walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Mor and Beag from NF Car Park - Day 3 in Lochaber

Aonach Mor and Beag from NF Car Park - Day 3 in Lochaber

Postby gld73 » Sun May 15, 2022 3:32 pm

Route description: Aonach Mòr and Beag via the Gondola

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr

Date walked: 29/04/2022

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20.3 km

Ascent: 1580m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Packed up and left Glen Nevis pretty early after 2 great days of walking there ... I'd considered doing 2 remaining eastern Mamores from the Kinlochleven side, but as I was needing to head home, I decided to leave those for another time and do Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag instead, as I'd be passing them as I set off north. This meant doing them by the Gondola route, but I had no desire to miss out on the exercise of walking up and also no desire to pay for the Nevis Range car park at the gondola, so decided to make a much longer walk for myself by doing it from the North Face car park at Torlundy. Took 2 hours in total along good forestry tracks to get to Nevis Range and onwards up the mix of paths alongside the mountain bike runs, or heading up rough ground, to get to the upper gondola station where the WH route starts from.
APDC8529.JPG
Started the walk from the North Face car park at Torlundy and look the forest track to Nevis Range

APDC8499.JPG
The gondolas weren't operating yet, I think it was 0930 they suddenly started up but I was in sight of the top gondola station by then. Lack of transport up explained why there were no mountain bikers on the downhill runs as I walked up, so with hindsight, I could have walked on the mountain bike track if I'd known I wasn't risking a collision before that!

APDC8501.JPG
Rough tracks and paths beside the downhill tracks ended above the trees, but I took a direct line up rough, boggy vegetation from here towards the upper gondola station rather than walking up the mountain bike track

APDC8502.JPG
View back down from near the top gondola station, gondolas started up just after this photo.

APDC8504.JPG
Going up the slopes aboe the gondola station, amongst the ski lifts and tows, looking down to Fort William and Loch Eil

Wonderfully impressive sight down into Coire Choille-rais and along the corniced edge of Aonach Mor when the steep slog up the slope finally got to the top of the ridge. From there, it was a lovely easy walk (in these clear conditions) to Aonach Mor's summit and then down to the bealach between the 2 hills.
APDC8505.JPG
Stunning views into the still-snow-filled Coire Choille-rais. Not visible in this photo, but there was a set of footprints zig zagging up the snow from Coire Choille-rais which seemed utterly insane given the avalanche risk.

APDC8507.JPG
Scary cornices above Coire Choille-rais

APDC8510.JPG
Heading along the edge of Aonach Mor's plateau

APDC8511.JPG
Warning signs close to the top of a Neis Range ski tow

APDC8512.JPG
The zig zagging footprints came out on the top plateau here. Don't know if it was an ascent or descent route .. I wouldn't have fancied it either way

APDC8513.JPG
Continuing along the plateau towards Aonach Mor's summit cairn, Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis lie off to the right

APDC8514.JPG
Aonach Mor summit cairn, Aonach Beag visible ahead

APDC8515.JPG
Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis

Heading up Aonach Beag was easier than it looked from a distance, with a path zig zagging up the rocks. The summit area was still covered in snow, and with the small summit cairn being on the edge, it was difficult to accurately tell where the exact summit was and where the cornice started. There were just a handful of other footprints from the last couple of days, all tentatively stopping around the same place I ventured to before retreating. It looked like the high point, at least to a couple of metres.
APDC8516.JPG
Heading down the grassy slope of Aonach Mor to the bealach before the steeper pull up Aonach Beag

APDC8523.JPG
View back to Aonach Mor as I headed up Aonach Beag

APDC8519.JPG
The Mamores to the south of Aonach Beag's snow covered summit

APDC8520.JPG
Ben Nevis and the CMD arete

APDC8524.JPG
As I headed back down to the bealach from Aonach Beag's summit, I noticed more tracks in the steep snow dropping down the eastern side ...

APDC8525.JPG
...looks like footprints up and ski tracks down?!

Returned the same way, with the long descent from Aonach Mor to the Nevis Range car park and bottom gondola station being considerably faster and easier than the steep slog up (1.5hrs to get from the upper gondola station back to the North face car park). So at my pace, the route I took added 3.5hrs of walking on to the WH route description for these 2 munros from the upper gondola station.
APDC8526.JPG
Headed back the same way, passing Aonach Mor's cairn again

APDC8527.JPG
Gondola in full flow by this time, quite a few mountain bikers taking the easy way up :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland