walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Borders Day 2 - back on the bike

Borders Day 2 - back on the bike

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:10 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Glenrath Heights, Stob Law

Date walked: 29/05/2022

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 910m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Donalds / New Donalds: Glenrath Heights, Stob Law, Clockmore.
Date: 29/05/2022.
Distance: 11 + 1.5km.
Ascent: 620 + 290m.
Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes + 40 minutes.
Weather: Grey with some sunny spells.
Included within a 57 mile cycle from Broughton.

I had camped the previous night a few miles from Broughton so I got up nice and early and was parked by the public toilets by 7:45am. Miraculously they were open even before 8am on a Sunday which was much appreciated. Today's main feature would be a cycle following the Tweed with a return via St Mary's Loch and the Megget/Talla Reservoir road, but I was also hoping to pick off a couple of Donalds along the way. I had originally considered driving round to Peebles and doing the walk first followed by the cycle but it made sense to save on diesel and roll everything into one.

Cycling map

A slightly chilly start was soon forgotten with a puff up the hill out of Broughton on the north side of the Tweed. Then it was back down again and past Stobo Castle. The roads were nice and quiet this early on.

Chapelgill Hill and Blakehope Head from above Broughton

Cycling past Trahenna Hill

A well-placed footbridge allowed me to avoid the busier A72 into Peebles entirely, instead taking me into the mouth of the Manor Valley and round the foot of the rocky part of Cademuir Hill - pleasant cycling :) . I then cycled down to Hundleshope farm and a short way up the burn behind it to access my main walk of the day.

Footbridge over the Tweed near Lyne Station

Hundleshope Heights from Cademuir

Glenrath Heights and Stob Law were the summits that I was after on this walk, but looking at the map I couldn't remember which bumps were Donalds and which weren't. I knew though that if I followed the skyline of the Hundleshope Burn I would end up going over all of the hills I required. A couple of routes were possible - I decided to go up to the old fort (little evidence of this left but nice easy walking on short grass) followed by Juniper Craigs. I had to climb a wall and there was a very short bit of off-piste to pick up an obvious path which came from somewhere else. The Craigs provided some interest on a pretty heathery hillside.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Juniper Craigs and Rae Burn

Wether Law from Juniper Craigs

On Juniper Craigs

Above the Craigs a good track led the rest of the way to the trig point on Hundleshope Heights with good views of Peebles and Arthur's Seat opening up.

Peebles and Newby Kipps

Pentlands, Moorfoots and Peebles

The plateau was much drier and grassier than I expected for the most part and I was able to keep my feet dry despite wearing trail shoes. This was quite different to my previous experience on the other side of the Glensax Horseshoe on Birkscairn Hill!

Heading for Glenrath Heights

High sheep

Paramotor

Once at the high point of Hundleshope Heights a very short retrace of steps led me steeply down towards Stob Law. The going was dry again and there were good views into the Manor Valley. Stob Law summit was quickly attained.

Glenrath and Stob Law

Glenrath and Pykestone Hill

Descending towards Stob Law

Fife and Arthurs Seat

Along the ridges of Hundleshope Heights from Stob Law

The descent back to the bike took me over some smaller summits (Glenrath Hill and Canada Hill) before dropping me into the trees above Hundleshope. A steep descent through these led me through a gate and back onto the track I had started up. An enjoyable short alternative to the entire Glensax horseshoe.

It was getting on for lunchtime so I diverted into the centre of Peebles for a coffee and something sugary to eat with my lunch. It was quite busy so after the coffee I decided to carry on and find a quieter spot to eat.

Peebles

Back out of Peebles, I hit the back road towards Traquair stopping at Traquair Forestry Commission carpark for lunch. I had been worried that this would be a busy road but it wasn't too bad at all.

Across the Tweed to Innerleithen

Then it was time for the long climb and descent over to St Mary's Loch. This was never steep but it went on a bit! Having whizzed over here a few times in the car before without paying much attention to the scenery, it was much more enjoyable at a slower pace. As I turned right for St Mary's Loch I discovered some more uphill that I hadn't anticipated, plus I still seemed to be cycling into the wind somehow :roll: .

On the Traquair to Yarrow road

St Marys Loch

The main road hadn't been too busy but I was soon onto the quieter road heading for Megget Reservoir. Not that it was that much quieter, but the traffic was a bit slower. So was I as I began to climb towards the top of the dam! Although inconspicuous due to being covered in grass, the dam is impressively large and so is the reservoir. There is a bit of a high water mark around the edge, but as it stores drinking water, the levels don't go up and down anywhere near as frequently as the big hydro reservoirs in the Highlands, so it is nowhere near as prominent..

Megget Dam and Reservoir

Megget Reservoir

About three quarters of the way along, I decided to add in a second hillwalk - more of a dash than a proper walk really. Clockmore is only a New Donald and fitting it into a round that I'm likely to do any time soon seems nigh on impossible. 4 years ago I had driven along this road twice in the same weekend both times intending to stop and nip up it, but I hadn't bothered in the end. It looked steep from the side but a fair height of it was well grazed by sheep, so I thought the ground would be good.

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meggethead and Dead for Cauld from Clockmore

The ground was mostly good - a bit of heather bashing higher up but overall the ascent only took 25 minutes. It was definitely steep though! There were some good views down the reservoir and St Mary's Loch, and beyond to the Cheviot, as well as into the wild0- looking glen of Winterhopeburn. I came down much the same way in about half the time.

Craig Dilly and Winterhope from Clockmore

Broad Law and Cramalt Craig

Megget Reservoir and St Marys Loch with the Cheviot beyond

Back on the bike, I was tiring fast. In theory after my short climb up to the Megget Stone, the rest of my ride was downhill. However I had a feeling that following the Tweed would involve some ups and downs and the wind would probably be against me. Once I had dragged my way up the scenic final hill I enjoyed a short descent before stopping for a break by the waterfalls on the Talla Water. Then it was a boneshaking descent to the reservoir - the main reason I had gone round the circuit in this direction!

Back at the road

Is this the Megget Stone? No wonder I missed it previously!

Waterfalls on the Talla Water

Talla Reservoir

As it turned out the final miles back down the Tweed to Broughton were delightful. The wind must have flipped during the day as it was no longer against me and the scenery and light were lovely. I finally rolled back to the car shortly before 5pm and had a nice long sit down before heading back to Glasgow. As expected the Borders had provided a great weekend - I just needed to persuade myself to go there in the first place!

Craig Head above Stanhope
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Borders Day 2 - back on the bike

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:43 pm

Love Broughton, the hills around and the cafe...just don't go for "rocky road" unless you need a zillion calories and aren't worried about teeth dropping out. . I once wrote to VisitScotland and asked for a list of public toilets that were open before 8 am on all main roads to hill walking areas. They wrote back a very sniffy email saying that finding such things out would be extremely low on their list of priorities, and they doubted whether even Local Authorities would have that information, and that it was not something that would attract more people to Scotland anyway. Booo. Lots of walkers come from abroad and England to Scotland and it is JUST the thing they need to know if we don't want every field behind a gate strewn with toilet paper.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby iangpark » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:28 pm

What a loop! Glad to see you back down that way; I wish I'd gone up that Juniper Craigs rig at the time, it looks quite nice. Unsurprising that we took the same nip-up-and-straight-back-down mentality to Clockmore - it's a right bugger!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby Anne C » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Lovely to read a report from this beautiful area - I'll echo Sgurr, I love around Broughton and also around Stobo/Traquair. Nice hills - I don't think I've ever seen as much heather on hills as we had on Pykestone Hill above Drumelzier. Thankfully, there was a great path through it!
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland