walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking in the footsteps of Kids!

Walking in the footsteps of Kids!

Postby Hills4dogs » Sat May 14, 2022 9:11 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creag Loch nan Dearcag

Date walked: 14/05/2022

Time taken: 1.56 hours

Distance: 7.47 km

Ascent: 421m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been interested in this hill for a while. But the reports coming from Luichart power station direction all seemed to involve climbing a deer fence, which is not feasible for the dog! But this week I read an excellent report from
Walking with kids coming from Strathcanon and although it also involved climbing a deer fence, it was at a gate that looked like there was room for Dill to squeeze under. So we decided to go for it, especially as I LOVE strathconon. We pretty much followed WWKs route except at the summit when we did a bit of a loop so that Dill could get a swim in Loch a' Bhealaich.

activity_8821418986.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked off the road in the same place as WWK and then set off on the good forest track walking gently uphill behind the village of Dalnacroich. It is quite obvious where to leave the main forest track as it is almost a wee crossroads where the old forest track/ATV track crosses just after the sharp right bend. Then it is up quite a steep grassy track through the forest until you come out on the open hill close to the deer fence. Once over the fence at the gate the ATV track still goes on but is now less distinct.

20220514_115702.jpg
Our goal for the day, view from the deer fence

We followed the ATV track till almost past the peak and then went NW up the gentle slopes up to the top.

20220514_122706.jpg
Dill at the top, with the Strathconon corbetts in the background

At the top the views were a bit hazy and the Strathfarrar munros were not visible. It was also a bit blowy on the top so we went slightly north and dropped behind some rocks for lunch

20220514_123029.jpg
The view from our lunch spot looking north with Sgùrr Marcasaidh just off to the right

After lunch we carried on going NW from the summit so that we could explore Loch a' Bhealaich

20220514_130145.jpg
Dill having a wee swim to try and drown the ticks!

We then walked south back to the deer fence, this bit was definitely a bit squelchy underfoot! Once at the fence the gate opened enough to allow Dill to squeeze through and then we followed the ATV track back down to the main forest track. Once on the main track we turned left for a few minutes to see if Dill could get another dip where the river went under the track but sadly no joy. So we just walked back down the track to the car.

A good morning out and certainly made me want to try the Strathconon corbetts :D :D
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:5

Re: Walking in the footsteps of Kids!

Postby WalkingWithKids » Mon May 16, 2022 9:31 pm

I like the title :) . I am glad Dill did it :thumbup:
WalkingWithKids
Hill Bagger

Munros:19   Corbetts:33
Fionas:43   
Sub 2000:102   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland