walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Keelylang

Keelylang

Postby KatTai » Tue May 24, 2022 8:47 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Keelylang Hill (Mainland Orkney)

Date walked: 13/05/2022

Time taken: 1.2 hours

Distance: 6.1 km

Ascent: 190m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The second of the Orkney sub-2000s done on our holiday, Keelylang. Parked up at Cruan Stables, I'd read on another website that people were able to park there. They were in the middle of riding lessons and there was no one about so didn't actually ask if it was okay as I didn't want to disturb them. Very easy walk following the track all the way up to the masts at the summit and spotting several hen harriers on the way. I had an extra doggy with me for this one. After 6 months of physio, Dakota has been cleared to start normal activity including smaller hills and Keelylang certainly fit the bill with the good track all the way. We'd have probably done the walk in about an hour, but there were some distractions on route in the shape of some very big puddles and Dakota really loves puddles...

P1140453.JPG

P1140370.JPG
Keelylang on the right

P1140376.JPG

P1140380.JPG
Male hen harrier

P1140469.JPG

P1140560.JPG
Summit of Keelylang

P1140657.JPG
Moss lying back and enjoying the view!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland