walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maoile Lunndaidh - my least favourite hill ever.

Maoile Lunndaidh - my least favourite hill ever.

Postby Sspaterson » Thu May 19, 2022 9:53 am

Route description: Maoile Lunndaidh

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh

Date walked: 15/05/2022

Time taken: 5.4 hours

Distance: 26 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The start of this didn't bode well. Having done Lurg Mhor and Cheesecake yesterday, I was down to two bars of charge on the E-bike. We had parked overnight at the Strathcarron Hotel enjoying their facilities for £5 a head. Thought I'd just take the battery out and charge it over dinner (offering to pay of course) but damn it, the key had been forgotten and there was no-where to plug it directly in.

I'd cycled the same route last year to do the other two Munros in here so knew there were some nasty slopes to get up. I managed it before on my normal bike with a bit of pushing but the e-bike is much heavier so was feeling a tad anxious.

With the e-assist switch in the off position, we set off. Hubby on his gravel bike. Hit the first hill and flicked the switch to eco, then tour mode just to save getting off. The hills went on for longer than I remembered and of course we were cycling further in. I was soon down to one bar and switched off again to freewheel down to where we dumped the bikes. Got here in an hour which was pretty good going.

This was where the pleasantness ended. Path!!!! What path!!! there then ensued a boggy, peat hag, boring, seemingly endless existence up the shoulder which got steeper and steeper to the extent that my poles were looped over my wrists and I was dragging them as I clung on to tussocks to get to the top of Carn nam Fiaclan.

IMG_0180.jpeg
I'm not happy

At last the gradient eased off and it was and easy walk round the plateau on thankfully a fine day so the views were nice. After reaching the summit, it was a similar trudge back down, with about three feet of path every kilometre or so. I didn't even have a coming off the hill ear worm in my head as this was total concentration of navigating constantly and watching where to put my feet.

IMG_0185.jpeg
Faking happiness

Last year my pal had been keen to do this along with the other two but I was particularly knackered that day after a crap night with midges in a tent at Kinlochewe and baking, muggy heat. But seeing and experiencing it on a day like today, which was pretty perfect, I think she would have had to carry me back out kicking and screaming that I'd never climb another hill in my life.

IMG_0186.jpeg
Pathfinding - there ain't one!

At last we reached the slow moving burn and I found an antler. Crossed, got back on bikes and took us 30 minutes back to the van. The one bar of charge got me up a wee slop then it was freewheeling most of the way.

IMG_0189.jpeg
Last one home is a big jessie

IMG_6910.jpeg
Think they might want their antler back!

Beastie count - 3 midge bites though I wasn't aware of them at the time, only in the heat of a shower at the end of the day. 1 tick bite, also noticed in shower and it got me on the fleshy part of my back, which was covered all the time - just goes to show how they linger on your clothes and home in later.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Re: Maoile Lunndaidh - my least favourite hill ever.

Postby Mal Grey » Thu May 19, 2022 8:20 pm

Hah. This reminded me of my own experience of Meall Lumpy. Cycled up into a strong headwind, still having to be in first gear on some of the flat bits, then when just below the summit, both me and my mate were hit by cramps at the same time. Nearly killed us.

However, for anybody (un)inspired by the idea of this hill, I can add that a far superior way up is to go up the amazing triple-level coire of Fuar-tholl Mor, though the climb out the back is steep (but not technical) and definitely pathless!

That final cycle descent is a joy.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland