walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy - First solo Munro

Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy - First solo Munro

Postby Del246 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:43 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 20/04/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy – First solo Munro

I set off this morning arriving at Inveruglas at the back of 10. I parked in the Tourist Information/cafe car park, which is free on The banks of Loch Lomond.

DSC01078.JPG
Setting off from the car park

I then set off towards Ben Vorlich at 1030. I walked along the footpath next to the A82 following the sign for Loch Sloy and hills. I passed the Sloy power station.

DSC01080.JPG
Sloy Power Station

Soon I came to the access road leading up to Loch Sloy and passed through the locked gate. I followed this pathway. As this was my first solo Munro I had tried to do my homework so that I did not require the services of a rescue helicopter! I continued along this path and Ben Vane came into view. I thought it looked quite impressive.

DSC01083.JPG
Ben Vane

A couple of things I learned from books and the internet is that there are several routes up and down Ben Vorlich ! I decided to go for the one where you head towards the dam for Loch Sloy, however on reading the reports it seemed the initial path towards Ben Vorlich is hard to find. I soon found out. I continued towards the dam searching for the pathway on the right but missed it. I was beginning to wonder if going solo was such a good idea.

DSC01086.JPG
Loch Sloy dam coming into view

A couple of hundred yards short of the dam I just picked a spot and started heading up. The hill here was very steep and with the sun/heat was hard going.

DSC01088.JPG
Steep start !!

Knowing that I missed the path I headed up diagonally to the right searching for the pathway. After about 40 minutes heading up I eventually found it.
Once on the path I just followed it upwards. I then got some nice vies of the dam and Loch Sloy. With the heat the upwards hike was draining although I was well prepared with my camel back and extra water bottles ( I finished them all !! ).

DSC01096.JPG
Loch Sloy dam

After what seemed an age the steep path levelled off and the last section towards the summit and trig was quite easy going.

DSC01101.JPG
Loch Sloy

I eventually reached the trig.

DSC01105.JPG
Trig

After a well deserved rest at the top my views were obscured due to the haze.Although I could make out the Arrochar Alps.

DSC01106.JPG
Arrochar Alps through the haze

I then made my way back down the steep pathway.

On this trip I met several other walkers. On speaking to them everyone of us seemed to of used different routes!! Getting back to my car I realised a couple of things. Firstly I was pleased with myself that I proved I could do a Munro on my own and secondly I think I prefer walking in the cold/snow. That heat was torture!!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy - First solo Munro

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Great report Del, I've seen a few on this beast where people have missed the path and taken the route you did as a result so you are far from alone, congrats on making it. Pity about the haze but you still got some excellent shots, and you got up and down without the use of a rescue helicopter :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Well done on your first solo :clap: It's a great feeling and once you have the confidence there'll be no stopping you.

Had a similar approach problem as you - walk up the road, get a bearing for the summit then turn sharp right and go up steeply - couldn't find a path either but that can be half the fun of it :lol:

PS hope you walked along to the cairn and didn't stop at the trig point.... :think:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Del246 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks guys. Yes, I did not stop at the trig as I had been told it was not the true summit. I don't know why there is not even a small marker post at the start of the pathway.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby pruney84 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Hey Del congrats on your first solo, views still looked good even though it was hazy! This was my first solo aswell and still my only solo munro to date, thoroughly enjoyed it though!
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Del246 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks Pruney. Have you done Ben Chonzie. Thinking of making that solo number 2 !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Rossco » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Good stuff, need to keep my eye out for the path if it's common to miss it. Although I quite fancy cycling up to the dam from Succoth which I've done a few times then up and down Vorlich and an easy cycle back down. :)
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Well done on getting that first solo climb. I tackled this one last summer and had exactly the same problem finding the path - complete nightmare, though the little cairn is clearly visible on the way back down... Once i got on the path I really enjoyed the climb. Ben Chozie is a good one for 2nd choice or Ben Vane as you know where that one is too! Good luck whatever you decide
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby pruney84 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:11 am

Del246 wrote:Thanks Pruney. Have you done Ben Chonzie. Thinking of making that solo number 2 !!

Hey Del, yeah i have done Chonzie. didn't do it solo but it would be a good solo walk i think!
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Del246 wrote:Thanks guys. Yes, I did not stop at the trig as I had been told it was not the true summit. I don't know why there is not even a small marker post at the start of the pathway.

well done Del, i`v done this munro twice since september and walked past the start on both occasions, the first time i just headed up, the second time i walked up and down the road till i found it, and rebuilt the mini cairn at the side of the road, :) obviously the sheep keep kicking it down :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Del246 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Yip, somebody/something keeps kicking the cairn down for the start of the path ! Any suggestions on easier to follow routes on Munros that I can tackle on my own. My mate who I normally go with has changed jobs and our days off now that tie up are very few.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Or any Corbetts too !!!!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Del246 wrote:Yip, somebody/something keeps kicking the cairn down for the start of the path ! Any suggestions on easier to follow routes on Munros that I can tackle on my own. My mate who I normally go with has changed jobs and our days off now that tie up are very few.

i just use walkhighlands, read some reports, check out the guides and off i go. if it wasn`t for this site i would be stuck on 3 or 4 munros and not have a clue about corbetts or grahams :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby niblue » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:59 am

Mount Keen is a good solo choice as there are no routefinding issues. Dreish and Mayar would also be good choices.
niblue
Mountaineer

Munros:56   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Del246 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. After reading quite a few reports im going to give Ben Ledi a go tomorrow.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland