walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morven - First serious walk of the year

Morven - First serious walk of the year

Postby chrisoff » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Route description: Morven, from near Logie Coldstone

Corbetts included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 23/04/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We finally managed to set aside from free time that coincided with a half decent forecast on Saturday and decided to get off the mark for the year with a walk up Morven. A local hill which meant plenty of time to get up and down then relax for a bit before going out for dinner at 6.

Setting off a little later than we intended the sun was still shining when we arrived at the car park marked on the walk highlands map so we had high hopes of getting up and down before the rain which was forecast for later in the day. We set off over the stile beside the car and crossed the field towards the abandoned farmhouse, scattering a flock of wooly friends as we went and trying in vain to catch a photo of the lapwings as they performed aerobatics nearby.

Unfortunately as we slogged up the hill and got closer to the shoulder beneath the first small cairn it was clear that our hopes were going to be dashed. The sky around us and above got darker and darker as we climbed higher and by the time we reached the middle cairn we had been enveloped by the clagg. Boo. Imagine my suprise then to be greeted by someone coming the other way wearing shorts...

"Hello! How's the view up top?" asked I.
"Bwahahahahahahaha" said he. "You'll see".
"Or not" I replied. Ah the humour of those that know they're now on a futile quest.

We briefly considered stopping for lunch to see if it would lift at all or even turning back but the map indicated that it was just a short sprint to the summit and the path was well defined at this point so we pressed on.

As we now expected there was nothing to see at the summit and even more annoyingly we could hear loads of interesting bird calls which seemed just metres away. Couldn't see a single one of the culprits though. Instead we snapped a couple of quick summit pics on top of the cairn and tore into some lunch in the windshelter as the rain finally arrived.

We didn't waste much time and soon headed back down the hill with my camera now back in it's case and in the rucksack as there was only so many pictures of a mist covered path I wanted to take. I briefly spotted a deer running from us but by the time we got to the point were I saw it the beast had long disappeared into the clagg.

Once we cleared the mid cairn again air cleared slightly and we could now see a bit further ahead. Past the small cairn towards the shoulder and we could again see the surrounding area and were finally free of the fog. Unfortunately we weren't free of the rain though so we got the heads down and concentrated on getting down to the car.

Off the shoulder and in sight of the car again we noticed it had been joined by another one but I couldn't see anyone approaching us on the path up. Shortly after the reason for this became clear as we saw an older couple bumbling around in the heather far to our left.

"Is there a path over there?" they shouted
"Er... yes" I replied.

Turns out they'd parked at the bottom, headed straight into the woods then climbed over walls and barbed wire before scrambling through the heather in an attempt to reach the top. Dunno what they were thinking of when they set out that day but they at least appeared to have thought to take waterproofs with them as they started to put them on once they joined us on the path. They asked us were the path we were on ended up at the bottom so we told them it ended right beside the cars.

As we went our seperate ways I handed them the walk highlands printout so they could hopefully stay on the correct path all the way up should they decide to continue in the increasingly foul weather. Perhaps they'll notice the URL and decide to use the site next time they plan a walk.

We reached the bottom as the rain eased off a little and the lapwings were still making noise and having fun. The view at the top may have been non-existent but it was great to get out of the house and properly stretch the legs for the first time this year. Hopefully that sets us off for the summer now and we can get a few more under our belts with slightly better weather on top next time!
Morven00001.jpg
View from the car park
Morven00002.jpg
Disused farmhouse
Morven00004.jpg
Getting higher but can still see the car just
Morven00010.jpg
Almost to the shoulder
Morven00011.jpg
Last glimpse of the car for a while
Morven00013.jpg
Getting darker...
Morven00015.jpg
Still a couple of snow patches up there
Morven00016.jpg
Approaching first cairn
Morven00020.jpg
Ok, where'd the view go?
Morven00022.jpg
At least we can see the summit cairn
Morven00028.jpg
Right seen enough, lets get off this rock.
chrisoff
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Morven - First serious walk of the year

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 am

good to see you guys getting out, i was camping nearby last weekend and did think about heading up Morven but ended up going to Glen Prosen.

Shame about the lack of view, bloody weather.....

New job going well?
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby monty » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:11 pm

An interesting tale chrisoff.
"Hello! How's the view up top?" asked I.
"Bwahahahahahahaha" said he. "You'll see".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

headed straight into the woods then climbed over walls and barbed wire before scrambling through the heather in an attempt to reach the top
Why use the path when you can make it seriously difficult for yourself if you try a bit harder :lol: :lol:

At leaset you got some nice photos. :D
monty

Postby chrisoff » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:good to see you guys getting out, i was camping nearby last weekend and did think about heading up Morven but ended up going to Glen Prosen.

Shame about the lack of view, bloody weather.....

New job going well?

Aye the weather is a pain. We seem to be cursed every time we actually try and get up a hill. Last time we set out to do Lochnagar the cloud was sitting just above head height at Loch Muick so we just went round that instead.

The new job's good. Still settling in and getting used to everything so it's a bit slow just now. The boss was away on his honeymoon when I started so that didn't help but I'm sure it'll pick up soon enough!
chrisoff
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Unlucky with the weather chrisoff, I was up there in March and it was beautiful.....if you want to see some pics from the summit have a look here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10274 :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby chrisoff » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:39 pm

ChrisW wrote:Unlucky with the weather chrisoff, I was up there in March and it was beautiful.....if you want to see some pics from the summit have a look here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10274 :lol:

:problem: Thanks for that... :lol:

Nice pics, I guess we'll just need to go back and walk up it again in clearer weather sometime.
chrisoff
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland