walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

under the weather

under the weather

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 16, 2022 9:06 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Horn

Date walked: 15/05/2022

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1022m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was hoping to be further along the road to get to a nice spot to see the sunrise but ended up with the A96. Needs must!

Set off from the car park at 7.15am with a good view of Ben Stack to draw me along the track.

Unusual tree.

There's also a good view of Arkle.

From the same spot looking back at Ben Stack.

Haven't quite worked out what is what here but possibly Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill and/or satellites.

The two boulders that stand either side of the Arkle / Meall Horn track. Strange to think that the last time I was here was on my way to Arkle during the BSE outbreak that ran into 2001, at the time one of the few places you could climb a hill.

The first 100m of proper ascent is hard work because of the still air and having felt under the weather the day previously. It is a relief to get onto flatter ground.

View south to some Quinag peaks.

The track up is very good but eventually I have to head across the bog verge.

Good view of Arkle on the way up to the Horn bealach.

Zoom to Quinag. It is a bit of a struggle up to the bealach so I just take it a bit at a time and that also lets me take a few photos.

Despite the stoniness of the bealach it is smooth walking -once I have got my breath back. I consider restricting the walk to Creagan Meall Horn only because I am really not finding it easy walking today.

View north to Loch Eriboll. A bit hazy but that is starting to change.

View south east to Meall Horn from near Creagan Meall Horn, the air starting to clear from slight haze to fluffy white cloud.

Foinaven to the north.

Blue sky to the west.

And to the north. Ben Hope visible on the right.

Arkle again.

Arkle and Foinaven.

Meall Horn again. The improving visibility and a rest make me think of including Meall Horn despite my twingy leg and lethargy.

Ben Stack and Arkle again with the weather or air clarity becoming spectacularly good.

Looking back at Creagan Meall Horn from Meall Horn slopes where I again discover that I am not firing on all cylinders. There's a bit of an improvement though because of the gentler gradient and the rest I had at Creagan Meall Horn.

Foinaven, Cranstackie & co.

Fantastic weather.

Glad to see the summit cairn.

Ben Hope again.

View NNW.

Ben Hope again.

View NNE.

View SSE.

Quinag, Ben Stack and Arkle.

Arkle, Creagan Meall Horn and Foinaven.

Ben Stack and Arkle again.

Interesting sky.

Time to descend. View south to Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill. The foreground ridge is the descent route suggested by WH but I decide to be sensible and stick to and out and back route in case I need extra water.

Close up of Arkle from descent.

Zoom south.

Zoom of Arkle crags.

I eventually make it back to the track, a lot easier to descend than ascend. View of Foinaven.

Back near the car park I am a bit tired but very pleased with the day and glad I made the little extra effort to get to Meall Horn despite not really feeling like it at points.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: under the weather

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 pm

Still needing to get a day or two with this kind of weather in the wonderful place that is Assynt, I'm green with envy :sick:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 23, 2022 2:17 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Still needing to get a day or two with this kind of weather in the wonderful place that is Assynt, I'm green with envy :sick:

May always seems to deliver.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 am

Beautiful photos :clap: :clap: , I'm another envious Assynt lover :crazy: . Well done for keeping going when not feeling great :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Sun May 29, 2022 5:53 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Beautiful photos :clap: :clap: , I'm another envious Assynt lover :crazy: . Well done for keeping going when not feeling great :D

Thanks! Always helps when the air clears like that.
litljortindan
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland