walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Laxford Bridge N and S

Laxford Bridge N and S

Postby TheTortoise » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:03 pm

Date walked: 09/06/2022

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I mostly just post Graham reports on WalkHighlands but couldn't find any mention online of this walk so thought I would blog it too. After 2 days of hillwalking, and a rather uncertain forecast, we decided to take things easy and walk along beside the Laxford river. Here's our outward route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The paths are as shown on the OS map - complete path from Loch Stack Lodge to Laxford Bridge on the east side, 3 footbridges along this section, no path to start off with on the west side, but then good until the most southerly bridge, when it stops again. There is also an excellent path on the west side going out to Traigh Bad na Baigne, after Laxford Bridge. One can therefore mix and match as much or as little as you like, choose your starting point, choose which bridges to cross and how far to go. This is a lovely route, ideal for a day with a low midge forecast. The combination of the river, some trees, some crags and views of the hills are superb.
We were camped at the carpark near Lone, so drove a little distance up the road and started at Loch Stack Lodge. You do have to go in the gate of the lodge and immediately skirt the lawn to a good path below the house. This feels like invading curtilage but there were no forbidding signs and I'm not sure how often the lodge is occupied. We walked along the east side. We admired our route up Ben Stack from the north.
IMG_20220609_100029 (Small).jpg
Looking to Ben Stack from the middle footbridge
We continued on this side to Laxford Bridge , crossed the bridge and headed out beside the river.
IMG_20220609_134853 (Small).jpg
Lots of pink
IMG_20220609_114351 (Small).jpg
Looking out to sea
We had lunch at the end of the path by the bay.Then we returned to Laxford Bridge, crossed over and headed back down the east side to the first footbridge, then went down the west side.
IMG_20220609_154617 (Small).jpg
Not quite so sunny on the way back, we are about to get a little wet
At the last footbridge we crossed back to the east side to get back to the start.
IMG_20220609_165113 (Small).jpg
Brighter again, looking down Loch Stack

The midges were just coming out for the first time on our 3-day trip, and the forecast was for unsettled weather, so we headed back to civilisation. We hadn't done 2 of our planned Grahams, but had gone up Arkle instead and tried out this river walk, giving 3 varied and superb days with scarcely any driving between walks. But we had run out of food, since the original plan had us going past shops. And there are now significantly less ticks in the area, I brought quite a lot away, possibly collected on this walk which I did without gaiters. It made me wonder my tick (hill) to tick (beastie) ratio is in summer.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland