walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Donachain

Beinn Donachain

Postby rob munbett » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:38 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Donachain

Date walked: 29/06/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.64 km

Ascent: 715m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was staying in the bridge of Orchy lodge for a couple of nights with friends, which was a good base for this hill. No-one else fancied this walk so I set off myself down Glen Orchy to the Falls of Orchy car park, which was empty when I arrived at about 10.30. Boots on, I crossed the bridge across the falls to follow the forest track in a wide loop towards the hill. There was a junction with a signpost with 'mountain access' but that was for those heading to the Corbett Beinn mhic Mhonaidh. I walked across a flat meadow area (with a picnic bench!) then went through a gate into a woodland reserve - the path was extremely boggy at this point and there were some streams to splash through. I exited this woodland through another gate, still following a good track up through the trees. I had checked out this route on Google Earth and I had noted that there was a stony track not marked on even the most up-to-date maps which came out of the woods just below Cruach nan Nighean. I found this easily and although it was steep, it brought me out just where I wanted to be. A short, steep ascent on tussocky, boggy ground and I was on the summit of Cruach nan Nighean, looking down on Heart Loch and over to Beinn Donachain.
IMG_20220629_123201.jpg
Heart Loch and Beinn Donachain from Cruach nan Nighean
I haven't mentioned the weather yet - it was not good for the end of June. There had been torrential rain the day before so the ground was sodden and more rain was falling on my way up the hill but there were some clear spells. Would I be lucky and get to the top of my Graham during a clear spell? I think we all know the answer. Anyway, it was dry as I headed down towards the lochan between the two hills. The terrain was awkward, with a few deep peat-hags, but not too bad as I headed towards the deer fence. My SMC book had described a 'ladder style' but it just wasn't there: instead there was a newish looking 8ft fence to negotiate, which, fortunately, had good, strong posts and was pretty taut. Once over, I set off up the final ascent to find the small cairn marking the top.
IMG_20220629_125649.jpg
Over the deer fence, heading up Beinn Donachain
However, as (bad) luck would have it, the wind got up, the clouds rolled in and the rain pelted down. So, it was a quick scout for the cairn and back down to the fence where it was more sheltered.
IMG_20220629_121137.jpg
Weather coming in - gore-tex time!
Needless to say, as I headed back towards Cruach nan Nighean, the sun broke though and I was treated to some great views up Glen Orchy.
IMG_20220629_133204.jpg
Looking up Glen Orchy towards Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh
Not much to report about my walk back to the car save to say that the picnic bench on the flat meadow was very much appreciated. I sat there for quite a while enjoying my tea and sandwiches, listening to the nearby river and smelling the scent of recently watered wild flowers. A lovely memory.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland