was a fantastic day don't wait....get out there now :D

by xpfloyd on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Great pics Chris !! and congrats on your recovery from injury. I know how much of a PITA it can be when you have one and it starts to feel like its never going to go away.

Eddie

Edit: I just noticed you have a 5D too, I know this aint a photography forum but what lens were you using? (And are you a member on POTN?)

Thanks Eddie, I use a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, I used to take my Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM but missed all the wildlife so switched to this (I'm not carrying two!!) - hence all the pano efforts to try and convey the scene a bit better :roll:

I'm not a member of POTN but have lurked around it a few times :D

by chrisgrieve on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Well done on your landmark.
I dont really do hill walking, more of a flat land walker and mainly just for photography, but the views from up Lochngagar look fantastic so maybe one day i will head up it.

Some great pictures you got from up there too, especially the vertical pano's.

Thanks Chris, first effort at the vertical pano - but it won't be my last :wink: get yourself up a few big 'uns they're a photographers dream :D
y alan s on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Excellent report and pics Chris well done

Thanks Alan :D

by kev_russ on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Fantastic walk report Chris and superb pictures. Need to put Lochnagar in my diary for the future. Maybe even turn it into an expedition. Cheers

Cheers kev_russ - it really is worth the visit, if you fancy an expedition do the loch muick circuit of 5 munros (I'm doing 'em one at a time so I can enjoy 'em) :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby xpfloyd » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:03 am

Last photo post I promise :) I've got the 17-40 just now but I'll be picking up the 24-105 before my trip to Hawaii in august. Assuming you took your pano shots handheld what software did you stitch them with ? Ptgui?

Ok back to the hill walking :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby happydaysinthehills » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 am

Magic report Chris with some stunning photo's, really takes me back. Cant wait to get back up there now! Very well done.
happydaysinthehills

Munros:77   

Postby PeteR » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 am

Well done Chris. As always, excellent photos along with an excellent report :D The view of the lochan looking down from the crags was excellent, but so were all the others 8) And as so many have already said, the personal achievement is something to be celebrated - we've all of us been there in some way be it with walking the hills or other aspects of our lives, so well done on that one too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland