walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A landmark achieved - Lochnagar

A landmark achieved - Lochnagar

by ChrisW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 20/04/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 1083m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A landmark achieved - Lochnagar

Postby davetherave » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 am

Glad you are back to full health Chris. As you say its only your fitness you need to worry about. That will take care of its self as long as you are hitting the hills.

What an amazing set of pics. It's just a shame I'm viewing them on my Android phone.

Ps.. did the cash you save on the parking go towards your tyre fund !! :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby jwramsay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am

Great trip report and absolutely brilliant photos, the panoramas are magnificent!

I plan to go up there next Saturday and am hoping to get the five - you've gotta aim high!

I was wondering how much water is obtainable from burns once you are up there?
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Great stuff!!! Lochnagar is a gem of a hill. Looks like you were alone on the mountain :D I was there on Sunday and it was quite busy. Had to wait by the trig point until all the other climbers were gone to take some decent photos.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby baggervance » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Vertical panoramas are superb plus the nice little pose of yourself in front of the falls

Excellent report

cheers
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:34 pm

xpfloyd wrote:Last photo post I promise :) I've got the 17-40 just now but I'll be picking up the 24-105 before my trip to Hawaii in august. Assuming you took your pano shots handheld what software did you stitch them with ? Ptgui?

Ok back to the hill walking :)

No worries xpfloyd - Yeah they are all handheld and I use Photoshop to stitch em up (cos I'm old fashioned) :lol:

by happydaysinthehills on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 am

Magic report Chris with some stunning photo's, really takes me back. Cant wait to get back up there now! Very well done.

Thanks happydays, its a great place to go, probably better to do the 5 whilst you're up there :D

by PeteR on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 am

Well done Chris. As always, excellent photos along with an excellent report The view of the lochan looking down from the crags was excellent, but so were all the others And as so many have already said, the personal achievement is something to be celebrated - we've all of us been there in some way be it with walking the hills or other aspects of our lives, so well done on that one too

Thanks PeteR, I was surprised by the number of people who came up and didn't even bother looking over the edge or down to the lochan, I think they missed out in their hurry to tick a hill :D

by davetherave on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 am

Glad you are back to full health Chris. As you say its only your fitness you need to worry about. That will take care of its self as long as you are hitting the hills.

What an amazing set of pics. It's just a shame I'm viewing them on my Android phone.

Ps.. did the cash you save on the parking go towards your tyre fund !!

Thanks Dave - those pics must have looked small on the phone, I struggle to see 'em on here. Oh yeah thanks for reminding me about that damn tyre...... now instead of being £3 up I'm only £147 down :lol: :lol:

by jwramsay on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am

Great trip report and absolutely brilliant photos, the panoramas are magnificent!

I plan to go up there next Saturday and am hoping to get the five - you've gotta aim high!

I was wondering how much water is obtainable from burns once you are up there?

Thanks JW - good luck with the 5, I reckon you'll do it :D There is a good burn close to the lochnagar descent and definitely on the descent of broad cairn but I've not walked across between the 2, there are waterfalls at the end of the glen so they are being fed from somewhere up there....sorry I can't be of much help on that mate but good luck with the 5 :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PauloUK77 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Brilliant pics Chris, what a day and what an area, it looked fantastic. :D
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:46 pm

PauloUK77 wrote:Brilliant pics Chris, what a day and what an area, it looked fantastic. :D

Thanks Paul - I loved it, when I get the fitness up a bit I might just go for the 5....then again it could be under 6 feet of snow by then :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Del246 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Quality report.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Del246 wrote:Quality report.

cheers del :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby macq23 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:56 am

Cracking vertical panoramas!! :D
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:33 pm

macq23 wrote:Cracking vertical panoramas!! :D

Thanks maq23 - reckon you'll be seeing more of those in the future :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Alastair S » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Super report there Chris, & well done on getting up there. That leg must be strengthening up nicely by now.

Those vertical panoramas are a bit hit & I can see why. They really give you a sense of just how high those cliffs are. Going to have give then a try myself now. Also really like the two near the end - the boat house pano & the one with the great footbridge lead-in.

Lochnagar has to be my favourite Munro - certainly the only one I've done three times. Being my "local" I think its not unreasonable to get up there at least once a year. Have yet to do it in the height of summer so I guess that's my next goal.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Well done Chris. :clap: We really enjoyed reading your report and getting our 'fix' of the Scottish mountains with your fabulous photos, as it will be a few more months before we get back up to the Motherland.
Like everyone else we thought the vertical pano was brilliant. :D
Wait & see - you will have started a trend.
Enjoy your success :thumbup:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Alastair S wrote:Super report there Chris, & well done on getting up there. That leg must be strengthening up nicely by now.

Those vertical panoramas are a bit hit & I can see why. They really give you a sense of just how high those cliffs are. Going to have give then a try myself now. Also really like the two near the end - the boat house pano & the one with the great footbridge lead-in.

Lochnagar has to be my favourite Munro - certainly the only one I've done three times. Being my "local" I think its not unreasonable to get up there at least once a year. Have yet to do it in the height of summer so I guess that's my next goal.

Thanks Alastair, the leg is as good as its going to get I reckon - did the Deeside way from Banchory to Duthrie Park and back Thursday (first MTB outing for 2 years) with no ill effects but I have a long way to go on the fitness side of things :shock: seems vertical panoramas will be a common sight here from now on :lol:

by jimandandrea on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Well done Chris. We really enjoyed reading your report and getting our 'fix' of the Scottish mountains with your fabulous photos, as it will be a few more months before we get back up to the Motherland.
Like everyone else we thought the vertical pano was brilliant.
Wait & see - you will have started a trend.
Enjoy your success

Thanks jimandandrea - glad the photos are helping close the distance from home - I think you are right about starting a trend with the verticals....Paul will be telling me off :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Superb Chris, and wonderful photos. I thought I did well with the camera when back up Lochnagar last summer, but you have caught some real magic there. Used to spend many days up Glen Muick and Lochnagar through out my teenage years, in fact had a fancy wee olympis camera of the time just freeze on me at the top of the Black Spout one very cold Feb morning. They have done some some good work up there recent years....
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland