walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers Five

Ben Lawers Five

Postby The English Alpinist » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:50 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 10/06/2022

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1760m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk was preceded by 'Din Law now has a cairn because I made one!'
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=112923

1.JPG
View from Creag an Fhithich (a top) back to the first 3 Munros of the round.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As so often, I was feeling the anxiety of the solo walker, partly because of a borderline forecast (at least for my comfort zones) and partly because these are quite big Munros. I needn't have worried on either count, for the wind and the squalls were easily bearable and the 'super-highway' nature of the paths in these parts made for good going and easy navigation. Ben Lawers itself loomed moodily in cloud all day long (except for after I was done with it), but I enjoyed views from all the other summits. Indeed, my main concern from what I had read and what I saw with my own eyes, was the ascent of An Stuc. I needn't have worried about that either, at least not in early June, but it certainly did necessitate scrambling 'care' higher up (ie simply don't slip). A five-Munro round also worried me a little from an energy point of view, but this was surprisingly comfortable too, taking 8 hours in total from Lawers Inn and back.

2.JPG
The adventure begins.

3.JPG
An Stuc had me worried.

4.JPG
Number 1: Meall Greigh (1001m), with the ridge all the way to Ben Lawers ahead.

5.JPG
Meall Garbh (1118m), with An Stuc awaiting.

The 'cloud' of the forecast was at a high level (obscuring only Ben Lawers summit), the showers were not too frequent (but certainly glad I had my best waterproofs), and the wind which I was walking into most of the time did not sap the strength or the balance too much, and all this was offset by a grand stroll on a very well-established route. I could say the grey cloudscape even enhanced the spectacle of this superb ridge - in fact yes I will, who needs blue skies all the time?! It was a Friday, but even so I was surprised I encountered only one guy up there, who was doing the reverse of what I was; or perhaps I should say it is I who was doing the 'reverse', since I'd knowingly chosen to go against the wind (I wanted to keep Ben Lawers as my climax, you see). He warned me of the scramble ahead on An Stuc, and also - being Scottish (broad at that) - treated me to the correct pronunciation of Ben Lawers, which I only twigged in hindsight. The conversation went something like this:
He: "You'll be doin Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas next, yes?"
Me: "Yes, and also Ben Lawers."

6.JPG
Climbing (scrambling) An Stuc, looking back on Meall Garhb.

7.JPG
An Stuc (1118m), third Munro of the day, with Ben Lawers itself ahead.

8.JPG
The Munro top, Creag an Fhithich (ahead), is well worth it for the view (see pic 1).

11.JPG
Last bit of snow of the year left on Ben Lawers?

12.JPG
Ben Lawers - four done! - 3,984 feet (1214m).

An Stuc is nothing to be feared on a decent day, and after getting down the opposite side of this (much safer) one can conclude the walk here and head back down to Lawers via Lochan nan Cat. However, I deemed body and weather conditions to be fine for Laws itself and Ghlas beyond. First, though, was the little matter of the Munro top of Creag an Fhithich - yet to be pronounced by me - which would have been inexcusable to bypass. A short pull up the crag yielded the view of the day, in my opinion, of the ridge behind and the Lochan below and Tay beyond. Ben Lawers was a simple gradient from here, although the summit experience itself was cold and squally with no view. I would have had one, splendidly, a couple of hours later, but who cares - I enjoyed an atmosphere worthy of the10th highest of the Munros!

13.JPG
The 10th highest in Britain it is.

14.JPG
Beinn Ghlas ahead, mercifully easy.

15.JPG
Beinn Ghlas 3,619 feet (1103m), job done, Meall Corranaich (beyond) not tempting enough.

All that remained was getting off Lawers in the correct direction - not difficult with a compass and the size of the paths up there - and completing my handful of Munros with Bheinn Ghlas. The ascent of this was as simple as can be, although once again it was blustery and on the chill side up there. I was even slightly tempted to add Meall Corranaich, but this would have left me with a long and foootsore road-plod back (I have a code, which I know is daft, whereby I must complete a circular tour entirely on foot, ie not beg a lift or have a driver waiting for me). My plan entailed me forging my own descent south-eastwards to link up with the fine track that flanks the lower slopes of Ben Lawers, the penalty of which was wet feet getting down to it. No matter, the job was done, and the track provided a beautiful stroll above Loch Tay to bring me full circle to Lawers Burn and back to the inn.

16.JPG
Descending south-east from Beinn Ghlas.

17.JPG
Return to Lawers.

This walk is followed by 'A Litttle Dam Walk'.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=113055&p=469018#p469018
Last edited by The English Alpinist on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Lawers Five

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:34 am

I would be tempted to rename the TR Ben Folds Five but most people on here would be too young to know what that meant.

I love the Ben Lawers range, it has so many hidden corners. Despite that I have never managed an epic 5 munros in it - normally I manage just one! eg. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=111861

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland