walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Reminiscing on Moruisg

Reminiscing on Moruisg

Postby andygunn23 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:33 pm

Route description: Moruisg and Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 27/06/2021

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 1002m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Reminiscing on Moruisg

My last outing was a mammoth one on the South Glen Shiel Ridge with Andrew back at the end of May. Now nearing the end of June 2021, it was a time for a far shorter outing, and in turn a far shorter Walk Report.

Andrew was up in Aberdeen for the funeral of one of our pals on the Monday – not what anyone plans for, and definitely not at our age. Rather than mope about on the Sunday we decided if the weather stayed clear we would head north. The other Andrew was also free and even better, up for being the designated driver. The three amigos were back and Andrew Cubed set off from Westhill at a very leisurely time. I maybe underestimate the luxuries that easy day walks can afford.

We hadn’t planned for anything too adventurous and went for Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean via the route as suggested by Walkhighlands.

After gaining a bit of height

The dry path

Thankfully it had been dry for a good while before our outing so the “bog trot” really wasn’t all that bad. The path was also more distinguished than we had been anticipating.

It didn't take too long at all to reach the rocky plateau of Moruisg, we had spent most of the route up grateful for the delights of small day packs, reminiscing, and constantly reapplying sun cream.

Just off the summit of Moruisg we stopped for lunch which had been picked up hours earlier from the finest selection on offer at the Tesco in Inverness. The view towards the distinguishable Beinn Eighe was a highlight.

From here the route towards Sgurr nan Ceannaichean looked significantly more enjoyable than the route up Moruisg. It’s a real shame that some people would just head straight up and down.

Spurred by my view that a day in the hill should never take less time than the cumulative drive to said hill, we trundled along at a very leisurely pace.

Bit more character

The view from Sgurr nan Ceannaichean was pleasant, so we stopped briefly to take it all in. Gleann Fhiondhaig appeared never ending and Maoile Lunndaidh, which I have yet to visit, appeared like a giant lump, with many potential routes up.

Summit chats and views

The route down to Allt an na Feola was a bit of a slog and not good on the knees, but thankfully the poles helped enormously. By now the day felt like it was getting hotter and hotter with each hour that passed.

Once we had reached Allt an na Feola, it was after 5pm, but the sun was well and truly out so we couldn’t resist a quick dip to freshen up for the long drive back.

Nothing better

Nice and refreshed we joined back onto the path and made an enjoyable jaunt through the areas of regenerating native woodland. Again, thankfully for us the ground was bone dry so the “very wet stretch” was nothing more than a slightly damp/spongey patch for us.

Looking back up

To the car

I can’t recall much of the drive back as I am 1 day short of being an entire year behind in Walk Reporting... but I can say with relative certainty that a stop at Burger King in Elgin might have been enjoyed… law of averages.

All in all, a good day out in the hills but will likely always be remembered for the sadder reasons.

In memory of Kristian (and his questionable dress sense…) – the only one paying attention to the camera. Ben Wyvis July 2019.

Thanks for reading,
Andy

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andygunn23

Munros:232   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Islands:12

Re: Reminiscing on Moruisg

Postby JWCW2014 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:51 pm

Great trip report and a nice tribute to your friend, thanks.
JWCW2014
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1+0
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:11

Re: Reminiscing on Moruisg

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:19 pm

Sorry it was in such sad circumstances, but hill-going types wouldn't want to see their friends moping rather than climbing a hill in their memory....I think. Thanks for this. Have been invited to Glenuaig Lodge next year, and was wondering whatever I might be able to do since I'll be 84. Think I could wend back towards the road and knock off one of these at a time given a full day if I don't deteriorate further.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland