walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Glenuaig 3 Munros

South Glenuaig 3 Munros

Postby joreidy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:12 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Chòinnich and Sgùrr a'Chaorachain

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh, Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 25/06/2022

Time taken: 6.9 hours

Distance: 31.85 km

Ascent: 1754m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

activity_9088584366.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Made the most of the weather window this weekend ticking off the South Glenuaig munros. The long 5.5km walk in to the start of Sgurr Choinnich was made alot easier by bringing the mountain bike. Although I spent most of the first 3km on the hydro track pushing the bike uphill!

The wire bridge across Allt a'Chonais is no longer usable, so I had to just walk across using the stepping stones. Thankfully the water level was low so I had no issues crossing.

The stalker's path made for easy going up to Bealach Bhearnais. The first bit of proper ascent then began on my way up to the Streangan nan Aon Pacan-deug ridge. After a few scramble sections the ridge was gained and it was a fairly gentle traverse to the first munro summit Sgurr Choinnich.

IMG_20220625_122731-01.jpeg
Summit of Sgurr Choinnich looking across to Torridon

The wind began to pick up, so I quickly made my way down the zig zag path to the Bealach Coire Choinnich. There were good views on lonely Loch Monar to the south east throughout the descent.

IMG_20220625_123038-01.jpeg
Lonely Loch Monar

It was a fairly straightforward ascent up to the second munro, Sgurr a' Chaorachain. This summit had the best view of the day looking across to Bidean an Eoin Dearg.

IMG_20220625_131207-01.jpeg
Looking across to Maoile Lunnaidh

I then made my way down the mostly path less south side of Srón Na Frianich. It was a bit demoralising having to drop all the way down to 580m before the steep drag up the western nose of the Maoile Lunnaidh plateau. Once on the plateau, it was a pleasent walk across to the summit of Maoile Lunnaidh.

IMG_20220625_151937-01.jpeg
Northern Corries of Maoile Lunnaidh

The descent down the north eastern side was fairly steep. Once I reached an crom-allt, I made my way west, then north west across the boggy quagmire until the land rover track was reached.

IMG_20220625_160515-01.jpeg
Glenuaig Lodge

It was then another 3km until I reached the point where I left my bike. I then had a throughly enjoyable 15min bike ride downhill back the the start.
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

Re: South Glenuaig 3 Munros

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 pm

Very nice indeed. I am seriously thinking of these hills for one day during my annual northern odyssey in July, possibly including the Corbett across the Bealach Bearnais before heading for the bothy.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: South Glenuaig 3 Munros

Postby joreidy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:13 pm

Yea the two corbetts to the west look fairly straightforward once you reach the bealach. Although combining one of them with the munros would be a fairly serious loop!
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland