walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another, different, Cnoc Ceislein circular from Evanton

Another, different, Cnoc Ceislein circular from Evanton

Postby gld73 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc Ceislein

Date walked: 19/05/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15.8 km

Ascent: 600m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cnoc Ceislein is usually done from the Fyrish car park, going via the Fyrish monument. I did a different, longer route from Evanton last year ( https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=103357 ) and today was just going to use that way up as a there and back route for an afternoon walk. However, once at the trig point, I looked along the wide ridge and remembered thinking it was a nice looking hill from my walk back last time when I'd seen it from a different angle than usual, and had fancied walking along the length of it. So I abandoned thoughts of a there and back walk, and returned by walking along the length of the hill over its easy bumps and dips, and descended down a steep heather slope to meet another forestry track. There are a lot of forestry tracks and it can be quite confusing .... I've no idea if I took ones I was intending when looking at my map, but there are enough sightings of the distinct landmarks of the Cromarty Bridge and Highland Deephaven causeway to stay orientated and head the right way back via whichever tracks you choose.
Today's approximate route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

No photos from the walk up as I wasn't expecting to do a report, just thought I'd do a short one in case anyone fancied another route suggestion for this hill. I started at the free car park in Evanton, took the same way up as my last report, but came back a different, shorter way this time.
APDC8598.JPG
Ben Wyvis from the summit of Cnoc Ceislein

APDC8600.JPG
Fyrish to the SE, with the rigs lined up in the Cromarty Firth just about visible

APDC8601.JPG
This is the view along the hill from the summit, quite an inviting route on a day like today.

APDC8605.JPG
...and the view back along the ridge to the summit as I got to the final 'bump' (it'd be a stretch to call it a top!). Beinn Tharsuinn is the hill in the background.

APDC8606.JPG
East to Fyrish, and the industrial activities of Nigg and Invergordon on the Cromarty Firth

APDC8609.JPG
I headed down the steep heathery slope in the direction of the Cromarty Bridge (in the distance) as my OS map showed I should then hit a forestry track (visible in this shot). It actually extends further now than shown on my old map as there's new forestry on the lower slopes of Cnoc Ceislein on this side, but not impeding this way down.

APDC8611.JPG
Another look over to Wyvis as I descended to the track

APDC8612.JPG
View back along the track to the slope I'd come down (on the left). The gorse was making a decent effort to take over the track at many points up here, I was starting to regret wearing shorts!

APDC8613.JPG
Continuing down, the Deepwater causeway jutting into the Cromarty Firth being a good landmark. There were a few track junctions, I seemed to stick to this track all the way to a crossroads of tracks in a clearing after a flattish section, and turned right to head downhill again then. Pretty sure they all meet up one way or another though, some routes will just be a bit longer than others.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland