walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgùrr an t-Sasunnaich ( near Arisaig ).

Sgùrr an t-Sasunnaich ( near Arisaig ).

Postby Bretonmichael » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:27 pm

Date walked: 05/06/2022

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 315m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There seems to be a starting point on the maintenance road for the radio station ( see other review for this hill ): I only found out this well maintained broad road 3/4 of the way up my walk !
I stayed in Arisaig where the Land and Sea Centre has a map outside of the walks around Arisaig, showing the one for Sgùrr an t-Sasunnaich. Following that, I tried to find the start from the Arisaig railway station, at the back platform. From end to end ( forbidden to go further ), I couldn't find a path. I tried again the next day and found the start of a thinly mark / trampled path just at the "no walking further " right hand side notice just past the platform.
After a short climb, a rather high step-over style ( no level gate ) is to be negotiated. The climb up is fairly easy with the grass-trampled path sometimes thinly marked, other times this disappears into be rather boggy ground where you pick your own way. It's easy to look where you go with the direction of the summit visible.
A WARNING: Not so easy to get back down: you can't follow the direction of the summit anymore!
I thought it would be easy with the radio tower in view and find the maintenance road to cross again ( I wouldn't have wanted to take it anyway, as not knowing where / how far from Arisay it would end. ). not so easy: I thought I was on the path back following the trampled path, somehow took another one and found myself overlooking a rather steep slope which there was no option but going down very carefully sitting inching forward, found myself then in a shallow valley of fresh short fern which clearly wasn't there on the way up: I then knew this was the wrong way... climbing down it got into a high bracken valley which finished short by an impassable security embankment for a vertical slope; made my way up again for a good part of the climb to Sgùrr an t-Sasunnaich. There, found the main trampled path again by the radio tower... phweeew !!!.. and with still one or two short hesitations by the unmarked boggy patches, got back to Arisaig.
PS: Makes you wish on the way up you could have coloured pebbles to strew like Tom Thumb or a thin string like Ariadne to find your way back !
Attachments
IMG0095A.jpg
IMG0094A.jpg
IMG0093A.jpg
IMG0092A.jpg
IMG0091A.jpg
IMG0090A.jpg
Bretonmichael

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland