walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hare Black and Bell's

Hare Black and Bell's

Postby past my sell by date » Sat May 14, 2022 2:46 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Hill (Pentlands)

Date walked: 01/05/2022

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 15.9 km

Ascent: 684m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done the North and Southern sections of the (near) Pentlands, I was left with Hare Hill, Black Hill and Bell's Hill to do.
I started again from Silverburn, but level with the quarry I headed L on a track which joins the "Red Road" near the bottom of Eight Mile burn

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

8990.JPG
The track heading L below Black Hill South is not shown on the map
0668.JPG
Looking W along the track towards Quarrel Burn reservoir
0671.JPG
Junction with the Red Road
0674.JPG
The row of mature beeches beside the track were not yet in leaf
0677.JPG

0680.JPG
two views across this beautiful rural valley :)
0683.JPG
The farm at Eastside nestles below West Kip
0684.JPG
At the high point the Red Road heads West of North
0686.JPG
Looking directly across to my first objective Hare Hill, there is an obvious track leading to the summit: I headed straight for it crossing the footpath that leads down past the waterfalls: this area at the head of the Logan burn is drained by a fan shaped series of ditches, and found the going quite dry
0689.JPG

0687.JPG
Views of the Pentland Way chain of hills from near the low point

Views from Hare Hill summit
0697.JPG
Summit cairn with Black Hill behind
0700.JPG
There is an old quarry at the top
0696.JPG
The Kips
0694.JPG
Scald Law, Carnethy and Turnhouse hills
0690.JPG
East Cairn hill

I walked easily down grassy slopes with a final steep descent into Green Cleugh, crossed the Cleugh, climbed the track up the other side towards Harlaw - and branched off R just before the stile . The track climbed steeply for about 25m and then levelled off beside a fence heading roughly E . I came to an open gate and headed L up a narrow footpath through the heather which climbed gradually NE to join the big landrover track that climbs this hill. A very painless ascent :D
0703.JPG
A close up view of Black Hill from the slopes down Hare Hill: my route can be seen L of centre
0707.JPG
Hare Hill from the lower slopes of Black Hill with continuation of Green Cleugh on its R
0709.JPG
Looking back West through the gate
0712.JPG
Looking back down the heather path
I stopped briefly at the insignificant flat summit - not even worth taking a photo - and continued down the big track that led on towards Bell's Hill. After a hundred metres or so I took a couple of pics
0717.JPG
A big track continued NE towards Bell's Hill
0716.JPG
A wider view: Castlelaw and the N Pentlands behind: Glencorse reservoir on the R
The track descended into Den Cleugh (I seem to be there every weekend :lol: ) and I climbed the familiar track to Bell's Hill
0721.JPG

0722.JPG
The grassy track up Bell's Hill
0720.JPG
Carnethy Hill, Scaldlaw and the Kips from the flat summit of Bell's Hill
0729.JPG
Looking back to Black Hill
_1090834.JPG
Detail showing the track down Black Hill
0724.JPG
Castlelaw and the North Pentlands
_1090629.JPG
Harbour Hill: I found that there was a direct track to the head of Maiden Cleugh:
_1090824.JPG
Looking down Maiden Cleugh to Glencorse
I took the "bypass" track - it's fine in the dry - and followed the familiar route to the "corner of Bonaly woods
_1090836.JPG
The path heads north beside the woods surrounding Bonaly Reservoir
0732.JPG
Approaching Bonaly woods: It's an easy descent from here
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland