walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a’Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Beinn a’Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Postby Craig 7483 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:52 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 07/05/2022

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Until now, I had been to Arran half a dozen times or so far this year trying to maintain some sort of fitness and trying to shed my winter coat. I had always planned to return to the munros once Spring returned and get some new ones under my belt, it really is a fantastic hobby when you get the conditions. I can spend a good few hours per week planning days out and the long drives and was keen to get back out there.

A jittery sleep the previous night however, culminated in a stubborn refusal to get up at 0330 to make my eagerly awaited return to the 3000ft+ hills. Having slept in, I rejigged my plans and opted for Beinn a’Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich which are closer to home and yet to do but with later starts the roads are busier and this was a good idea as a fallback option as I often factor in to my planning schedules. Having already done Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh which sit to the Southwest, I reckoned if the former two were even half as good as the latter then it’d make for a satisfactory day out on the hills.

Parked on the verges and began on the advised WH route and went straight onto the path. Little in to this route a very distinct bull came to my attention on the left hand side penned in on his own. I peered up discreetly without drawing attention to myself (a tad of a bovinophobe!) and was drawn to its definition & physique; every sinew stretched to accomodate its vast bulk - not to be messed with! Shortly after I was greeted with a herd of Highland Cattle this time to the right, minding their own business, there was an option to bypass them on the left which many had clearly done on the well trodden path to the left of them. Took my first photo of the day of one on the passing.
666D5AF6-4110-48CF-82EC-FE90DE43218C.jpeg
Merged back onto the path and kept the momentum going. Not too long after the bridge, keep your eyes peeled for the path taking a sharp right and doubling back as shown in the map described in the WH route.
You are now facing Beinn Eunaich’s Southwestern aspect (picture below). I walked past the small cairn denoting the path to Beinn a’Chochuill to obtain this.
17B619E0-4A56-4A5D-B982-1613ECFDC2D7.jpeg
Beinn Eunaich
The path comes and goes as you make your way up to the ridge of the first munro. At this point it was steep, exhausting and unexciting as the ground isn’t particularly great here for walking on; paradoxically, I often enjoy these dull parts of hillwalking because I try to motor on and sustain a hard pace as one of the benefits is keeping my weight in check and it gets the rough bits out the way quicker! At the top you’re then at a T-Junction whereby hanging a left I was on a now decent path to Beinn a’Chochuill’s summit.
75B29221-BC87-4B2E-AA3C-B35494C9F7F6.jpeg
Up and over the outcrop to the summit ahead
4C41380E-6BEC-453A-9A50-0EDA775A0D67.jpeg
Summit cairn

Had a light lunch and admired the Cruachan ridgeline from my easterly position before heading back along to the ‘T-Junction’ from where I took a left and made my way onto Beinn Eunaich. There was quite a loss of altitude in this one as you can see from the photo below.
D4FEA0DC-13FA-4E45-8F68-B6C279B5DB5F.jpeg
Beinn Eunaich
The path up was good but becomes bouldery near the summit but was straightforward to plot your way through that then onto Beinn Eunaich’s summit cairn.
227B4E86-8404-4746-B960-D7A54F486CD3.jpeg
Beinn Eunaich summit. Beinn a’Chochuill & Ben Cruachan further in background.
I spent less than ten minutes at the top and made my way back on the designated route. I was dreading the notorious steep section which I knew lay ahead.

It is very loose and steep on the road down to the cairn which takes you back on the path you walk in on. Because it was warmish and dry, I went on the grass nearby at times but this wouldn’t be wise in wet conditions. Progress was painfully slow for me at this awkward descent and was relieved to get back on the decent path again to take me on the way back out.
9F2B2CF9-8273-4726-A1E0-1A71BCAA0FE3.jpeg
Looking back up the valley to Lairig Noe
From here in it’s just a case of following the road back you came in and with the slight detour taking to avert a possible confrontation with the Highland Cattle!

I enjoyed these two hills and the workout they gave me. I do feel however if I were to return to the area I would possibly pick Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh over them however though just as a preference.

It’s good to be back!
Craig 7483

Munros:88   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland