walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fitty Hill

Fitty Hill

Postby KatTai » Tue May 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Fitty Hill

Date walked: 19/05/2022

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 175m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Thursday saw us heading to Westray and the fifth hill of the holiday. We had two weeks on Orkney and I still didn't get round to going to Rousay (though I've done the hill there previously) and have left the hills of Hoy which are a much steeper prospect as we only managed to get across to Hoy on a short last-minute trip! Westray had already been planned though and it is a stunning island that I wouldn't mind spending a couple of days on, though given on another route we ended up turning back because the dogs couldn't get over one of the stiles it would be something better to do as a dog-free trip.

Fitty Hill is the only sub-2000 on Westray and the shortest ascent, the walk was shortened even further because instead of parking at the wide entrance further up the road my OH just sat in the car at the bottom of the track while I headed up the hill with Moss and Zena :lol:

There is a signpost for Fitty Hill and the path pretty much goes in almost a straight line to the summit. The only difficulty was one of the gates which I had to lift up for the girls to go under. The summit was soon reached giving views across Westray and beyond with a few Bonxies coming over to investigate but they didn't object to us being there. Among the Bonxies was something different though and it was only at home when I checked the photos on the laptop that I could get a proper ID...a Black Kite! A bit of time was spent at the summit before heading back down.

P1210377.JPG
Welcoming committee

P1210407.JPG
Help please!

P1210560.JPG
Fitty Hill summit

P1210619.JPG
Black Kite

P1210495.JPG
Bonxie
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland