walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

quick afternoon jaunt up a local

quick afternoon jaunt up a local

Postby annamaxlennan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creag nan Clag

Date walked: 28/06/2022

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 2 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

first report! decided it was time to write one of my own as i rely heavily on other walkers reports when planning a hill, and these sub2000s don't seem to get the same treatment.

second attempt at this hill. first time i followed a walkers report (sorry can't remember your name) who basically said he headed straight up from the car to gain height then followed alongside the rock face, which sounded like a good enough plan for me. unfortunately it was too steep and unsafe for me as i have my 19 month old on my back, so we turned back after about 20 minutes. i could've rerouted and attempted from another direction but by this point it seemed like more hassle than it was worth so i called it a day.

today i had time to kill so decided to attempt again. this time going right along the path from the car towards the trees, going through a gate and following a well established path. not long after the gate i spotted an opening in the ferns and decided to just cut up this way and headed up following the fence line about 1/3 of the way up. eventually had to cross the fence and walked through waist high ferns for a few minutes, before it just became all heather. this was fine, i was expecting it but it doesn't make it any funner. given it's not a popular or well known hill there was no path or even signs of previous walkers in the heather so i just had to make my own way up. small walk over a plateau leads to the summit which gives lovely 360 views of the area. can see over to the kessock bridge and the likes of meall fuar mhonaidh in the distance. didn't stick around too long at the top because the wind was knocking us about, so we just headed back down in the same rough route we came up.

took about 50 minutes to summit, so a lovely quick walk to pass time. as other reports say, its short drives to the surrounding hills to climb these too but too much hassle getting my daughter in and out of her carrier then in and out of the car, so we will save these for another day we need something to do on.

for some reason it won't let me add photos this time, so hopefully can come back and edit with photos in.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

annamaxlennan
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland