walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three generations on Liathach - a dream come true

Three generations on Liathach - a dream come true

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:20 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 01/07/2021

Distance: 7 km

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I often looked at the mighty hulk of Liathach and assumed it was beyond my capability to ever climb it. But reading reports on this site began to make me wonder and in 2017 I managed an ascent of Mullach an Rathain from the back. That left the eastern peak, Spidean a' Choire Leith, to be done some other time (or not!). Time went on and every so often the niggling question returned until I realised at my age it had better be soon - or not at all. 8)

Here's the photographic evidence of the tantalising foreplay to the main event. Though the truth is I'd been overawed by this mountain long before I ever captured its formidable face on camera.

Liathach from the road (May 2012)
DSC_0057-large.jpg

From ascent of Beinn Eighe (May 2012)
DSC_0084-large.jpg

Spidean a' Choire Leith from north side (May 2012)
DSC_0141-largec.jpg

From Loch Clair (March 2016)
DSC_0721-large.JPG

Spidean a Choire Liath on right from Mullach an Rathain (July 2017)
IMG_3396-large.JPG

Pinnacles closer up
IMG_3395-largec.JPG

The chosen day was 1st July 2021. My support group were Ian who'd done the full traverse before, Feng who was in the Mullach group in 2017, son David who was in the Mullach group and grandson Finlay, who'd previously done 5 Munros and a few Corbetts.

We got parked in the usual space at the side of the road and off we went, crossing the Allt an Doire Ghairbh and up the path on the far side. Ian and Feng were quickly in the lead and I said to them to go at their comfortable speed and we'd regroup later. I knew I wouldn't keep up with them and in fact their "comfortable speed" meant we didn't meet up again until half way along the ridge! Fast I may not be but I was absolutely buzzing to be doing this climb. Looking back we could see the car gradually shrinking below us. It's not often you can see your vehicle for most of the day.

Glen Torridon (July 2021)
IMG_1744c.JPG

Following the course of the Allt an Doire Ghairbh
IMG_1745c.JPG

Well made path with solid steps in place, steep but nothing difficult
IMG_1746c.JPG

Waterslide
IMG_1747c.JPG

I'm grateful to David who took it upon himself to keep an eye on his old mum on this climb. He'd adopted a similar role on the Forcan ridge in 2012, telling me what to do on the trickier bits, which worked out well and gave me confidence for whatever lay ahead this time.

My minder for the day
IMG_1748c.JPG

IMG_1749c.JPG

Last tree on the way up
IMG_1750c.JPG

Following grandson Finlay into coire of Toll a' Meitheach
IMG_1751c.JPG

Way ahead looks blocked but path swings to the right
IMG_1752c.JPG

The path led up a couple of rocky hands-on-bits but nothing difficult. The views of the upper part of the mountain were magnificent. Only one person overtook us on the way up, which was surprising on a picture perfect Saturday on Liathach. When he passed me I felt I was going about snail's pace but he said to David (who was ahead) his mum was doing great. Comments like that can be surprisingly encouraging when we feel we're making a pig's breakfast of something. :wink:

Steep terraced side of Spidean a Choire Leith
IMG_1753.JPG

All of a sudden the path topped out on the ridge and we had our first view of the wild lands to the north. I always love seeing over to the other side.

First view north
IMG_1754.JPG

What was different about this mountain to others, like next door Beinn Eighe, was that often on reaching the ridge after a steep climb there's a sense of being able to relax as walking becomes easier. But not on Liathach. There's no relaxed leg swinging ambling along this ridge! :o The exposure is immense and if anything concentration goes up a notch as it's no place to slip or lose ones footing. Even though I'd read about the route I'd not taken in quite how exposed and rough it is. As WH puts it there is mild rock scrambling en route to the ridge and awkward bouldery terrain along it.

Finlay clapping his dad and granny on reaching this high point on ridge
IMG_1755.JPG

Somewhere about here another walker joined us and we got talking. He said if it wasn't inappropriate could he ask how old I was. I've never seen the point of being secretive about age, it just being an objective fact and neither to our credit or discredit. So I told him and he said he always found it humbling to meet people who were that old in places like this! Not quite sure how to take that. We got talking some more and it turned out he works as a psychiatrist in a hospital (in England, but I'll not say in which city) and said he spends his days with very crazy people. When Feng heard what he'd said his immediate response was "No different today then". :lol:

Spidean a Choire Liath summit is three tops along
IMG_1756c.JPG

Exposed path
IMG_1758c.JPG

View east to Beinn Eighe
IMG_1759.JPG

View back to eastern top Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig
IMG_1760c.JPG

The full group reunited
IMG_1763.JPG

Feng and Ian met us on their way back from the Spidean summit and on their way to the eastern top Stuc a' Coire Dhubh Bhig to get the best view of Beinn Eighe across the trench of Coire Dubh. While they were doing that we continued in the direction of the highest point of the ridge, Spidean a' Choire Leith. Finlay was in the lead which wasn't intentional but simply because he's fast. A bit further along we stopped where there was a rare grassy patch to relax and have a bite to eat and it became clear Finlay wasn't his usual happy self. He didn't say what was wrong but I think the exposure had got to him. Being the slow one I decided to push on and leave the other two to come on when they were ready, once David had done a bit of motivational dad chat. :thumbup:

So off I went taking care to put my feet in the right places amongst the quartzite boulders.

Second top of Stob a' Coire Liath Mhor
IMG_1764c.JPG

Once on the second top I looked back for David and Finlay. There was no sign of them but another walker was approaching so I waited and asked if she'd seen a young lad with his dad. Yes, she'd seen them and they weren't for coming any further and would wait for me at the spot where I'd left them. David told me later that Finlay had said his head wasn't in the right place for going further. Physically he could have done it but I think the exposure was too much and it was perceptive of him to realise he needed to stop.

This put me in the tricky position of not wanting to keep them waiting longer than necessary, but also knowing I had to be careful. There was a path all the way but it was awkward with angular shaped boulders and not a place to stumble or twist an ankle. The upshot was I didn't take all the photos I should have taken, including one of the famous Am Fasarinen pinnacles, which I have to admit I was relieved I wasn't about to traverse. 8)

The final ascent to SCL summit
IMG_1765c.JPG

Mullach an Rathain and pinnacles (Ian's photo)
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-02 at 2.12.52 PMc.jpg

The wild lands to the north
IMG_1767c.JPG

East to Beinn Eighe which I walked with Kath in 2012
IMG_1766c.JPG

It was good to get back to the other two who were patiently waiting and David took a selfie to mark the occasion. As far as I was concerned the lad had done well conquering this mountain, which all my life had looked unassailable! He's got the rest of his life to come back and do the full ridge, which I've a feeling one day he will. :thumbup:

Three generations on Liathach
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-01 at 2.01.16 PMc.jpg

Snaking ridge
IMG_1768c.JPG

Not a place for a slip
IMG_1769c.JPG

If anything the path down from the ridge was more difficult on the descent. Loose stones and gravel are one thing going up but can be lethal going down and a couple of times I took to a spot of bum-shuffling which gives the jelly-legs a short break, but wins no points for style. Despite these difficulties Finlay skipped down like a mountain goat and David had the challenge of keeping one eye on his son who was ahead and his other eye on his mother who was behind. But we all got down unscathed and it was good to meet up with Ian and Feng again back at the car.

That tree again
IMG_1770.JPG

On the drive home I had to pinch myself that it had happened. It was a fabulous day. The weather and conditions couldn't have been better and I'm grateful to the others for coming and especially to David for giving me the confidence I needed. It was for me more challenging than An Teallach (though to be fair I was younger then) and I can understand why so many call Liathach their favourite mountain. It's a privilege to have been there. It was a dream come true.
Last edited by dogplodder on Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Three generations on Liathach - a dream come true

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:35 am

Lovely report and congratulations :D The exposure has put me off, as a predominantly solo walker. I can picture myself getting cragfast halfway along with no one to talk me patiently along! Glad you had the team, and look forward to Finlay's report of conquering his bête noir some time in the future :wink:
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby Anne C » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:42 am

Terrific!
Well done ten times over :clap: :clap: and I SO admire your ability to cope with that exposure. Your path photos (best I've seen) have convinced me finally :) that it's no place for me - I'd never make it from very early on on that ridge. My husband has been trying to persuade me to climb that Munro for years :lol: but I've always resisted.
Like you, I loved Mullach an Rathain by the 'back' route.
I hate descending on gravel/loose stones these days too and am painfully slow - agree, lethal! Years (well, decades) ago I never gave that kind of descent another thought and skipped down, not a pole on sight.
There's nothing like being on a hill with your nearest and dearest too - always so special.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby tweedledog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:39 am

Many congratulations Kathleen. As you know, I love Torridon so it was a great pleasure to see your pictures and read the vivid report. I'm very attached to Liathach - did the traverse back in the day - but don't think I could manage it now. Balance is still OK, but as 80 approaches it's the physical limitations that bear in on the mental ability to handle the exposure. And, of course, the descents. I recall once being deeply disconcerted picking a way down the steep slope at the western end and being overtaken by a guy running! A cheery wave and he disappeared at pace.
I share in your happiness at having done both summits. Well done.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:36 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Lovely report and congratulations :D The exposure has put me off, as a predominantly solo walker. I can picture myself getting cragfast halfway along with no one to talk me patiently along! Glad you had the team, and look forward to Finlay's report of conquering his bête noir some time in the future :wink:

I certainly wouldn't have attempted it solo. Also am glad to report that a few weeks ago Finlay was on the Grey Corries and was very happy to be there!

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-29 at 9.12.21 cPM.jpg
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:06 pm

Brilliant :clap: :clap: . This is a beautiful report, both your description of the mountain (with wonderful photos) and the story of the group of you and how you came to be there. I think this really helps us understand what the mountain demands of us when we dare to walk on it. Massive respect for Finlay for having the wisdom to know when things weren't right for him, that's a big lesson to learn. I loved the humour and support you got from David, Iain and Feng. Your multi generational trips are inspirational - all power to you, your family - and friends.

(PS. I've come down that route too - VERY SLOWLY - and might even have a photo of the same tree!)
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:21 pm

Anne C wrote:Terrific!
Well done ten times over :clap: :clap: and I SO admire your ability to cope with that exposure. Your path photos (best I've seen) have convinced me finally :) that it's no place for me - I'd never make it from very early on on that ridge. My husband has been trying to persuade me to climb that Munro for years :lol: but I've always resisted.
Like you, I loved Mullach an Rathain by the 'back' route.
I hate descending on gravel/loose stones these days too and am painfully slow - agree, lethal! Years (well, decades) ago I never gave that kind of descent another thought and skipped down, not a pole on sight.
There's nothing like being on a hill with your nearest and dearest too - always so special.

There's nothing technically difficult about the part of the ridge I did. What concentrates the mind is the exposure on the parts where if you slipped you'd very possibly end up dead! :eh:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:13 pm

tweedledog wrote:Many congratulations Kathleen. As you know, I love Torridon so it was a great pleasure to see your pictures and read the vivid report. I'm very attached to Liathach - did the traverse back in the day - but don't think I could manage it now. Balance is still OK, but as 80 approaches it's the physical limitations that bear in on the mental ability to handle the exposure. And, of course, the descents. I recall once being deeply disconcerted picking a way down the steep slope at the western end and being overtaken by a guy running! A cheery wave and he disappeared at pace.
I share in your happiness at having done both summits. Well done.

Have to confess to a touch of envy you did the whole ridge back in the day. Well done you! :D
dogplodder

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:52 pm

Oh, this is just lovely - and inspirational for all those of us not in the first flush of youth :clap: - thanks for posting! You got grand weather for it, too.
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:54 pm

:clap:
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:19 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Brilliant :clap: :clap: . This is a beautiful report, both your description of the mountain (with wonderful photos) and the story of the group of you and how you came to be there. I think this really helps us understand what the mountain demands of us when we dare to walk on it. Massive respect for Finlay for having the wisdom to know when things weren't right for him, that's a big lesson to learn. I loved the humour and support you got from David, Iain and Feng. Your multi generational trips are inspirational - all power to you, your family - and friends.

(PS. I've come down that route too - VERY SLOWLY - and might even have a photo of the same tree!)

Thanks Liz. It was an epic day and one I'm not sure I could repeat now. Just very thankful. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:28 am

bobble_hat_kenny wrote:Oh, this is just lovely - and inspirational for all those of us not in the first flush of youth :clap: - thanks for posting! You got grand weather for it, too.

Thanks, from one in the last flush of old age! :lol:

The weather was perfect. :D
dogplodder

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland