walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fancy a game of darts

Fancy a game of darts

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg from near Blair Atholl

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl)

Date walked: 23/04/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 930m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Now only 3 weeks till our Glen Shiel weekend(me,alan s,stretch,jb likes a beer,alastair s) where I will try once again to walk The South Glen Shiel Ridge with stretch after aborting my last attempt 22months ago after only 4.5km with my gammy knee packing in on me,so I wanted to put in a fairly long walk to see how my fitness was comming on.
Had been hoping to continue my Glen Etive spree and climb Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor but had a change of plan late Fri.So at 5.30am JB picked me up from mine,and we were at the parking area near Old Bridge of Tilt and on our wayby 7.00am.
002.JPG
jb gearing up
The weather was poor from the start,so don"t have many pictures for this one,followed the WH route for this one,through the trees onto the open moor,and followed the landrover track past Lady March Cairn and after 2hrs walkingthe Allt Snaicheachan bothy comes into view
007.JPG
Allt Snaicheachan bothy
where we would have a 10/15min break and have some food,and as it turns out a wee game of darts :lol: :lol:
012.JPG
hungry jb
008.JPG
your no Phil Taylor
010.JPG
more like Leighton Reese than GLW
.Many thanks to whoever carried in the small magnetic dartboard and darts,fairly managed to raise a laugh for me and jb after the trudge across the moor with no veiws.Found the bothy clean,tidy,plenty room inside,looked a sleeping area had been cut through the roof into the attic space.
After some food and a wee throw it was time to leave with what we thought was a last look back at the bothy, we had intended doing a loop and missing out the bothy on the way back
013.JPG
last look ha ha
The camera was now back in the bag as it was raining pretty hard and the cloud was down and we could only see 10/15 yds infront of us,the path was easy to follow all the way to the summit now and we made the summit approx 2hrs after leaving the bothy
014.JPG
gammy at summit
,The weather now was really manky,but the fun was only just begining,after summit pick there was no hanging around,so we went to check the satmap only to find it had shut down on us :shock: tried to start it back up but all we got was BATTERY CRITICAL,BATTERY CRITICAL :wtf: oh dear someone had forgot to charge it up the night before :oops: :oops: how much of a trumpet did I feel(sorry jb)Ok let"s not panic,take 5 and work the problem,eh no let"s panic a wee bit,no map,,no satmap,cant see 5 yds anyway you look,after a wee look around and trying to remember which way we came up,we caught a glimpse of the path down once the stoney summit had been cleared,took it nice and easy for the next 10/15 mintill sure it was the right way,this was confirmed when out of the clag came another walker,so took a quick bearing and walked past him with a quick hello and then kept looking at the ground looking for pole marks from our way up,luckily for us a good path was now in front of us,and we passed a large cairn we had passed on the way up,then it was plain sailing back down and past the bothy once more
011.JPG
,where a quick break was taken before the walk back out to the car.LESSON LEARNED,ALWAYS TAKE MAP AND CHARGE SATMAP NIGHT BEFORE FELT AND STILL FEEL A TRUMPET
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Fancy a game of darts

Postby ChrisW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:19 pm

I see your luck with the weather has returned Gammy.....and now this, what can I say except "you did the right thing" .... next time mate......it will all come right next time :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Cheers chris,still feel a ****,but being positive if that possible,managed to work the problem without too much of a panic,walked 28km and legs and more importantly gammy knee and ankle feel fine,roll on Glen Shiel
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Bring on Glen Shiel! All this training you're doing means I won't get to use my cattle prod that much on the ridge! Looks like you boys had fun despite the nasty conditions.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Don't feel bad Gammy. One of those things.

Your next walk is gona be OUT OF THIS WORLD - GUARANTEED...!!! :D :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Looked pretty unpleasant driving past this way today but sounds like you had some fun anyway ;). Bothy looks nice :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:14 am

Stretch wrote:Bring on Glen Shiel! All this training you're doing means I won't get to use my cattle prod that much on the ridge! Looks like you boys had fun despite the nasty conditions.

It"s the fear off the cattle prod that"s driving me on, :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:16 am

Merry-walker wrote:Don't feel bad Gammy. One of those things.

Your next walk is gona be OUT OF THIS WORLD - GUARANTEED...!!! :D :)

Enjoy all my walks MW no matter what happens,woke up this morning and feel much better than last nite
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:19 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:Looked pretty unpleasant driving past this way today but sounds like you had some fun anyway ;). Bothy looks nice :) .

Weather was pretty poor for most of the way up and down but as always happens,the minute you drop back into the glen the clouds clear of the tops,the wee bothy is very nice Leithy
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:23 am

Aye Saturday was prety dull all over. "Game of Darts" and you didnay take a beer keg in with you :lol: :lol:

Thats a good long walk so its good news your knee held out. Good luck on the SS ridge. :D
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 am

monty wrote:Aye Saturday was prety dull all over. "Game of Darts" and you didnay take a beer keg in with you :lol: :lol:

Thats a good long walk so its good news your knee held out. Good luck on the SS ridge. :D

Ta monty,knee and ankle feel great,just a light weight to carry in a case of beer m8
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby mountainstar » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:46 pm

I knew (well almost certain) that when I saw the title of this thread it must be about Allt Snaicheachan bothy! I was there just over a month ago but never got round to playing darts....was staying close to the fire that night with snow falling outside.

Allt Scheicheachan Bothy (2).JPG

Bothy 10th March 2011
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:13 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
monty wrote:Aye Saturday was prety dull all over. "Game of Darts" and you didnay take a beer keg in with you :lol: :lol:

Ta monty,knee and ankle feel great,just a light weight to carry in a case of beer m8

Great report, despite all your mishaps. :)

I always meant to ask you... do you use strapping or supports on your ankle and knee???

I'm back up to speed with my running but as yet haven't really done much hill-walking. Climbing the Cobbler tomorrow, so that should a good test of how much better my knee is!

Looking forward to your next report with the rest of the boys. Enjoy !! :)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm

pollyh33 wrote:

Great report, despite all your mishaps. :)

I always meant to ask you... do you use strapping or supports on your ankle and knee???

I'm back up to speed with my running but as yet haven't really done much hill-walking. Climbing the Cobbler tomorrow, so that should a good test of how much better my knee is!

Looking forward to your next report with the rest of the boys. Enjoy !! :)

Always wear a support round my knee polly,but never on my ankle as it restricts my walking.

Do exersises 4/5 nights a week to build up the muscle round my knee as I have a torn anterior ligament in my knee,
and the only cure would be an operation,but even then the phisyo has said there is no gaurantee this will fully work and leave me pain free, so have no intention just now of going under the knife to come out the other side and feel no better
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:50 pm

mountainstar wrote:I knew (well almost certain) that when I saw the title of this thread it must be about Allt Snaicheachan bothy! I was there just over a month ago but never got round to playing darts....was staying close to the fire that night with snow falling outside.

Allt Scheicheachan Bothy (2).JPG

Bothy 10th March 2011

Cracking wee bothy this one mountainstar,funny thing is you were the first person I thought of when the boty came into site as I know you do a lot of bothy trips,always mind reading one of your reports not long ago about always carrying out your rubbish,and if this one was dirty had in mind to give it a good clean,but thankfuly it was spotless
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland