walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mid Hill (Orkney)

Mid Hill (Orkney)

Postby KatTai » Tue May 24, 2022 9:19 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mid Hill (Mainland Orkney)

Date walked: 18/05/2022

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 362m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hill number three and of the five we did on Orkney this was the most challenging, though that was predominantly because I went on a day where they had been heavy rain earlier on in the morning making what would have been an already wet boggy route even more wet and boggy :lol:

Parked up at the viewpoint on Scorradale road and followed the track upwards. The initial part of the track was getting quite badly eroded but this improves after a short distance where it was just very wet. Through a gate which took a bit of work to get open and then through a set of double gates the track heads towards Ward Hill. At a small cairn we took a smaller path following it towards a fence. We crossed the fence into the firing range (no flags up) as that fence had partly fallen down, so not a very secure firing range if it is still in use! and the next fence was easy to cross on this side too. At a gate we went back onto the other side of the fence to head for Mid Hill first following a narrow path. In hindsight it would have been better to stay on the other side as part of the hill on this side is steep bare ground, not sure if there was maybe a bit of a landslide there or something but it was a pain to walk across especially as it was wet. Once across we continued to follow the path and which started to disappear, but at this point we could see the clear path going up Mid Hill and just headed towards that following it to the summit which was marked by a small stone slab. At least I figured that was what it was lying there for!

We followed the path down towards Ward Hill. On the way up I wasn't sure if we'd be able to get over the fence and there didn't appear to be a gate, but as it was the path led to a small section of fence where the wire had been bent inwards and the dogs were able to just jump over it for the short ascent to the summit of Ward Hill, which despite not being the highest of the two was by far the better viewpoint and worth adding on.

From there we followed a path down towards a track and that led round to the gate we used earlier, from here we just retraced our steps back to the layby.

P1180832.JPG

P1180835.JPG

P1180886.JPG

P1180899.JPG

P1180916.JPG
Panoramic from the summit of Mid Hill

P1180932.JPG
The girls looking for the summit marker to pose with...

P1190121.JPG
They don't mind a wet walk...

P1190346.JPG
Ward Hill summit
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Mid Hill (Orkney)

Postby Harpmonk » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:07 am

Excellent report, thanks, and super collies too :thumbup:

Alas, I found this only after doing Ward Hill and Mid Hill today. Pretty much the same ascent as you, through very boggy vague paths and with a bit of fence climbing, but I jarred my back after one slip too many on the muddy 'track' so opted for the main path back down Rams Dale, by the rifle range. I wish I hadn't: the non-stop gunshots and sheep on the track made it a nightmare descent as my collie pulled this way and that, making my bad back worse. And the final trudge along the road and up the hill to the Scorradale viewpoint layby was tedious!

Would be good to repeat the walk in Scuba gear and wellies :lol:
DSC_2506 (2).JPG
Border Collie Tia approaching Mid Hill
Harpmonk
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Mid Hill (Orkney)

Postby KatTai » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:27 pm

Harpmonk wrote:Excellent report, thanks, and super collies too :thumbup:

Alas, I found this only after doing Ward Hill and Mid Hill today. Pretty much the same ascent as you, through very boggy vague paths and with a bit of fence climbing, but I jarred my back after one slip too many on the muddy 'track' so opted for the main path back down Rams Dale, by the rifle range. I wish I hadn't: the non-stop gunshots and sheep on the track made it a nightmare descent as my collie pulled this way and that, making my bad back worse. And the final trudge along the road and up the hill to the Scorradale viewpoint layby was tedious!

Would be good to repeat the walk in Scuba gear and wellies :lol:
DSC_2506 (2).JPG

Ouch hope your back is feeling better soon! Lovely dog too! There wasn't many sheep when we were there just a few, I think a lot of them were still lower down with lambs and not out on the open hill.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland