walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Waterpipe Gully Sgurr an Fheadain

Waterpipe Gully Sgurr an Fheadain

Postby chazzyboy19 » Wed May 18, 2022 5:54 pm

Date walked: 17/05/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.1 km

Ascent: 916m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a day with John Smith of Skye Adventure, parked at the Fairy Pools car park and walked along the degraded path to the foot of the ridge, geared up and crossed the initial slabs in short pitches before crossing west onto the main ridge, mainly moving together, made good progress, then the rain came on so got on all the wet weather gear and then had a couple of short belayed sections before reaching the top in the pouring rain and strong wind. worked down slippy rakes to the top of the stone chute then down the scree to the corrie bottom, followed the path back to the car, soaked but happy. A great route slightly spoiled by it beingh quite so wet, of course it dried up a bit as soon as we got back to the car.
Attachments
20220517_114235.jpg
gear off

0782 Waterpipe gully on Sgurr an Fheadain.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by chazzyboy19 on Thu May 19, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chazzyboy19
Ambler

Munros:106   Corbetts:168
Fionas:99   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:186   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:42

Re: Waterpipe Gully Sgurr an Fheadain

Postby gaffr » Thu May 19, 2022 6:06 am

I guess that you mean the steepish terrain left of the dark depths of the damp spectacular slot : :lol:
I went to shin up a few dark slots in the past until I found drier stuff.....appears to be a reasonable way up to the ridge.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Waterpipe Gully Sgurr an Fheadain

Postby chazzyboy19 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:10 pm

Doesn't actually take you to the ridge there are still some more scrambly bits to go and another 150m elevation gain
chazzyboy19
Ambler

Munros:106   Corbetts:168
Fionas:99   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:186   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:42

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland