walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the footsteps of Fife Flyer - Turin Hill

In the footsteps of Fife Flyer - Turin Hill

Postby KatTai » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Turin Hill

Date walked: 22/06/2022

Time taken: 1 hours

Ascent: 100m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having read Fife Flyers report on this one, my nearest but never done for obvious reasons if you read other reports, I decided it was time to turn this red balloon blue! I was heading into Forfar and stopped off on the way to do this first, having read other reports it wasn't one to do with the dogs making this my first dog-free Scottish Hill :shock:

I parked in the layby just outside Aberlemno rather than trying to squeeze onto the verge, but otherwise just followed Fife Flyers route up through the gates and actually crawling under the first double locked gate because there was space and it seemed easier than messing around opening and closing the gate. Headed directly up the hill from here and did a mission impossible under the electric fence, sometimes being short has its advantages :lol: I swear this area has more electric fencing than Jurassic Park, what have they got in there, King Kong?!?! Reached the summit, its a shame its such an awkward one to do because it's a lovely spot with the two forts and would certainly be a nice introduction to the hills for families if an accessible route was in place!

Glad to finally get this one ticked off, just one Angus sub-2000 left to do now (Crock).

P1300918.JPG
Oops, no dogs to pose with the trig point guess I'll have to do it instead!

P1300938.JPG
Summit cairn

P1300948.JPG

P1300951.JPG
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Re: In the footsteps of Fife Flyer - Turin Hill

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:44 pm

Thanks for the mention, having read the previous reports I was expecting a farmer to appear and give us a row. Access is obviously a huge problem and with the summit having a trig that makes it one for the trig baggers (if they exist).
I wasn't overly happy to park on the verge, but the ground was firm. We drove up & down the road twice trying to find a better parking space but we couldn't see one.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: In the footsteps of Fife Flyer - Turin Hill

Postby KatTai » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Thanks for the mention, having read the previous reports I was expecting a farmer to appear and give us a row. Access is obviously a huge problem and with the summit having a trig that makes it one for the trig baggers (if they exist).
I wasn't overly happy to park on the verge, but the ground was firm. We drove up & down the road twice trying to find a better parking space but we couldn't see one.

Thanks for putting up an easy to follow report :D

The layby wasn't great, traffic is very fast on that road and certainly wouldn't want to have dogs (or children) with me walking along there. Cut back through the farm for the return but still a dicey stretch of road to walk along. I had my running shoes on, if any angry farmer or cows showed up I'd be out of there :lol:

It's a shame, Aberlemno could have so much more potential especially with the new archaeological discoveries there but it's all held back.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland