walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Southern Stobs at Black Mount

Southern Stobs at Black Mount

Postby Craig 7483 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:51 am

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 14/05/2022

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Second time in as many weeks to bag a brace of munros, again, in the Argyll area.

Heading northbound on the A82 carriageway, I took a left immediately after the Bridge of Orchy hotel which then takes you onto a single track road for four miles, past the Inverornan hotel to which there is a sign beyond highlighting the car park designated for doing Stob Ghabhar and the adjoining munro. It caught my eye that the Mountain Rescue were present in the carpark as I got kitted up and set off. It wasnt long past 9 o’clock.

The path begins on a part of the famous West Highland Way and had the route well-swotted on the days beforehand, it wasn’t long until I met my first landmark, the green mountaineering hut. Quick check of the map reaffirmed that I took a right immediately after and onto the path that takes you in a general NNW direction to begin with as you make your way to Stob a’Choire Odhair. Both munros were visible under the conditions available at that time to your left (Stob Ghabhar) and right (Stob a’Choire Odhair).
6BADFC78-8E46-485F-82ED-D133C4156686.jpeg
Stob Ghabhar on the left and its waterfall - more on that later

The actual path is good in the main, however, in the early stages after the mountaineering hut and coming down off Ghabhar has its moments where it’s boggy. Keep an eye out in the very early stages of the walk to your right hand side, many hillwalkers have blazed a new path higher up running parallel at the worst parts.

When you cross Allt Caolain Duibh, the route hangs a right and the altitude becomes more serious where there is a lot of zigzagging.
CDE2238F-E3A7-4E06-94A6-5CA53CFF3B43.jpeg
Allt Caolain Duibh
8EB4B40B-7082-4B46-996A-D9E6621AFAB3.jpeg
Looking west across the valley at the zigzags
Midway into having a good go at the zigzags I turned around to look back to see how good progress was. Some of the mountains behind were generating cloud and you could see some were even experiencing rain. I hoped this trend wouldn’t continue north! I had recently purchased new waterproof gear and was hoping today wasn’t going to be their maiden outing. As it turned out, the stormy weather never materialised although clouds were intermittent at times in second half of the walk. The full weather experience on this day gives credence that every mountain has its own microclimate.

The path kind of disappears as you near Stob a’Choire Odhair’s summit but you just keep heading for the obvious high point and you meet the summit cairn and on this day, an atmospheric Rannoch Moor to the north.
840F02CD-B967-40DF-8342-870158AD8D57.jpeg
Stob a’Choire Odhair summit
I didn’t spend a great deal of time on the summit. Uncertainty regarding the weather had me wanting to crack on with things so headed out westwards to Stob Ghabhar. It’s fairly obvious and wasn’t long before the route made gradual ascent but it’s when the lochan comes into view things ratchet up a notch or two.
FEB16935-8741-44F3-9045-039144E919A6.jpeg
Coirein Lochain
By this point the path really comes and goes and there is a lot of loose rock as the climb begins in earnest. Your hands will be used often and at times your stomach will be merely a few inches off the ground as you charter your way through this section. I stopped regular to see how far I was up and it was a good feeling when I could feel the wind suddenly coming over from the other side, I knew that was me onto the Aonach Eagach part of the route.
A29D89BC-D414-49F8-B206-18342A141803.jpeg
The snow on the northern headwall (left on pic) had me thinking it may have straddled the path further up when climbing up from the lochan. Thankfully it wasn’t to be
30E28989-0433-474D-B32F-AE5E5DFBB3FD.jpeg
Aonach Eagach
The Aonach Eagach ridgeline was easy, fun but short lived. A cairn sits to the left near the end which marks the descent route for most folk once you reach Stob Ghabhar. A cornice had formed not long after this and I could see some rocks had been resting on it. Presumably people trying to make the snow shelf collapse as shown below.
63DB5F78-4B8E-4DE4-8C05-44A353F86092.jpeg
There was poles after this ushering you onto Stob Ghabhar’s summit. No views today sadly. I made my way back to the cairn for the descent.
6B09F784-F3A1-41A3-B734-92E1B2055AF6.jpeg
Stob Ghabhar’s summit cairn
EB106B2C-8B4E-41B5-A56B-D9AFA0C99AE3.jpeg
Break in the cloud reveals Odhair in background on way down
The path leads down and there are more poles which you can use as an aid to help you down for a good part of the way. I was content on using advice issued in the WH route so I knew before the end of the corrie to get across the stream before the waterfalls.
11FBC31D-0645-4E43-B0FD-364C46DDF643.png
The descent
You can’t help but marvel at the beauty at the waterfalls now on your right but the utmost of care is required to get down at this part. I had to sit down at times and position myself over and down here and there while taking my time. The weather was now improving and I do regret forgetting to take a towel with me as the waterfalls looked amazing.
FAADAD6D-6EAE-42B6-81AA-FEE5630D0D10.jpeg
Managed to cross Allt Toaig through the narrow channel down and back up out of it. I was now on the path I walked in on making my way to the car park. Several police vehicles were now there alongside the two ladies from the Mountain Rescue from earlier. I spoke to them briefly as I was sorting out things for the drive home. The dedication and sacrifices these volunteers make is truly off the scale.
Craig 7483

Munros:88   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland