walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Gorgeous Day in Glen Shiel

A Gorgeous Day in Glen Shiel

Postby HighlandTrekker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Conbhairean round

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 18/04/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1322m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my last outing into the hills which was somewhat less than inspiring it was with some eagerness that I planned my next walk. And after seeing the weather report, the wife and I decided it was time to head back to Glen Shiel and attempt the 3 munros which we didn't do a couple of months earlier...(The reason we didn't do them was because I had forgotten the wife's walking boots)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So it was, on Monday morning we headed over to Glen Shiel. The MWIS forecast said there was over 90% chance of cloud free munros and no real chance of rain.... Perfect day for walking then.....
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (3).JPG
Car Park
Parking at the parking space near Lundie we headed up the Old Military Road until we reached the transmitter and then took a right and started ascending straight away. It had not rained for a few days so the path was nice and dry.
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (5).JPG
Transmitter

There was a lot more cloud than the forecast had predicted but this was fortunately going to clear up by midday.
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (9).JPG
Our first views looking south
It only took a couple of hours and we were already at the summit of Carn Ghluasaid, seeing a couple of ptarmigan on the way.
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (10).JPG
Ptarmigan
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (15).JPG
Summit of Carn Ghluasaid

The cloud which was there had lifted for a while and the summit had some great views down into Gleann Fada and over to Glen Affric. A quick photo later and we continued over to the second summit of the day Sgurr nan Conbhairean.
There was a path which seemed to come and go but it wasn't hard going and it wasn't long before we were at our second summit. Unfortunately the cloud had really come in (This must have been the 10% chance of cloudy Munro summits).
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (19).JPG
The cloud coming in atop of Sgurr nan Conbhairean
We decided to have a quick bite to eat here. The summit cairn is quite big and you can sit inside it which was quite pleasant as the wind had started to pick up.
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (20).JPG
SUmmit cairn Sgurr nan Conbhairean
We sat here for a while and waited for the cloud to disperse which when it did left more great views. This was to be the last of the cloud and as we headed over to our final Munro of the day the sun was positively smiling down on us. The fleece was soon off and the sun cream out.
There is a path pretty much all the way to Sail Chaorainn, though in poor visibility I imagine it would be quite easy to get disorientated up here. Especially on the descent from Sgurr nan Conbhairean over to Sail Chaorainn.
When we finally reached Sail Chaorainn we were soaked through with sweat and here we stayed for nearly an hour just enjoying the views and the rare opportunity of getting a sun tan whilst atop a mountain.. There was another guy up there who had decided to go over to Carn na Coire Mheadhoin 'just in case they decide that, that one is higher than this one' he said.
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (28).JPG
Summit of Sail Chaorainn
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (29).JPG
Gorgeous view
Glen Shiel Munros 18.04 (30).JPG
More views

We really didn't want to leave but decided that it was time to head down. We made our way back over to Sgurr nan Conbhairean, we didn't go back to the summit but headed to the right of it and over to the southwest ridge, which is initially broad but soon narrows to a fine arete with the Gorm Lochan down to the right and Toll Easach to the left. We made our way down to Meall Breac. From here down to the road is quite steep and hard on the knees. Again we were lucky as there had not been much rain and the track down was quite dry but I should imagine it is a real nightmare in the wet.
The track leads you to the river next to the Old Military Road. We crossed the river here as it was a good place to wash our boots off. Deciding against walking along the military road we decided to walk back along the road and back to the car. Once back at the car we walked down to the loch and dipped our feet which was pure bliss :D :D
This was an absolute perfect day and has given me back the love of the hills which I felt was missing on my last outing.....
HighlandTrekker
Munro compleatist

Munros:74   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   

Re: A Gorgeous Day in Glen Shiel

Postby monty » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Nice report Ho=ighlandtrekker,
So after starting of reasonable then
(This must have been the 10% chance of cloudy Munro summits)
the clouds cleared to give a fantastic day. Nice. :D Thats a nice walk but the weather makes it special. :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Great report and some beautiful haze free photos :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:31 pm

It's a great walk this one :) . Some great pics here, enjoyed that :D . When I did these 3 last year it was similar weather - cloud clearing to give great views.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland