walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sandaig Bay

Sandaig Bay

Postby IainG » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Route description: Sandaig (Camusfearna)

Date walked: 21/04/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was recently given the biography of Gavin Maxwell, The Saga of Ring of Bright Water, an excellent book written about the writer by Douglas Botting. As a writer, he's probably best known for Ring of Bright Water and his relationship with Otters.

Reading it, it becomes obvious that he is a character of very wide contrasts. Nature lover due to his dealings with otters, or bloodthirsty killer after his horrendous shark fishing venture. City yuppie, or country loner, even English or Scottish. A very interesting read.

So much of his biography and his later life evolve around Sandaig Bay near Glenelg. It was referred to as Camusfearna in his best known book Ring of Bright Water. Looking at the photos from back then, it was an idyllic spot. It's easy to imagine where you'd get inspiration for writing living at such a remote and fairly inaccessible spot.

I'd seen photos of the place taken recently, and was very interested in visiting myself to see what this place was like.

I've got an old VW camper van and the road up and over Ratagan Pass certainly gives the engine a good workout. I'd been up and over a couple of times previously with the van, but it never fails to amaze me the height which is gained so rapidly up the hairpins. Just look down over the verge when descending. Incredible road.

There is a lot of forestry work going on around Sandaig Bay, and what looked like one of the main paths down to the bay was closed off and forestry machinery was hard at work in that area. There was a little sign pointing to Sandaig Bay, instructing to continue along the main forest track. I followed the main track along past the shut path, over a concrete bridge across a burn, up and over a hill then followed a branch down on my right towards the coast. I would recommend just follow the footprints of people. It is a popular spot due to the connection with Gavin Maxwell.

Following the track down towards the shore, the first view you get of the bay is from an elevated viewing position, fenced so as not to slip down the short cliffs to the bay. My first impression was the beauty of the place. It's almost live a curving natural harbour with rocky outcrops, a sandy beach turning stony, leading to an elevated grassy meadow. It is very much like an island, although it's just a spur off the peninsula. The climate can't be that bad here as the grass on the meadow was long and fairly lush. In the weather I experienced, I would certainly liked to have lived in this spot.

The first view of the remaining cottage.

The memorial to Gavin Maxwell.

And the memorial to Edal the Otter.

Some views of the bay.

We rummaged around in the rock pools for a while. Must be really clean water, the first time I've seen sea anemones!

An incredibly rewarding walk. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my dog!

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Sandaig Bay

Postby walk aboot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for posting, IainG. I'm going there next week too :D . Did you notice if the rowan tree is still there?
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby walk aboot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:32 pm

I've read Botting's book too :) . Anyone else who likes to read about Gavin Maxwell might be interested to know that a new edition of Richard Frere's biography of him, 'Maxwell's Ghost' is being released in July 8) .
walk aboot

Postby IainG » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:33 pm

I actually forgot to look! You mean the one where the curse was served?

The problem is that there is a lot of forestry work going on and at the moment you can't go by what I think is the normal route.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby walk aboot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 pm

IainG wrote:I actually forgot to look! You mean the one where the curse was served?

The problem is that there is a lot of forestry work going on and at the moment you can't go by what I think is the normal route.

Yup, that's the one :)
walk aboot

Postby IainG » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:39 pm

I wish now I had have looked for it. It's a surprisingly small site, if you cross the rope bridge and head up the hill, you'd probably find it up there I'd imagine.

I now need to go back! :lol:
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Nice one IanG - love the pic of your dog at the end....absolutely content :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby walk aboot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:04 pm

IainG wrote:I wish now I had have looked for it. It's a surprisingly small site, if you cross the rope bridge and head up the hill, you'd probably find it up there I'd imagine.

I now need to go back! :lol:

Yup, you'll need to go back I'm afraid :D . I just googled and apparently it's still there. I'll take a photo of it for you if I can find it :) .

I wish I'd known someone from WH with wheels was going. I'm cycling from Glenelg and I've got a feeling the hilly road from there is going to hurt :? .
walk aboot

Postby yokehead » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Is the cottage occupied? Helluva shame if it's just being left to disintegrate. :(
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby walk aboot » Sun May 01, 2011 12:50 am

There you go, found the rowan tree :D , it's on the hill directly behind where the house used to be.

DSCF1617.JPG
Rowan Tree at Sandaig

Beautiful place 8)
walk aboot

Postby JTweedie » Sun May 01, 2011 7:50 am

I'm reading this book as well, having not long ago read Ring of Bright Water. My first thought after reading it is that I should visit the area as well, but reading the biography it looks like I'm not the first and won't be the last. It seemed a shame that his peace and tranquility was spoiled so much by so many people visiting him, some even knocking on his door in the middle of the night!

I found him to be a man of contrast as well, his shark hunting venture was a big mistake, and it seemed he only came to realise this quite a bit later in his life.

Did you see the waterfall behind the house?
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Sun May 01, 2011 7:58 am

Great to see some great lower level reports :D

Is the cottage occupied? Helluva shame if it's just being left to disintegrate. :(

Maxwell's cottage burnt down - the cottage in the photos belonged to one of his friends (and never got a mention in his books I don't think)

I loved the biography - amazing life story and brilliantly told I think.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby IainG » Sat May 07, 2011 2:48 pm

walk aboot wrote:There you go, found the rowan tree :D , it's on the hill directly behind where the house used to be.

Beautiful place 8)

Hmm, is that the right tree? From his book, the otter was buried at the foot of the tree in question, which according to Paul has died after being overgrown by a Norwegian Fir!! :D :D :lol:
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby walk aboot » Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Yup, scrap that, Paul's right, it isn't the 'curse' rowan tree...still a nice rowan tree at Sandaig though :)
walk aboot

Postby Border Reiver » Sat May 07, 2011 10:25 pm

It's a beautiful spot alright. I was there in the early 80's and although the forestry was quite young, the path was difficult to find. When you go out to the highest point beyond the burn outlet and look down towards where the house was, the curve of the burn from where it meets the sea, back towards the edge of the trees, combined with the sea at high tide, makes about 3/4 of a circle of - presumably, the "ring of bright water" referred to.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland