walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monamenach

Monamenach

Postby al78 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Date walked: 12/06/2022

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 445m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This originally was going to be a circuit including Creag Leacach, Glas Maol and Monega hill. Unfortunately when I got to Auchavan in glen Isla I found I had left my water bottles behind so had nothing to drink. I am not doing a full day walk with no water so decided to make the most of a bad job and nip up to the Corbett Monamenach which will take no more than three hours, I can manage that without a drink, and with weather conditions resembling mid March in SE England, I am not going to be sweating much.

I was a little apprehensive about finding a parking place on the way up glen Isla but at Auchavan, and a short distance along an off-road track to the right of some buildings, there is a grassy area big enough for several cars. From there it was an easy walk back to the buildings, turn left up a grassy track which I could see contouring around and up the hill, follow that up to a col where another track crossed. Here I turned right and followed this sparser track straight up to the summit, where there was a crossroads of fence posts and a cairn. The weather was ideal for walking, cool with a freesh breeze, but not strong enough to make walking difficult or unpleasant. The summit is a very good viewpoint for the surrounding hills, and to the lowlands well to the south. I was lucky the cloud base was well above the summits and the clarity of the air was very good. The munros of Creag Leacach and Glas Maol were easily recognisable to the north, and it looked like the terrain would have made for easy walking, although the drops between summits along the ridge are quite significant (~150 - 200m). I didn't stay long on the summit and came back down quickly with a tailwind and easy walking underfoot. A little under two hours in total.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_20220612_110643714_HDR.jpg
Glen Isla

IMG_20220612_114034915_HDR.jpg
Glas Maol

IMG_20220612_114055340_HDR.jpg
Looking west. The high summits on the horizon might be the Beinn a Ghlo range.

IMG_20220612_114100402_HDR.jpg
Looking south

IMG_20220612_114450452_HDR.jpg
On the way down.

IMG_20220612_114638601_HDR.jpg
Glen Isla from above.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland