walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Alltbeithe Three from Loch Cluanie

Alltbeithe Three from Loch Cluanie

Postby Spingalonga » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:26 pm

Date walked: 23/06/2022

Time taken: 12.5 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

$matches[2][/attachment]
IMG_Path cutting across to MnD.JPG
Route leading to Loch Corie nan Dearcag
IMG_An Soacath - Millie summit.jpg
An Socach looking north
IMG_Looking South downAn Caorann Mor.jpg
The view south towards Mullach Fraoch- Choire
IMG_Altbeithe.JPG
Tent beside Alltbeithe Youth Hostel
[The starting point for tackling the 3 peaks north of Alltbeithe Youth Hostel was from Loch Cluanie by the pass An Caoran Mor. Park in the approx 0.5km west of the path leading to Alltbeithe. This is part of the old A87 - beware of huge potholes that could cause damage to some cars. The path begins as a track and is reasonable for the first 3 miles. Once it diminishes to a single footpath it becomes more boggy in places.
attachment=9]$matches[2][/attachment]
[image][/img]

The total length of the path is approximately 7 miles and keeps on the east side of the water courses at all times and the path tends to be usually approximately 10 meters above the height of the burns. Eventually Alltbeithe Hostel comes into sight.

The time taken to reach the Youth Hostel, depends upon the load you are carrying and underfoot conditions. With a full pack for camping I took 2.5 hours, as I was with my dog, which did not allow me to stay in the Youth Hostel, but staying in the hostel would have been restrictive
IMG_1876.JPG
Alltbeithe Youth Hostel comes into view

With tent erected and bulk of rucksack emptied it was now time to start the walk in earnest.

Ttere is a good path that takes you north at first and then east before heading north up the side of Allt na Faing. This path is good and easy to follow. Make sure you fill up bottles with water as you near the top of this path, as there is often no drinking water to be had for the remainder of the walk, which could be 7-9 hours.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Once the top of the path is reach, as small cairn is found. Note this well as it is also your route back down to the Youth Hostel. You need to decide here which peak to climb first. The main peak I wished to climb was Mullach na Dheiragain, but I decided to climb An Socach first, as I knew the light would be against me if I tackled the other 2 hills first, and I may have been inclined to not climb the easiest of the three hills. There are fine views both north and south from this point.

I decided to leave my rucksack here and just take a map and compass, as sit is only a short climb from here. It took me 25 mins, reaching the summit at 4:45pm.

It was a quick decent to the cairn and pick up my rucksack. The best option I felt was to now head for Mullach na Dheiragain. I walked for about 5 minutes west towards Sgurr nan Creathreamhnan keeping a look out for 2 small cairns indicating a rough path sloping down towards Loch Corie nan Dearcag. The path comes and goes but angles down at an easy angle down towards the north end of the lochan. This route avoids you climbing Sgurr nana Ceathreamhnan twice in the walk.

Once the lochan is reached head up to the long ridge leading to the Mullach na Dheiragain. Once the ridge is reached a good visible path leads all the way to this Munro, however the path appears to veer off to the left and avoid the summit, so take care in the cloud and mist. You can also go a bit further as I did to the end of the broad ridge. The walk along this broad ridge was most enjoyable with good views if the weather is clear.

To walk the entre ridge and back to the base of the climb up the third and final Munro of the day can take 2- 3 hours. The final climb up the good path, with a little scrambling provided a decent accent of this fine peak. I reached the summit as the cloud came in, so no view on this occasion for me. From the summit of the first Munro to Sgurr nan Creathreamhnan, took me 5.5 hours, so be prepared for a long day. It took me another 2.5 hours to get back to the campsite beside the hostel arriving well after "lights-out", if such rules still exist in hostels, as it was midnight when inside my tent. The next day it took me 3 hrs to get back to the car with a view back at Sgurr nan Creathreamhnan.
attachment=0]IMG_Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan.JPG[/attachment]
IMG_Mullach na Dheiragain ridge.JPG
Mullach na Dheiragain

From my experience, I would use the same route again, but this route is really only possible in May, June or July.
[[attachment=2]
Attachments
IMG_Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan.JPG
Sgurr nan Ceatreamhnan from path to Cluanie
IMG_Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan from An Socach.JPG
Sgurr nan Ceatreamhnan from An Socach
IMG_Path up to ridge.JPG
Path up Allt naFaing
IMG_1875.JPG
Photo shows the An Caorrann Mor path heading north, once it becomes a single track.
Spingalonga

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland