walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye 2022 Day 3, Mhadaidh & Ghreadaidh

Skye 2022 Day 3, Mhadaidh & Ghreadaidh

Postby JimboJim » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:40 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a Mhadaidh and Sgùrr a Ghreadaidh

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh

Date walked: 30/05/2022

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 997m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time to head for Skye and also get another new Munro, or two, added to list for this year. Also, managed to enlist Jaf, Andrew and Lawrence, along for the ploy :D As has happened on several previous trips, mainly around May time, the forecasts were looking horrendous .... wind, rain, sleet/snow, lightning, the lot ...... well, most, except bloody sun! Summer 2022, has so far been one big let-down!
Sgurrs (1a).JPG
Loch Harport, toward Glamaig, 3.30am. What a day ...... well, what an hour, actually :)

Anyway, lots of options were considered for our potential three days on the hills, before Jaf and Andrew opted to head for Achnashellach on Day 1, while Lawrence and I, would probably have a go at Bruach na Frithe. On Day, 2, the others were hopefully, going for the In Pinn and more, while I would decide on the day and on our final day, we all would do the two Sgurr's, Mhadaidh and Ghreadaidh, weather and guides, permitting :)
Sgurrs (2).JPG
Flat calm outside our room, Carbost. 7am, honestly! :)

The lads duly managed the In Pinn, along with Sgurr na Banachdich and Mhic Choinnich, (more of which later), so you can imagine heads were not too fresh in the Carbost Bunkhouse, when I woke up about 6 the next day, though some of the other feller's, ok, Big Jesper, had been sky diving off the top bunk in the middle of the night :lol: Andrew and I had been relatively good boys, heading for bunks about midnight, but Jaf and Lawrence, had been unable to resist the crack, whisky and bleathering, till nearer 1am! :clap:
Sgurrs (3).JPG
Eag Dubh, is the cleft to the right. Common advice is not to mistake it for the cleft on the left, An Dorus!

Anyway, we gradually got ourselves pulled together, showered, breakfasted and gear sorted by the appointed hour, heading for Glen Brittle for 9am. The weather had been quite bright and pleasant upon rising, with Loch Harport like a mill pond, however the ridge appeared to be getting swallowed by cloud, as we drove round to the Youth Hostel, where yesterdays guides, Sam and Simon, were just getting ready, as we rocked up to the last remaining parking spaces available.
Sgurrs (6).JPG
On the way in. Mhadaidh to the left of the pointy bit, Sgurr Eadar da Choire and Sa'G, to the right of it.

A bit of a team talk, check on gear, etc and we were off, up the frequently used approach to the ridge from here, via An Dorus. I don't think I can add too much to what has been said about the route, other than our growing awe of the massive rock faces gradually drawing us in. Alas, the clag was steadily closing in too, but I think the rain held off until after we had put the helmet on, at the foot of the scree.
Sgurrs (7b).jpg
Big Jesper, gets the helmet on, at the base of the scree.
Sgurrs (8).jpg
Simon, high up on An Dorus, where we planked the rucksacks, to head for Mhadaidh.
Sgurrs (9).jpg
The scree up to An Dorus.

The guides had been impressed with the guys scrambling abilities the day before and decided not to rope us up for Mhadaidh, taking the earlier branch off the gully, after we had put harnesses on, rather than heading to the top of An Dorus. They were always helpful, with wee tips, advice, guidance here and there, as well as plenty chat and banter. Good lads and I know the chaps are keen to hook up with them again on their next visit, if possible!
Sgurrs (9a) (2).jpg
Andy, showing some moves on Sa'M.

There's a few scrambly bits and some exposure here and there, none more so than the airy summit, where Big Jasper, decided to go walkabout, in what appeared to me, a rather way too carefree, manner :shock: Where the hell is he going, I thought, as he ambled by me on the narrow shelf facing Coruisk? I didn't know whether to say anything which might distract him, or just let him be, but Simon did have a quiet word in his ear and suggested he sit down pronto, as the 3000ft drop might be bad for his hairstyle :lol: ok, not quite his words, but you get my drift :D
Sgurrs (10).jpg
Team Dobbers sitting on the shelf, which constitutes the summit, Sa'M. :)
Sgurrs (13).jpg
I think this was the moment Simon, ciched himself :)
Sgurrs (14).jpg
Sam, walked along this ridge as if it were a mile wide!
Sgurrs (15).jpg
Look! Skye walkers, on summit, Sa'M - Force-sensitive human males ... ok, some will get it, some won't :)

Sat and posed for a few pics, had some grub, then headed back same way to the abandoned rucksacks, knowing the stiffer challenge still awaited us, as the rain became a bit heavier. I think we were about three quarters of an hour, for that stretch?
Sgurrs (28a).jpg
Someone on Sa'M.

We scrambled up the last 30 or so, yards of the gully to An Dorus, but the door was firmly closed on any decent views. Jaf and I were roped together and after Simon had climbed up, it was my turn. Remember the hand and footholds for the way down, he said! I was struggling just to remember how to move :) It wasn't easy but, I didn't find it too bad either, though I was happy having got that bit out the way.
Sgurrs (17).jpg
Ready to head up from An Dorus. Lot easier going up!
Sgurrs (18).jpg
Looks easy enough.
Sgurrs (27).jpg
Me n Jaf, taking great photo of fog :) SaG.
Sgurrs (28).jpg
About the best view we had of Loch Coruisg.
Sgurrs (29).jpg
Eag Dubh, or as much as we were prepared to view.

By now the rain was steady and even a bit of sleet and snow passing through. Yeugh! Not going to be great views today :( Anyway, we had more important things to worry about, as Simon guided us this way and that, round, or over what would be quite tricky bits for me without a guide. Maybe the mist helped camouflage some of the exposure along the way, but I was tense enough with what we had and manoeuvring with Jesper, constantly dragging on the rope, behind :lol:
Sgurrs (19).jpg
Look back to some folk on Sa'M.
Sgurrs (20).jpg
Jesper, heading for Sa'G.
Sgurrs (22).jpg
Simon points out who had too much whisky last night :)

Passed plenty other guides and clients, as we made our way by Eag Dubh, then The Wart and onto the summit. Yay, last of my Skye Munro's done, or hopefully would be, if we got down safely :) Although it too is an airy perch, there was a bit more room, as we shifted out the way to accommodate Lawrence, Andrew and Sam, who had been struggling to stay in our wake :lol: We declined the guides offer to visit the south top!
Sgurrs (21).jpg
Andy and Lawrence, after the climb up from An Dorus.
Sgurrs (23).jpg
Me n Jaf, follow Simon, on the last wee stretch to the summit of Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh.

Smiles all round, though mine were pretty forced :) then back for An Dorus. As usual, the descent can be a bit trickier and me and Jaf, were soon at the bum shuffling now and again, as the rock was quite slippy. We took couple of different tracks, but whether they helped, wasn't easy to judge. Then it was back to the downclimb to An Dorus, which poor Jaf, had to negotiate first :shock: He is a tall chap, but still struggled to find the right hand and footholds - what did Simon say? :lol: Took a fair bit of sprachling (Scottish word for fumbling desperately :lol: ) around on the wet rock, before he managed to get the right combination and get down to An Dorus. Thankfully for me, it meant he could now guide me to the right footholds, so my job was so much easier. Thanks, Charlie Boy!
Sgurrs (30).jpg
Me and Jaf, along with guide, Simon on SaG.
Sgurrs (31).jpg
Big Jesper, leading the way down off Ghreadaidh.
Sgurrs (32).jpg
Consider your next step carefully, Jaf.

Sgurrs (25).jpg
Lawrence, beneath the Wart. Hopefully, got that caption right way round? :)
Sgurrs (26).jpg
Bum shuffling of the highest order.

It was still a bit awkward and slippy scrambling back to the rucksacks, so it was with a big sense of satisfaction ..... and relief, we were free to remove the climbing harnesses, before slip sliding our way down the scree, to the corrie floor. Phew! From there it was an enjoyable trek back out, with plenty banter and laughter with the guides, despite the odd shower of rain, in between the now clearer, sunnier skies.
Sgurrs (35).jpg
Are you happy at your work?

Sgurrs (32a).JPG
Guides chatting among themselves, after the trek, at the foot of the scree.
Sgurrs (33).jpg
Job done ... more, or less.

We said our goodbye's to Sam and Simon, before hitting the long road home, me with Lawrence and Jaf and Andrew together. I was able to relax and look back on some great adventures and some pretty nervy times, too. Would I have managed this pair without a guide? Mmmh? Not sure. One thing i was sure of, I was glad we had a guide along with us in these conditions! Will I be back? Course I will ..... maybe :lol:
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Skye 2022 Day 3, Mhadaidh & Ghreadaidh

Postby Big Jesper » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 am

Great report and pictures Jimbo 📸 :clap:
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Re: Skye 2022 Day 3, Mhadaidh & Ghreadaidh

Postby JimboJim » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:13 pm

[quote="Big Jesper"]Great report and pictures Jimbo 📸 :clap:[/quote

Cheers, Jasper l. Now you know why I go on about Skye. Love it more than I loathe it.... I think :lol:

You should be well chuffed with your Cuillin endeavours so far. The rest will be just as exciting!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland